Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
:siren: PSN Community! :siren:

Chekans 3 16 posted:

Edit: Community is up, search for Goony Stardust and request to be added.

Dead Star!

It's a new moba-ish space game on PC and PS4. You play on a map made of a hexfield in various configurations, each Hex contains procedurally generated space junk field and a base to be captured. The base generates points and if you get enough of the points, your enemies HQ explodes. Either that or you can capture enough Hexes to connect to the enemies HQ square and explode their base yourself.

Gameplay is split between base capturing, ship to ship combat, and space farming green things to upgrade your bases defenses with turrets and mines and whatnot. All the ships control like Geometry wars. Scouts are small and fast, Raiders are balanced and have extra room for space farming, Frigates are slow but have the most offensive options.

The story lore is something about a part of space where criminals and jerks get sent, only the areas star is exploding and everyone wants to leave. I guess they also want to fight over space bases on their way out.

Mixed reviews from goons so far, but it also seems like a game that needs some time to be figured out and/or broken when someone figures out which gun does everything. And of course it's more fun with a team.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Valant/Space Humans

Scout - "Marksman"
+ Machine gun - Your bog standard twin stick shooter gun. The range is surprisingly small. All purpose.
+ Targeting Beacon - A sweeping scanner that locks onto enemies and lowers their armor
+ Missle launcher - Fires a dumbfire missle that can be detonated by hitting fire again. Upgrades make little missles come out after detonation.
+ Quantum shield - Temporary shield that makes you faster and stronger. Mostly for escaping stuff.

Raider - "Bulldog"
+ Blast cannon - A twin stick shotgun.
+ Sniper cannon - Like a FPS railgun, charges for a second and then fires a single fast round that hurts and slows another ship
+ Time bomb - Drops a bomb with a ten second timer that deals damage over a huge area. Can't be shot but can be EMP'd and disabled.
+ Suppression probe - Drops an AOE thingy that disables enemy weapons and devices. People can shoot the probe to end this early.

Frigate - "Vindicator"
+ Heavy Machine Gun - Bog standard twin stick shooter gun, XL edition.
+ Beam cannon - Shoots a giant laser, but stops your movement while it's in use
+ Missle turret - Looses your average twin stick missle barrage, homes in on enemies
+ Quantum shield - Temporary shield that makes you faster and stronger.

Ithid/Space vaginas

Scout - "Razor"
+ Blade Launcher - Shoots a homing missle
+ Shift slicer - A short "hyperjump" that blinks the ship from one spot to another. Hurts anything it goes through.
+ Energy Saw - Turns your ship into the center of a AOE damage effect
+ Spy Probe - Drops an AOE probe that cloaks friendlies, decloaks baddies, and ups the sensor range of anyone inside.

Raider - "Stalker"
+ Quill blaster - Regular ol shooty bit. Lore says it has "acidic membranes" but not sure if that means anything.
+ Seed Cannon - Chargable shot that shoots out an acidic goo when it hits something
+ EMP field - A field that disables enemy weapons and systems and also slows them. Disables you too for a bit.
+ Cloaking membrane - A toggle-able cloak. Didn't seem to have a time limit when I tried it.

Frigate - "Leviathan"
+ Swarm launcher - Launches a swarm. They home in on other ships and deal acidic damage.
+ Rail cannon - Fires one powerful shot that goes through targets.
+ Shift Maneuver - Teleport to a new location, leaves behind a field that slows enemies.
+ Cloaking membrane - A cloaking field that can cover nearby friendlies

Ithari/Space Robots

Scout - "Herald"
+ Shock cannon - Shoots lightning that hurts
+ Repair field - Heals friendlies, also heals you a bit
+ EMP Spark - Aimable weapon that causes EMP effects (defense down, weapons disabled, slowed)
:siren: PSN Community! :siren:

Chekans 3 16 posted:

+ Absorbtion field - Temporary invulnerability shield

Raider - "Warden"
+ Shock launcher - A chargeable shot that shoots a good sized circle out that hurts people. Includes a shield while charging after some upgrades.
+ Plasma Trail - Leaves a TRON-like wall of goo behind your ship that hurts and slows baddies. Also boosts your speed a bit while it's being laid down
+ Sabotage pulse - A directed weapon that causes EMP effects
+ Defense probe - Drops an AOE probe that blocks attacks, and boosts attack of anyone inside

Frigate - "Justicar"
+ Lightning cannon - A sweeper type of weapon that electrocutes ships for damage
+ Chain lightning - Lightning that leaps from baddie to baddie
+ Repair field - Repairs all friendlies in a nearby radius, and gives them overshield status if they're already 100%
+ Barrier shields - Creates 3 shields around the Justicar

Various tips/tricks:

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 8, 2016

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Pretty early but I was hoping to get some other people's strategies and impressions on what ships/upgrades are best and how to use them.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Intel and Sebastian's "The Boy With the Arab Contacts."

