Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Cacator posted:

Mann is one of my favourite directors and Heat is my favourite film, but it's been diminishing returns on his films since Collateral. Miami Vice is a huge guilty pleasure of mine but I understand why it has a more negative reputation. And I think Public Enemies was hurt by the digital look, it really doesn't suit period pieces. Blackhat was just a huge disappointment from every angle, especially the score :( (although it was one of the best depictions of Hong Kong I've seen in a Hollywood movie) Here's hoping the Ferrari pic goes through, I could see it being a more Insider-ish turn for him.

This is the post that describes my feelings best so far, so I'll just quote it.

A great thing about Last of the Mohicans is that it's both a dick flick and a chick flick. Action, romance, honor, duty, defiance, freedom, betrayal, sacrifice and redemption all thrown in. I'm a grown rear end man but I absolutely lose my poo poo and have to choke back tears through the entire end sequence starting where Duncan sacrifices himself, Hawkeye mercy kills him, and then they chase down the ladies. I'm not sure if Alice was in love with Uncas or if she's just acknowledging his sacrifice, but the stone cold look of defiance on Alice's face as she backs away from Magua to join Uncas over the cliff is one of the greatest movie moments of all time.

Good god.

Spoilered for the OP and anyone else who hasn't seen this movie recently or at all. Go watch it.

And the things I love about Heat are all the sub themes throughout. It's a super long film and yet I wouldn't call any of the scenes wasted or throwaway. They all serve to drive one of the many themes along. The main one being how the cop and the criminal aren't all that different. Their desire for love and normalcy in spite of how it doesn't really fit in to their lives, how sharp and in tune their instincts are in regard to their jobs, etc etc etc. The scene where De Niro catches on to the surveillance is another greatest movie moment of all time. When he stares straight in to the infrared camera that the cops have on him it's incredibly creepy and intense.

Also noteworthy is that Heat was the first movie Pacino and De Niro were in together. I think that was sort of a coup for Mann at the time.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

This thread has persuaded me to rewatch Heat. Outside of the bank robbery shootout, I never particularly liked this movie, but it's been 10+ years so let's see how I feel now. Watching The Insider for the first time and rewatching L.A. Confidential reminded me that Dante Spinotti is a god.

Opposite for me, I've always loved and continue to love Heat, but this thread prompted me to rewatch The Insider (possibly my least favorite Mann movie) and I had the same reaction I did the first time, it's about an hour too long. I know it's a revered film but I just can't get into the third act at all.

Maybe it's because I was raised in a harshly anti-smoking household but my biggest problem with it is that he has a huge revelation about big tobacco... that everybody already knows every detail about and doesn't care. Smokers smoke and non smokers don't, regardless of whatever facts exist. It's like having the smoking gun that a prominent politician is a philanderer or a high ranking priest is a pedophile. Or a rock star has an addiction. I can barely bring myself to care that Big Tobacco is threatening his family, because it's pointless. They really should just let him testify because everyone, especially smokers, know that cigarettes are addictive poison, they just don't give a gently caress. So when they have the big conflict and crisis over news integrity and putting it on the air, and then drag it out for an hour, I've already completely checked out emotionally.

It's a story/subject problem for me, not a directing problem or performance problem. I even think Russell Crowe is great in this, and I usually dislike him in anything except LA Confidential.

On the plus side this thread also reminded me that I've never seen Manhunter which is now sitting on my TV stand ready to watch today.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 11:15 on May 15, 2016

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

In a post-Reagan post-fairness doctrine USA I can't believe anyone actually found it shocking or surprising. Hell, the idea that a corporation would try to addict you to its products was already a punch line in popular culture before the events of the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKRFlNryaWw&t=98s

On the other hand I've been cynical for a very long time now.

On a more positive note, Manhunter was excellent. A bit dated at times but what else could you expect? The Blu-Ray restoration made it look really fresh, and Mann's long, lingering shots were something to savor.

Nerd alert: I really enjoyed finding one continuity error due to some work history I have in the tape drive industry. At the beginning, Crawford makes a point to specifically tell Graham that they made copies of home movies for him on "Half inch video tape" which would have been either VHS or Betamax, the new standards exploding for home users at the time, but the cartridges he's watching later are still massive 3/4" relics from the 70's.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

DrVenkman posted:

Does the Blu have any of the other cuts on it?

I have no idea, I rented it from Netflix and the envelope said "Theatrical cut" but I didn't even look at the disc to notice who the publisher was or anything. I didn't notice any bad quality shots but mostly because I got sucked in to the story and I only noticed the super nice shots when they lingered or were high detail like a face close up.

If anything, the cuts and editing during the final gunfight were noticeably atrocious, things like the shot going off, then a horrible time delay before the camera angle changes and the victim goes flying, or their squibs go off. I just chalked it up to 1986.

• Locked thread