Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

it's up on Amazon Prime right now, pops up on Netflix on occasion too. maybe this thread will finally inspire me to give it a watch.

Does the Amazon version have the original soundtrack? The first time it was on Netflix it had other filler stuff that was sort of similar (I think somehow it was still Tangerine Dream music but just not the stuff used originally?) necause of some obscure rights issue. But then like a year or two ago it was in Netflix again with the real music intact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

LloydDobler posted:

Also noteworthy is that Heat was the first movie Pacino and De Niro were in together. I think that was sort of a coup for Mann at the time.

This is true, there was definitely hype for how both Corleone patriarchs were on screen at the same time (they were both in Godfather 2 of course but didn't share any scenes for obvious reasons).

When the movie came out I remember it was actually criticized a bit for doing this but then not having them share more screen time in the same shot. Crazy.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I finally read about that new edit of Blackhat Michael Mann screened. I really hope that gets released at some point (the article implied that Mann hadn't actually finished it and that he seems to re-edit movies he did years ago just for kicks?).

I love Manhunter but if I can own four different cuts of it than they can sure as hell get out a second cut of a recent flick like Blackhat where all the assets/etc. are likely much better preserved.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

There's actually even nine! There was a VHS release in 2000 (when Hannibal came out everyone rereleased Silence/etc.) that's called the theatrical cut but has some totally different shots in it. It was also shown on WPIX and some other TV stations under the name Red Dragon. :O

To me the best overall version of the movie is the director's cut Anchor Bay released later under the DiviMax line. This is basically the same as the one on the two disk limited* one Anchor Bay did earlier but is a much nicer transfer (and has a Michael Mann commentary). The Anchor Bay one is so bad because it's a "director's cut" but is treated like the laser disk original Star Wars trilogy on those sets, like the (brief but important to me) scene where he meets Chilton was clearly taken from someone's old VHS recording of a TV cut of the movie.

The movie is on blu-ray now but has anyone done a comparison to know which version they went with for that

*It's "limited" but don't worry they made like 50,000 copies of it and no one bought it. One cool thing about it is it comes with a "case profile" envelope with photos/bios of the major characters.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 18, 2016

• Locked thread