Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Vegetable posted:

I really loved The Last of the Mohicans when I saw it over five years ago and really want to see it again on a big screen. How do you guys feel about its racial politics, though? Its portrayal of noble savages and white saviors hasn't aged well at all, I think. I can still enjoy it as a popcorn flick but I guess I wish we got a bit more nuance to the Native American characters.

Considering the time it was made (24 years ago, around the time of Dances with Wolves) and the source material, I thought Mann did a fantastic job with his portrayals. I especially like the speech Magua gives for his motivations, and the part near the end at the Huron village really plays into the complex relationships that Native Nations had not only with each other, but with the European colonists as well.

I mean yea at the end of the day its about a white man adopted into a native tribe on a mission to rescue white women from the other "bad" tribe, but such is the source material that Mann has to work with, and I think he does about as well as he could given the times and it still holds up today. That could also be an indictment on Hollywood though that one of the few movies that tries to show the complexity of Native Nations during the colonial period and stars many Native American actors came out 24 years ago...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread