Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
LA Takedown owns, and Last of the Mohicans is absolutely better than you're remembering it to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

sean10mm posted:

To be fair they were starting with the work of a terrible writer.

http://twain.lib.virginia.edu/projects/rissetto/offense.html

This is so vicious I'm surprised it never hurt Twain's reputation.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
JFC got ethered.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Ben Franklin was the Roastmaster General.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The totally uncommented-on Alice subplot in Last of the Mohicans is incredible.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Hey 1994 Al Pacino, your motivation in this scene is "cocaine".

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I watched the Insider for the first time yesterday and it was brilliant, as much as I love Thief and Last of the Mohicans this is almost certainly his best movie.

Christopher Plummer is excellent in that.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I really want to see Blackhat recut.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Black Bones posted:

I recall reading that they filmed a scene of her making out with Uncas, maybe even implied sex, but it was cut.

They do leave in a crucial scene, when Uncas and Hawkeye are having their wounds dressed by what's her face and Alice. The Hawkeye/English Patient romance weirdly functions as subtext, to the Uncas/Alice romance. She wants to be free of this genteel courtship and giving away, but also likes being a lady. She wants a little independence and here comes this earthy hunk. Best of all, he's white. But Alice isn't like that, she doesn't want the Disneyfied Leatherstockings Tales version of a Mohawk. It may look like she merely objectifies Uncas and how fit and dark he is, but the intensity of her attraction to him is so evident that you could establish it in like 20 seconds.

It could so easily come across like she just wants to gently caress this guy but it's one of the most effective and surprising "love at first sight" moments I've ever seen in a movie (for another example, see Ray Liotta and Debi Mazar in Goodfellas), and that's not something I exactly expected from Mann.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Vegetable posted:

I really loved The Last of the Mohicans when I saw it over five years ago and really want to see it again on a big screen. How do you guys feel about its racial politics, though? Its portrayal of noble savages and white saviors hasn't aged well at all, I think. I can still enjoy it as a popcorn flick but I guess I wish we got a bit more nuance to the Native American characters.

Magua is the coolest hero in any Mann film, period.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's interesting what now seems quaint from that movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Absolutely, To Live And Die In LA is straight up a fake Mann movie. It's too bad the soundtrack is goddamn Wang Chung and not Tangerine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That's a great theory, and Flashdance is really not that different from Days of Thunder or Top Gun.

• Locked thread