Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Osama Dozen-Dongs posted:

That doesn't really answer what's up with it. Aren't the Japanese famously, hilariously racist against the Ainu? Why is it just there without any comment? Why's she wearing that over her miko dress? Is it a marker for something that I don't get? Is the author some sort of Ainu sympathizer?

Basically, it looks old and traditional. Which is the aesthetic the artist is going for. Besides, us Americans don't have a good track record w.r.t Native Americans but we'll gladly wear their patterned tshirts or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I wonder how far into the manga this show will get - translations have stopped at chapter 14 but I've seen raws that I want animated.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I can't find any info about it being licensed - who picked it up?

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
That was great. They're really making this a worthwhile watch for people who have read the manga already.

They're, uh, intensifying some scenes that were originally shorter/tamer. I guess it's understandable. Last episode had a lot of still frames with no dialogue, which felt like filling airtime.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Nico broadcasts keep pulling in 98% 5/5 votes for whatever that's worth.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I've learned not to watch this show at work. Did they tone her down from the manga, at all? I remember her being kind of scary.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
That joke worked a lot better in the manga where it was, like, a single page. The comedic timing just fell apart

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
It's a holdover from the mid-Zorak days of ADTRW. A bunch of posters got banned for lolicon stuff, so the whole forum was put under the microscope. Nobody wanted to look like they enjoyed the ins anely sexy anime-related pics so everyone was being as visibly outraged as possible.

Really, it's calmed down since then. A poster like Dark_Tzitzimine wouldn't have lasted a second there.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
The A-part was great. Acting as the arbiter between a criminal and a bear is probably the only fun Machi gets to have in that village.

This is where the existing scans run out. Everyone from here is brand new, which I'm happy about.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Yeah, geez. There's "charmingly shy" and then there's "literally unable to talk to people without breaking out into a cold sweat."
Machi doesn't need quizzes, she needs a therapist.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Just a mention that the previous bear was a real tough guy compared to Natsu. I wonder if there's only one talking bear allowed at a time.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Looking through the raws, I can't find the events of the last episode? Also it's far more cute, less creepy, and paced better.

Hope it continues to be translated. The raws up to chapter 27 while we only have chapter 15.

HellCopter fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 19, 2016

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Episodes 11 and 12 were 100% anime-original. Don't let them turn you off the manga.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
No, but the social anxiety works better as a joke when it's Machi blushing for a panel instead of "7 second slow zoom on her face with sad music playing". She spends a lot more time having fun with the other characters too.

And generally she's too proud to ask how things work. She wants to be a cool modern girl.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Eventually, craving death but unable to die, Machi stopped thinking.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
They adapted ~15 chapters while still leaving out some scenes. Give the manga a few months and there's a second season easy.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Reading ahead it looks like more funny side characters and less opportunities for the animators to break it. So yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
They liked the other episodes well enough. It's probably too late for this to affect the OVA episodes that are coming with the Blu Rays, if that was ever an option.

• Locked thread