Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Most people do not have a deep understanding of historical events or how people used to live, including me of course. Which is why often certain myths and misinformation tends to stick around. So lets get get some rules up:

1. Should you debunk a myth give either a brief explanation for why it is a myth or provide a link where someone could find the necessary information within a reasonable amount of time.

2. If its not obvious explain where the myth is portrayed.

3. Debates will happen because people disagree about certain points, so try to point out the more obvious myths if you can.

4. If a debate happens use sources, but be charitable and explain what the source says and make it easy for others to use your sources.

The myth that usually annoys me is the idea that using a bow, and particularly a long bow requires little strength, which is why it is reserved for skinny ladies in RPGs and in some historical movies. This is usually contrasted with how melee combatants would supposedly be the strong ones., which is an advantage, but which is not ultimately necessary. Where as with a longbow you had to be pretty strong. This passage from wikipedia on English longbows tells us this:

quote:

"Training[edit]
Longbows were very difficult to master because the force required to deliver an arrow through the improving armour of medieval Europe was very high by modern standards. Although the draw weight of a typical English longbow is disputed, it was at least 360 newtons (81 pounds-force) and possibly more than 600 N (130 lbf), with some estimates as high as 900 N (200 lbf).[citation needed] Considerable practice was required to produce the swift and effective combat shooting required. Skeletons of longbow archers are recognisably adapted, with enlarged left arms and often bone spurs on left wrists, left shoulders and right fingers.[22]"

Also, this is my first post so i apologize in advance if this is bad, i just hoped this would be a safe place to err a bit and test the waters.

Midig has a new favorite as of 05:16 on Apr 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread