Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
So here's a treat. Mann has a notoriously touchy relationship with composers (He'll often hire more than one composer, not telling the other), and Elliot Goldenthal wrote a piece for the end of HEAT that Mann threw out and replaced with Moby. Whats sort of interesting though is that there is a likeness between the two which makes me wonder if Mann asked for something that sounded like the Moby track or if that gave him the idea fot the Moby track. The Goldenthal take was eventually used for the end of MICHAEL COLLINS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqKVQXgWa68

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Human Tornada posted:

drat that's pretty cool and I think I might prefer it to the Moby Song. Also LOL at the idea of Mann using blues for Thief. I'm glad we got the one we got.

I think it's almost great, it just needs to be stripped back a little. I like the Moby track a lot, but it's sped up and has no real bass to it. I don't really know why Mann uses composers at all since he likes to gently caress them any chance he gets.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

greasyhands posted:

I still get upset that Luck was cancelled because they kept killing horses. That show was really setting up to be great, but no one seems to have watched it really. I think mann only directed the first episode but he co-created and produced it (I think) and it had his fingerprints all over it.

The horse deaths were just a convenient excuse for HBO to get rid of a very troubled production. Mann and Milch are both very controlling and it mad a terrible set to work on, with Mann effectively prohibiting Milch from being there (For those who don't know, Milch will often just rewrite dialogue the night before, or the morning of shooting). In reality, and as many people on set attested to, the horses were treated the way they should've been and the humane society didn't have an issue with it. It was just some real unfortunate accidents.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Did anyone hear about that re-edited version of Blackhat?

http://blogs.indiewire.com/criticwire/theres-a-new-version-of-michael-manns-blackhat-and-its-really-different-20160211

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I mean, Pacino's character was supposed to be a guy who was scoring from the drugs they were confiscating, so its not surprising that his performance gets wild at times. However his silent performance at the end is great. He has this great weariness on his face, and this sense of loss that you don't need him to articulate because it's all right there.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

LloydDobler posted:

In a post-Reagan post-fairness doctrine USA I can't believe anyone actually found it shocking or surprising. Hell, the idea that a corporation would try to addict you to its products was already a punch line in popular culture before the events of the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKRFlNryaWw&t=98s

On the other hand I've been cynical for a very long time now.

On a more positive note, Manhunter was excellent. A bit dated at times but what else could you expect? The Blu-Ray restoration made it look really fresh, and Mann's long, lingering shots were something to savor.

Nerd alert: I really enjoyed finding one continuity error due to some work history I have in the tape drive industry. At the beginning, Crawford makes a point to specifically tell Graham that they made copies of home movies for him on "Half inch video tape" which would have been either VHS or Betamax, the new standards exploding for home users at the time, but the cartridges he's watching later are still massive 3/4" relics from the 70's.

Does the Blu have any of the other cuts on it? For a time there was the DVD release that had the original cut, and then one that came with that and the Director's Cut (With some really poor quality footage), but the Anchor Bay set had the 'Theatrical Cut' that was actually a hybrid of the Theatrical and DC. It would be good to have a set that makes things a little clearer.

Saying that, I think the DC of MANHUNTER is a mixed bag and honestly feels like Mann just tinkering. Some shots or moments are longer, while others feel shortened (Including the first scene in the hotel of Graham reviewing the tape of the murdered family). The only real addition comes when he meets with Chilton. This site here has a list of the changes http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=1299 however according to the comments there's at least 4 different versions of the movie out there, with two separate cuts being marketed as the 'Director's Cut'.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

gently caress sake. Supposedly the only real actual theatrical cut (Aside from I guess the initial VHS) is an old Laserdisc release. Everything since then has been a hybrid cut.

Also, for some crazy trivia, Mann initially wanted William Friedkin to play Lector.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

They're also pretty good friends.

Also, Petersen is fantastic in both movies. It's a shame that he didn't really have much interest in movie acting and largely did it for the money. He's that mix of (Sort of) leading man looks and scuzzy character actor.

• Locked thread