Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
from Wikipedia: "In January 2015, it was reported in The New Yorker that Mann is developing a film about Ferrari founder Enzo Ferrari.[16]Christian Bale was originally cast to play the title character, but later dropped out citing health concerns over the weight gain required to play the role"

Christian BALE? :sadpeanut:

Like, that just makes NO sense. How bad is this loving script really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Blackhat just strikes me as this underfunded movie which was never really supposed to have a North American release.

The worst part of the film's 3rd act is where the characters make preparations to confront the bad guy.
millions at their disposal and a knowledge of self-defence and they elect to create prison-style armor out of magazines from a pharmacy - lol

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
there are so many amazing character performances in Heat that the one which is always overlooked is Dennis Haysbert as Donald, the last second replacement driver at the final bank robbery. His character is given a backstory and time to breathe and there is an amazing moment in the film where he is self-pitying himself against an AMAZING score in the backdrop and says the line, "Whatcha doin' with me Lilly?" that always gives me chills.

I can't find the scene on youtube anymore but here comedy alternative #1 - https://youtu.be/YdxIOxg-8_8

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Collateral is one of the few movies I've ever experienced when people actually broke into applause in the theater during the movie's finale.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Absolutely, To Live And Die In LA is straight up a fake Mann movie. It's too bad the soundtrack is goddamn Wang Chung and not Tangerine.

See, this is an interesting take to me because I've always maintained that To Live And Die In L.A. is the buggy prototype of all of the 80s/90s Bruckheimer-Simpsons projects . It has the same formula but was darker and buggy:

- high concept, w/ good looking male lead
- 3-4 action set pieces
- cast interesting character actors, immediately recognizable to the audience, in supporting roles for flavor
- modern pop/rock soundtrack
- striking/slick visual style

Really, aside from a very unconventional ending - killing the male lead in the theatrical cut - a lot of that template was used in those Bruckheimer-Simpsons films.

TLADILA comes out in '85
- Flashdance in '83
- Beverly Hills Cop 1 in 84
- Top Gun in '86
-Beverly Hills Cop 2 in '87
- Days of Thunder '90
- Bad Boys & Crimson Tide both in '95
- The Rock in '96

Now, I do see flaws in my theory. Flashdance isn't an action film and it definitely gets the credit for ushering in the importance of the modern movie soundtrack (w/ a collection of pop artists) before TLADILA is released and Beverly Hills Cop also is released before it but MAYBE Bruckheimer-Simpson saw a private cut of the film while they were working on Beverly Hills Cop and admired it. Beverly Hills Cop 1 doesn't really use recognizable supporting character actors the way its sequels would and the way the subsequent productions of these producers would.

Anyways, its a flawed theory but a fun one I've harbored considering its cult-like status.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Yeah but what I'm proposing is that they were influential on the [Bruckheimer-Simpsons] producers' recipe, not the hired guns of the producer themselves. I'm not suggesting it was a film of widespread influence, I just suspect it had a core influence on these particular producers. The other ripples are incidental at best.

• Locked thread