Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
It's definitely not a good film but I really like The Keep. I'm kind of annoyed it's so difficult to find as I'd love to give it another watch. The production design and photography are stunningly beautiful in places. The interior of the castle it's set in is really haunting. And I love the score.

Ian McKellen's sick old man make up is dreadful though. Plus it's a drag in parts even with the cuts. God knows what Mann's version would be like to sit through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky

Problematic Pigeon posted:

Huh, Xander Berkeley also pops up in Heat in one scene as the guy Hanna's wife cheats on him with. Also, Wes Studi plays both the bad guy Native American in Last of the Mohicans as well as one of Hanna's detective buddies in Heat. The latter is one of the few roles I can think of played by a Native American actor where the fact that he is Native American is not called attention to in any way.

Maybe I've not seen enough of his films but quite a lot of Wes Studi's roles seem to not make mention of him being native American. Pretty sure it doesn't get brought up in Mystery Men or Deep Rising. Both are terrible, but Wes Studi has relatively big roles on them.

The Keep turns out to be on Netflix in the UK right now. Excellent. Re watching it I'm reminded how weird it is seeing Michael Mann do supernatural stuff. I think his style suits it really well. It's what makes it such an odd film I think. It's a pretty out-there film in terms of subject matter (occult Nazis and Weird War 2 nonsense) but Mann's style is slow, haunting, and hyper realistic. I think almost all other films covering this kind of stuff have an action/comedy sensibility.

It's a definite recommend from me for anyone who likes Mann in general. So drat strange.

• Locked thread