Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Vegetable posted:

I've only seen his pre-2000s stuff. The Last of the Mohicans is absolutely riveting and its last 10 minutes are iconic, with minimal dialogue and a rich sense of movement. If not for the fact that it's kinda sorta at least a little bit racist people would be harping on it more, I think.

To be fair they were starting with the work of a terrible writer.

http://twain.lib.virginia.edu/projects/rissetto/offense.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Keep in mind who you're talking about here. Mark Twain could have practically eaten a baby and it wouldn't have hurt his reputation much, to my understanding.

Also Twain was often super abrasive and gave no fucks, and that was part of his popularity in the first place.

There probably needs to be a :dealwithit: using Mark Twain's face.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

JFC got ethered.

Last Twain derail post: he said Jane Austen's writing made him want to dig up her corpse and beat her over the skull with her own shin bone.

:fry:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

The Keep is a classic example of a movie where the director had the kernel of a good movie in his head, but between them and us the movie got so chopped up that it turned into gibberish. I didn't know it when I saw it, but the fact that its run-time was cut in HALF is the least surprising thing. It's also Mann trying to do something completely different from anything he did before or since, so it's worth checking out for that if you're bored and feel like watching some weird poo poo.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Considering the time it was made (24 years ago, around the time of Dances with Wolves) and the source material, I thought Mann did a fantastic job with his portrayals.

You can argue some unfortunate implications are baked into Last of the Mohicans - it's a fine line between ending on a note of "The future of Native Americans is going to be loving dire" and "Native Americans are going to ~fade away~ and it's Real Sad but whelp" for instance, and it's still centered to some extent on a white hero guy saving the whitest white women to white the place up.

But holy poo poo it is so much better in retrospect than Dances With Wolves that it's ridiculous. It's not perfect, but it's still ahead of the curve in many respects. Avatar aped all the parts of Dances With Wolves that feel kinda gross now and got away with it, after all.

• Locked thread