Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
Great thread. Mann's work is divisive to me like it is to a lot of people but I genuinely love a few of his movies - The Insider is his best for mine.

I too watched The Last of the Mohicans because of the thread and it's an excellent piece of work. That final 10 minutes is unbelievably good (quite possibly the best sequence of his career) and it made the whole movie work for me. It's the kind of emotional/visceral payoff that most other directors couldn't have brought to life.

I love how brisk the whole movie is without feeling rushed too. That kind of pacing in a period piece really worked in favour of the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Vegetable posted:

I really loved The Last of the Mohicans when I saw it over five years ago and really want to see it again on a big screen. How do you guys feel about its racial politics, though? Its portrayal of noble savages and white saviors hasn't aged well at all, I think. I can still enjoy it as a popcorn flick but I guess I wish we got a bit more nuance to the Native American characters.

It feels dated and is definitely heavily romanticised but I don't necessarily feel it paints the Native American characters in a bad light. I thought Magua was a good character and had motives beyond being a 'savage'. From the sounds of it a lot of development for Uncas was cut which is definitely a shame, I felt he and Chingachgook could have used more backstory and screentime considering the important roles they play.

I feel like a lesser movie would have had the final fight between Magua/Chingachgook instead been between Magua/Hawkeye and I appreciated that it didn't go in that direction.

For mine the politics in the film can leave you feeling a bit seedy and the focus on the white characters is easy to see but the scenes between Native Americans in the movie are still emotionally resonant and strong. It didn't feel as off in that regard as something like The Last Samurai.

• Locked thread