Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Darko posted:

The big problem with Miami Vice is that, as I've heard, Foxx threw a tantrum and got tired of shooting the film, and they didn't do the climax yet, which was planned to a big location-set sequence - so the movie just kind of fizzles out and builds to nothing in particular.

Makes sense. I really didn't like Miami Vice outside some of the cinematography, but a lot of that is due to Foxx too. It was a huge disappointment (I never saw the TV show either so I didn't have any expectations about it) especially coming after Collateral and I loving loved Collateral--the LA feel is absolutely perfect and Tom Cruise was excellent in it.

I think it's the last real good movie he did which is sad since it's over 12 years old by now but I think it's tied with Heat for me as a Mann-favorite and just one of my favorite action movies ever. But really they could have got anyone whose slightly bumbling enough to play Max in there too and in some ways Foxx also brings it down just a little bit there as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Cacator posted:

What's more unrealistic is the thought of people using public transport in LA (the script was originally set in New York)
LA is getting pretty drat good public transit and has been building it out for awhile. They have 8.8 million boardings a month for rail alone, and 26.3 million on the bus system. https://www.metro.net/news/ridership-statistics/

I'm glad they actually set it in LA. It really worked out quite well and captured some of the LA very nicely with isolated sprawled out disconnected feeling. I don't think it'd have been nearly as good if it was set in NYC

• Locked thread