Carry on with your thread.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I will repost what I put in the PS4 thread

I wanted to like it because I really like the first ship you get in the tutorial that has a machine gun & a rocket and thats it, but i found its basically impossible to beat any 2nd tier or 3rd tier ship with a first tier ship so I cant even out skill people with my tiny ship. Like I can dump rockets into them all I want but their shields barely go down & generally if you get close to a big ship their brutal armaments just destroy your shields & hull.

This would not be as big an issue if it wasn't possible to just... always pick a 2nd or 3rd tier ship Like wtf you can roll with 3 tier-3 ships in your loadout if you want. Coming back is so hard in this game because the enemy team can just pick the stupid tech team's tier 3 that has the triangle laser, heal circle, and lightning poker & turtle the outpost you're attacking. It basically all comes down to whoever gets their big dumb tier 3s to the middle zones first. After that the tier 3's lumber around while the small ships scoot and upgrade the base & skirmish with the other small ships.

I actually like the small ship combat too, the 3 tier 1s fighting is fun! Its cool baiting other tiny ships to follow me so I can easily line up missiles on them. Or when you're in a circle dog fight and you're both shooting off missiles to try and predict where the guys gonna go. Seems like all the ships should have been small.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Yeah from what I can tell the small ships aren't for direct combat. All of them have a secondary ability that works more as support and their inherent ability is quicker base capture. Which makes me think when you're in a scout you're supposed to be attacking NPC bases and flitting in and out of battles providing annoying help.

I spent most of my time yesterday starting in a scout, helping establishing bases, and then switching to a raider and playing space babysitter for whichever base looked the most important.

Edit: But a great big gently caress yes to the Human Scout missles being fun as gently caress in dogfights. Predicting where someones going to be and detonating as close as you can to them is lots of fun.

Edit2: I think there are tools to deal with Frigates amassing and causing poo poo that just haven't come together yet. I have a feeling the human Raiders bomb move is going to be trendy very soon.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 6, 2016

PyrE
Feb 2, 2005

Soldier? Check.
Flight? True.
Commie? NO!
Rich? Quite.
I'm looking for people to play this with later tonight. PSN : irlcyberbully

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I think a psn group would work well for this, but I'm not anywhere I can make one right now.

I'm usually around after 8 weeknights, psn necrokart

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
A few impressions after another night:

I like 5 v 5 more than 10 so far. It takes a lot of coordination to take a base away from another team in 10, whereas battlefronts seem to organically happen in 5. On the other hand 10 is a grand time for space farmers because there's generally a hex or two no one cares about that you can spruce up real nice and get some xp's.

Human scout - Upgrade your scanner ability before guns, and maybe before missles if poo poo is going down fast. People who get "locked on" die very fast, especially in big scrambles. Besides this, get good with your missles. I have a feeling these are the real main weapon for the human scout. Learning to lead people and time your detonations seems to be the key. One thing I'm not sure about: when you're upgraded enough to have the little missles come out, I don't know if a direct hit or a close-hit and a few small missles hurt more.

Space Vagina raider - I think the main point of this one is combining your stealth and EMP attack for max trouble. I can't make heads or tails of the other weapons.

Human Frigate - Reminds me of playing Titanfall when you have a Titan, as in, there's a lot more "hit and run" mentality than you would think when you're in the big/slow/powerful thing, and it's a lot to do with the power that throws up a shield and ups your speed. People love to blow up frigates in this game so far, but I had a lot of success showing up, barfing offense until people notice (beam weapon if I'm far, guns+missles close), and then shield/sprint to a safer place when baddies start trying to kill me.

