Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Ahh, to think I had to go almost a whole day before finding a good old fashioned ADTRW over-analyze-every-anime-into-creatively-bankrupt-pedophilia-due-to-self-loathing-over-liking-anime post. Does a body good to know some things never change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

DrSunshine posted:

C'mon. Just because he voiced an unpopular opinion doesn't mean we just have to dismiss it off-hand. I think it's perfectly valid and legitimate for someone to say "I was put off by the content of this and this is why." That's not unreasonable. Actually, the weirder thing is how we, as a forum, tend to put our hands over our ears and ignore subtext and analysis in some kind of opposite reaction to CineD.

And to be fair, the fanservice/dress-up scene was a bit weird and lewd in the manga too -- however, it was just a one-off chapter and it doesn't really set the tone for all the rest. I take it a bit like that first chapter of Centaur's Worries, I almost stopped reading the manga at that point.

Look, of course everyone is entitled to their own opinions and feelings and limits upon good taste, and everyone can drop a show for whatever reason they want. I may even be willing to admit that the guy has a reasonable point. But I personally think there's a fair number of people on this forum who are way overly sensitive to stuff along these lines.

Now, being overly sensitive is not the worst thing on this subject because there's plenty of questionable content in anime these days, and its not exactly getting better as more harem shows and incest fantasies and lolicon bait and what have you get churned out season after season. It deserves to be noted, discussed and criticized, both in the universal moral/ethical/social terms that one can discuss any art in, and in specific terms of the insights it gives us into the culture that creates it. But I don't think most people around here are so quick to lash out at LENGTHY BATHING SCENES or whatever the sticking point of the show is because of their grand moral fiber. In my opinion the main reason for the attitude is reactionary bluster born from a desire to feel superior to other internet anime communities like 4chan or MAL who are (perhaps rightly) demonized for their grossness and habit of reveling in said grossness.

I mean, goons have that attitude on every subject in every forum, I'm not pretending otherwise, but to me at least it's always seemed particularly pronounced around here and it bugs me. Half of the "I dropped this show because X was too gross for me," posts come across less as an attempt at criticism and more as an attempt to curry E-Street Cred because it's cool to hate anime on this anime discussion forum. Maybe that's unfair, maybe I'm even projecting to an extent, but that's how I see it, and it particularly grates on me when you have a good fun IP like this one and someone just has to come in and let us all know about THE SECRET PEDOPHILIA its hiding based on 3 minutes of content across four episodes or whatever.

...that ended up being more of a rant than I really hoped. Oh well.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Knorth posted:

Hibiki is rough but pretty sweet, I like her and her voice actor

Poor dumb Machi :kimchi:

I'll never get tired of the Traumatized By Insane Driving trope. Even more so since I came to Japan and found out how REALLY REAL it is. I'm from SoCal and these people terrify me.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Hey, how about that hilarious bear and that Miko who's bad at video games, huh? Funny stuff.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Aku posted:

Well even out in the boonies, if there's a shopping center nearby, there's at least one pachinko parlor or mom&pop arcade with pachinko/slot machines.

I'm out in the lesser inaka of Ibaraki Prefecture, and I can at least confirm that of the 30+ rural towns I've either visited or passed nearby on various train lines, not one has lacked a Pachinko parlor within easy walking distance of the station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Maximum level bad at technology.

I really didn't think anybody could beat Rin Tohsaka and the DVR, but we did it.

• Locked thread