Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Neo Rasa posted:

When the movie came out I remember it was actually criticized a bit for doing this but then not having them share more screen time in the same shot. Crazy.

The diner scene is famous for being shot without the two of them on set at the same time. It's like the only scene in movie history(to that point at least) where De Niro and Pacino actually converse, and they weren't even on set together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Thats not true

Hollywood myth?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Trick photography.

Seriously though that's crazy, I know I've heard/read about them not really delivering their lines to each other in that scene.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Heat is definitely De Niro's movie. Pacino was already into that phase of his career where he was a parody of himself, but De Niro put in a vintage performance. Maybe one of his last depending on your opinion.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

I never liked the complaints about the end of Collateral being silly and turning Jamie Foxx into an action hero or whatever. A big part of the movie seems to be about Vince pushing Max to become a man of action and not just an impotent dreamer.

I agree. I'm never understood what about his actions in those scenes says "action hero". Because he's able to pick up a gun and aim it? He's clearly shown to be tentative about it, and there's a huge difference between the way he handles the gun versus the way Vincent does.

Max gets lucky at the very end, plain and simple. Like you said, its about him finally having the balls to stand up to Vincent and let the chips fall where they may. There is nothing "action hero" about the way Max holds the gun or how he randomly sprays bullets into the door. He's just backed into a corner and he's doing anything he can to survive. And he gets extremely lucky.

I'd expect people to have more of a problem with Vincent's perfect foreshadowing of his own death with that "man dies on a train and nobody notices" story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The Shout Factory blu ray doesn't say anything about a directors cut or two different versions, so I assume its the theatrical cut. I don't think Shout Factory would be lazy/uninformed about that kind of thing, if it were a directors cut they'd say so.

• Locked thread