Every non-frigate ship - Your main weapon against frigates is range and speed. Every smaller ship seems to have at least one attack that doesn't fizzle out after a certain distance that you can use to harass Frigates. Unless you're that scout with the crazy spinning AOE thing, I haven't played much of that one yet but the strat there seems to be to get as close as you can to baddies all the time.

Edit: Something fun to try for two people: one person uses the space vag titan, one person grabs whatever else they like, both of you commandeer as many AI as you can and the spacevag titan stealths everyone. I haven't been able to try it yet but from what I've seen so far that would be enough to give any base a hard time. Especially if you manage to grab some AI frigates.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 7, 2016

PyrE
Feb 2, 2005

Soldier? Check.
Flight? True.
Commie? NO!
Rich? Quite.
I feel like this game is very, very boring to play solo unless you want to farm ore. Getting just 2 people together to coordinate attacks makes the game so much more enjoyable.

I wish that Razor's energy saw was much stronger. I really want him to be a timbersaw parallel.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The game is pretty fun but have yet to see a comeback. Like once one team has a 50 point lead, that's it regardless of how many of their outposts you take down. They'll just hit the cap and nuke you.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

PyrE posted:

I feel like this game is very, very boring to play solo unless you want to farm ore. Getting just 2 people together to coordinate attacks makes the game so much more enjoyable.

I wish that Razor's energy saw was much stronger. I really want him to be a timbersaw parallel.

I think you can do that through the permanent upgrade/loot system. I can't say for sure but those seem to just make each upgrade a bit more effective rather than being a real true permanent boost.

I haven't seen a real comeback, but I did see a quick start fall apart hard last night because my team wasn't upgrading bases. I think there may be a case for not upgrading your home base the whole way, because I've never seen a team successfully blow one up before the ticket timer ends the game, but keeping the hexes attached to you upgraded is a no brainer.

Maybe they need to have actual combat and k/d affect the tickets more?

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Taking a high level enemy outpost can definitely swing a game from being a hundred down to winning. This game is really fun! Add Cjseedge if you want to play with more people. I was ninth on the leaderboard for wins yesterday because I played it for two days.

Cowbert
Dec 17, 2005

this is so awesome.
This game is extremely fun and more people need to be playing it. :colbert:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
1. Someone make a PSN group plz

2. Let me know if you want anything put in the 2nd post, I want to get some more info from the touchpad help document in there but I haven't had time to sit down with it yet. Anything would help, like...if you know how the loot/upgrade system actually works, etc.

PyrE
Feb 2, 2005

Soldier? Check.
Flight? True.
Commie? NO!
Rich? Quite.
Ok, just put about 5 games in as a Warden, and holy cow does this ship own bones.

1)Plasma Trail
2)Primary
3)Primary
4)Core
5)Primary
6)sab pulse
7)Max Core
8) max out sab pulse for less dmg from enemies or Plasma Trail to go faster

Now you're fast, no one can tail you, when you're not shooting your primary is a shield, your primary kills scouts in 2 hits, and has a huge range.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I use the Raider to farm and the little tron/paint trail move is super fun, I want to put in practice with it and come up with designs to foil specific situations. As is I just poop on people chasing me and leave streaks in the middle of battlefields. I like that the primary attack has wacky range too.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I mostly stick with the frigates because I feel like the team needs at least one big damage dealer. plus I can easily take the close points by myself while the more nimble scouts rush off to take out distant outposts

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I tend to spend a lot of time mining at middle systems when I solo because then I know I'm contributing. Occasionally I'll switch to frigate to push if I feel like I can help. Scouts feel so fragile but I know they're important for calling so I have to figure them out at some point.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
I'll make a group later tonight, PSN Bluedragonzero7

So far I'm really enjoying this, definitely one of the better PS plus games I've downloaded.

Chekans 3 16 fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Apr 8, 2016

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

I love the Warden so much. Tron trails from Plasma Drive murder so many idiots. The fully upgraded Shock Launcher can one-shot most scouts, too. It's the best miner.

PyrE
Feb 2, 2005

Soldier? Check.
Flight? True.
Commie? NO!
Rich? Quite.

Seedge posted:

I love the Warden so much. Tron trails from Plasma Drive murder so many idiots. The fully upgraded Shock Launcher can one-shot most scouts, too. It's the best miner.

Yeah, I've been getting 3:1+ kdr recently now that I have more of a feel for the play style. Having a hard time justifying swapping to other ships when it feels like the best ship in most scenarios.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Sticking the Goon PSN group in the infopost.

