Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I'm one of those people that didn't really care for the Miami Vice film. Don Johnson's Crockett was cool as gently caress. He would charm you, crack a joke, and be all smiles one minute. Then transition into deadly seriousness, anger, or shock a few minutes later. I had major hype for the movie when it came out, and just felt extremely disappointed by Farrell's Crockett. While Johnson was Miami cool, Farrell was more Florida panhandle cool.

Also, the Vice pilot with Tubbs going into the NY nightclub set to The Deele's Body Talk was a hundred times better than Linkin Park. gently caress that noise forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Loved the Tangerine Dream music from Thief and The Keep (and while not a Mann flick, Risky Business as well). I think I actually remember more of the soundtrack to The Keep than the movie itself.

I saw bits of LA Takedown on YouTube, Mann always gives his characters cool cars. I think Hanna drove a Buick Gran National. Also, looking on IMDb now, I did not realize that Michael Rooker and Xander Berkeley were in that (as Bosko and Waingro respectively).

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Problematic Pigeon posted:

Huh, Xander Berkeley also pops up in Heat in one scene as the guy Hanna's wife cheats on him with.

Vincent Hanna posted:

I'm angry. I'm very angry, Ralph. You know, you can ball my wife if she wants you to. You can lounge around here on her sofa, in her ex-husband's dead-tech, post-modernistic bullshit house if you want to. But you do not get to watch my loving television set!

I enjoyed that scene way too much.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I like that, but I think I still prefer Moby at the end.

The Insider has pretty good music too:
https://youtu.be/o9qCEEy2XcU

Edit: Any Robbery Homicide fans in here? I still have a bunch of VHS rips on my old computer and that show was top notch. It was a better Miami Vice than the movie was IMO.
https://youtu.be/lhNvRWFo-HI

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Apr 12, 2016

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I don't think Vice(tv) is on Netflix or Amazon anymore, but if you get the chance, check out the episode "Out Where The Buses Don't Run". It's perfect early Miami Vice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

For some reason, I absolutely love the poo poo out of the shot in Manhunter when Graham steps into the elevator at the hotel he's staying at right before he reviews the home videos of the killing at the beginning. It's just so 80's-cool and totally Mann. Also, Will checking his voice recorder and camera in the cop car in the beginning sticks in my brain. It almost seems unnecessary to put in the film, but it's just little things like that Mann puts in his films to show that his characters are skilled at utilizing the tools of their trade.

I love the old school brass check that Caan's character does in Thief.

"I am the last guy in the world that you wanna gently caress with".

Edit: Photos are from IMFDB, a really awesome site for movie/firearm fanatics like myself.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 07:16 on May 18, 2016

• Locked thread