Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Mann is one of my favourite directors and Heat is my favourite film, but it's been diminishing returns on his films since Collateral. Miami Vice is a huge guilty pleasure of mine but I understand why it has a more negative reputation. And I think Public Enemies was hurt by the digital look, it really doesn't suit period pieces. Blackhat was just a huge disappointment from every angle, especially the score :( (although it was one of the best depictions of Hong Kong I've seen in a Hollywood movie) Here's hoping the Ferrari pic goes through, I could see it being a more Insider-ish turn for him.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

HP Hovercraft posted:

Everyone who dislikes Blackhat is wrong, it's amazing, watch it again it needs two viewings at least.

I've seen it twice. I'm more or less okay with it up until they head to Malaysia (also Hemsworth is totally miscast even if he is based on a real hacker), the villain is uninteresting and the showdown at the end is just dumb, not to mention a little racist. It's also the only Mann movie I can think of that has a totally forgettable score.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

Hollywood myth?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

LloydDobler posted:

And the things I love about Heat are all the sub themes throughout. It's a super long film and yet I wouldn't call any of the scenes wasted or throwaway. They all serve to drive one of the many themes along. The main one being how the cop and the criminal aren't all that different. Their desire for love and normalcy in spite of how it doesn't really fit in to their lives, how sharp and in tune their instincts are in regard to their jobs, etc etc etc.

Over the countless times I've seen Heat I think my favourite scenes in the film slowly ended up being the ones between Neil and Eady:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOpqdTeYMC8

I don't know why more movies don't feature relationships based on loneliness... Too close to reality?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Fun fact, De Niro's grey suit and white shirt (along with Cruise's outfit in Collateral) were chosen because according to Mann it's much easier to blend in or be forgettable while wearing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

I like that Vince tried to put two in the chest and one in the head of Max, but he hit the doors instead of Max. Earlier he talked about I Ching and being able to adapt and whatever, so maybe it means he's too rigid in his own beliefs or something.

This is basically the theme of McCauley in Heat too, he has his rigid rule of dropping anything in 30 seconds when he feels the "heat" (movie title!) around the corner and then can't let his vengeance against Waingro go and that's what gets him killed.

Basebf555 posted:

I'd expect people to have more of a problem with Vincent's perfect foreshadowing of his own death with that "man dies on a train and nobody notices" story.

What's more unrealistic is the thought of people using public transport in LA (the script was originally set in New York)

• Locked thread