Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Pacino's performance is paired with De Niro's perfectly, though. In an opposites attract kind of way, they're a couple. It's all in the colour of their suits. McCauley is dispassionate to the point of isolation. He's a skilled thief, but not a passionate one. It's a job that he's perfect at. He wears a grey suit, his life is stripped of colour. His personal life is bare out of necessity. Pacino is the opposite. His ability as a cop stems completely from his passion. He loves doing what he does and approaches it with emotional intensity. His personal life is neglected because there's no thrill in it compared to police work (note the only time he successfully interacts with his wife or her daughter is during a crisis, the daughter's suicide). He wear's darker suits, throughout. In the end, when McCauley goes back for Waingrow, an act of passion and justice, an act not driven by cold rationality, he swaps his grey jacket for the dark blue jacket of the hotel, because he's driven by something other than necessity.

There is so goddamn much to that movie. I've ended up watching it a dozen times or so, and every time I do, there's a little detail I missed the last time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

I agree. I'm never understood what about his actions in those scenes says "action hero". Because he's able to pick up a gun and aim it? He's clearly shown to be tentative about it, and there's a huge difference between the way he handles the gun versus the way Vincent does.

Max gets lucky at the very end, plain and simple. Like you said, its about him finally having the balls to stand up to Vincent and let the chips fall where they may. There is nothing "action hero" about the way Max holds the gun or how he randomly sprays bullets into the door. He's just backed into a corner and he's doing anything he can to survive. And he gets extremely lucky.

I'd expect people to have more of a problem with Vincent's perfect foreshadowing of his own death with that "man dies on a train and nobody notices" story.

It's also that Max actually adapts. He improvises. For all Vincent's talk about it, he's in a rut too. And it's exemplified by him doing the same shooting pattern he always does.

• Locked thread