Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

kaworu posted:

Sometimes good cinematography is marked as much by technical prowess as it is the emotions or feelings that it might evoke, sometimes by way of nostalgia via visual memory. For instance, the cinematography in Collateral is good (to me) because it captures that feeling of being driven around LA at night in a cab - the lights, the sounds, the tone of the colors, etc. It's extremely evocative.

Or the radical cinematography at the end of Manhunter (which isn't digital) is fantastic and original and really makes the entire experience far scarier and more visceral and sudden than it would otherwise be, with these tiny jump cuts underscoring the unreality of everything. It really feels like you're there.

The unscripted, serendipitous coyote scene really hammers this home. It's really like you, and the actors, and the camera, are just there. (Edit: in Collateral, obviously)

Also his music choices are not questionable, even when they aren't good. He picks songs that are intensely of the moment of their filming. Like, what could work better for thrillers about assholes set in Bush era Florida and Southern Cal than fucken Audioslave and Linkin Park?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

sean10mm posted:

To be fair they were starting with the work of a terrible writer.

http://twain.lib.virginia.edu/projects/rissetto/offense.html

God drat

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Radio Spiricom posted:

Yeah, there's an interview with him about Thief where he talks about why its shot the way it was (i.e. slick city streets at night, shallow focus cinematography that turns all the lights into floating orbs) which is because he thinks that it really captures what he describes as a three dimensionality to the night (presumably here meaning a heightened sense of reality/verisimilitude) and how it turns everything into a tunnel, which is interesting and I think the shift into digital only adds to this in those films.

As for the music comment, it was a bad joke, but I know he has expressed some mixed feelings about choosing the Tangerine Dream score for Thief in this DGA interview, because going with that immediately dates the film, and that if he had the choice to redo it he would go with "wall-to-wall blues." I'm not a huge fan of the Audioslave cue in that scene, but I love the Numb/Encore cue in Miami Vice, especially in the theatrical cut, and I think one of the big mistakes he made was moving it from being a cold open in the director's cut. I'd hesitate to call it intensely of the moment, though, it was like 3 years after that record was released. And for as much as I love Public Enemies, which is a gratuitous-as-hell film in general, the electric guitar during the Prety Boy Floyd sequence is especially gratuitous (although coming as early on as it does in the film I think it really draws attention to the point of it, which is the contrast between the period piece setting and the digital cinematography.) I would say the rest of his choices are appropriate for the mood of his films. Also I feel bad for Atticus Ross in re: Blackhat.

Public Enemies is clearly a whole different thing, but I don't think it matters that whatever record the Audioslave song was on was a few years old at that point. Even people who were alive for it won't be able to distinguish 2002 from 2004 in fifty years (or now, for the most part). The time setting of fiction that doesn't revolve around an historical event just isn't that precise. That cue feels very early 2000s, post 9/11 and is extremely appropriate to Vincent's quasi-meaningful philosophizing. He says he's all about jazz, but this evocative moment makes him think of radio rock. The song choice is characterization, not curation. If Vincent had survived, he'd have been listening to the same stuff while executing Iraqis for Blackwater a couple of years later.

• Locked thread