Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Miami Vice is great, Linkin Park and all, and so is Blackhat. :colbert:

bullet3 posted:

That's a good point I hadn't thought about before. In what universe is Pacino's character able to afford THAT house on a cop salary

The answer is two posts above you:

SouthLAnd posted:

I'm angry. I'm very angry, Ralph. You know, you can ball my wife if she wants you to. You can lounge around here on her sofa, in her ex-husband's dead-tech, post-modernistic bullshit house if you want to. But you do not get to watch my loving television set!

Dead Snoopy posted:

Blackhat just strikes me as this underfunded movie which was never really supposed to have a North American release.

The worst part of the film's 3rd act is where the characters make preparations to confront the bad guy.
millions at their disposal and a knowledge of self-defence and they elect to create prison-style armor out of magazines from a pharmacy - lol

Millions of dollars won't buy much in the way of guns and body armor in a country where you don't speak the language and don't have any connections and are on a tight schedule. People roll their eyes at Thor being a hacker but I assumed he went into prison a regular dude and "gladiator academy" gave him the muscles. But you do have to wonder how he gets out of prison with a full designer wardrobe. I wish Blackhat was popular enough to give us a commentary track.

Michael Mann is great and I hope we get at least one more crime film out of him before he retires. He's big on body language and characters feeling right, which is something I'm way into. He had Mark Ruffalo do full weapons training for Collateral even though he never sees any action just so he seems capable of that kind of thing. The cut of Tom Cruise's suit is something that would come out of SE Asia at the time, where he probably lives. Stuff like that is really cool and has an effect on the audience even if they don't know it.

He's creating a Michael Mann line of novels which has the potential to go either way but I'm optimistic.

Edit: Jacob Knight at Birth.Movies.Death does some great writing on Michael Mann. http://birthmoviesdeath.com/tag/michael-mann

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
drat that's pretty cool and I think I might prefer it to the Moby Song. Also LOL at the idea of Mann using blues for Thief. I'm glad we got the one we got.

• Locked thread