Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Solid OP that I mostly agree with although I will say that Miami Vice is totally like the TV show, all style and angst. Love it.

Also Mohicans has an intolerable first act or so that I always forgive once they get to the fort. The climax might be my favorite sequence of all of Mann's work. It's the finest example of the best parts of any of his movies, when there's no talking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I watched the Insider for the first time yesterday and it was brilliant, as much as I love Thief and Last of the Mohicans this is almost certainly his best movie.

Best part of that flick is when Russell Crowe gets called into that office, goes to sit down, and the view slowly cranes downward until you see that there are two ominous looking dudes sitting in chairs behind him. Thoroughly chilling.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Vegetable posted:

I really loved The Last of the Mohicans when I saw it over five years ago and really want to see it again on a big screen. How do you guys feel about its racial politics, though? Its portrayal of noble savages and white saviors hasn't aged well at all, I think. I can still enjoy it as a popcorn flick but I guess I wish we got a bit more nuance to the Native American characters.

It's more nuanced than you might think. Russell Means (Chingachgook) who himself was one of the most prominent Red Power activists of the 20th century, originally wanted to play Magua because he's not just a one-dimensional evil dude. He's charged with making sure his tribe survives, and is forced to pick a side in a conflict that really has nothing to do with him or his people. That monologue he gives to the French dude in the woods adds a lot of depth to the character.

Even Uncas and Alice's unconsummated romance is a trope more commonly reserved for the John Waynes and Henry Fondas of the story.

I don't think you're entirely off base and a 25 year old movie is always going to look culturally regressive in some fashion, but part of Mann's whole drive with the picture was to bring more nuance to a traditionally exploited culture in Hollywood. It's relatively progressive looking at the decades before it, but seeing it now makes it clear how much is left to be desired.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
The revelation wasn't that cigarettes were addictive. It was that companies were working hard to make them more addictive. And it was huge news in 1996 when it turned out they had lied under oath about their understanding of their own product. I think you're underestimating how chill society was about cigarettes before that poo poo went down.

• Locked thread