No matter what happens to this game my dream is to have 2+ goons in Wardens making TRON mazes all over the place. Perhaps drawing crude phalluses?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

what I've learned today is that the warden is good but I'm not when I use it. get way too invested in trapping people in the trail when I'm not quite able to keep myself alive doing it. also running with no frigates at all probably hurt us a few times, but what can you do

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Anyone interested in getting a party together for a while tonight? PSN kittypoptart, I should be up for a while

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I only played one game as a human scout thing scanning enemies and watching dummies fly into my missiles but it was pretty rad. PSN is DoctorCatHaver, maybe I'll be on to play again eventually.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
What determines how you get upgrade points for your ship? I can't figure that part out. I can't seem to kill anyone so I've mostly been mining and upgrading bases while occasionally hopping in a justicar for the repair aoe.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

The Shep posted:

What determines how you get upgrade points for your ship? I can't figure that part out. I can't seem to kill anyone so I've mostly been mining and upgrading bases while occasionally hopping in a justicar for the repair aoe.

Gaining levels. You get experience by dropping ore off, killing enemy players, killing enemy NPC's, and taking over bases. You can get up to level 10 in a match, giving you 9 upgrade points which you'll notice means you can't max everything out. Mining with a miner-type ship (tier 2) is probably the most efficient way to level that I've seen but maybe hunting NPC's and capping points could work well too.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
In match upgrades are just experience, which you get for delivering ore, capturing bases, and blowing poo poo up.

Augments are minor buffs to your ships using end of match component rewards.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
If you're not confident in your ability as a fighter,be the mining/middle class and just bolster the outposts your team has already captured. The ships the outposts generate after certain levels can be taken into battle, and each level increases the rate at with the game winning cannon fills up. Bloodychill twigged me onto it and once I focused on mining and upgrading instead of flying into the fray and getting blown up we won fairly consistently. Of course, someone needs to be pressing the enemy, but if no one's upgrading the bases you're going to lose to the team who is.

PyrE
Feb 2, 2005

Soldier? Check.
Flight? True.
Commie? NO!
Rich? Quite.

Warden Supremacy

edit : for content

What helped me when using different ships was to focus on using the primary and one additional skill, then adding in the others after I got more comfortable. Putting points into the core is very important, making yourself as tanky and quick as possible are very high priorities.

When I first started with the Warden, worrying about how to lead people with my shots and hitting them with sab pulse lead to my KD taking a big ol dump because I was focused on using too many abilities on enemies moving too fast for my ape brain. Mixing pulse in slowly while I focused on the movement and shooting instead of "ok, I need to use sab pulse every time" has led to a lot more success. Some matches I don't even tech into it if people are going to just sit and eat my shots.

In some matches defense probe and sab pulse do make all the difference in the world though, so you have to play it by ear.

All that being said, I've really tried to get good with the herald, but it just feels so so hard to pilot successfully compared to the easy mode that is the warden. The delay on the shot really is going to create a high skill ceiling with that ship, and dancing just on the outer edges of your range makes all the difference. I find that using your speed to pick off people retreating from team fights is where this ship really shines, you are just so squishy that trying to wade into a team fight is instadeath.

I also find that this game doesn't create the anxiety in me that Dota did. I can sit down and play it without being so tense because my 1 mistake would make my team hate me. Maybe that's because it's new and doesn't already have a toxic community built up around it. I am going to go through later and add everyone who posted their PSN and members of the Stardust group so I can try playing this with real communication!

PyrE fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 9, 2016

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

PyrE posted:

I also find that this game doesn't create the anxiety in me that Dota did. I can sit down and play it without being so tense because my 1 mistake would make my team hate me. Maybe that's because it's new and doesn't already have a toxic community built up around it. I am going to go through later and add everyone who posted their PSN and members of the Stardust group so I can try playing this with real communication!

I think a big part of it is that the games are pretty short. I made a mistake right at the end of a close game that probably cost us the game and I could tell people were frustrated but since each game is 15 minutes, it's easy to go "whatever, let's just do another."

Also yes, the Warden is ridiculous.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I would pay 20 dollars for dlc that turns the wardens streak move brown

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Defense probe is too fun to not grab for me. You turn yourself into an instant major annoyance shooting your main out of it, and when someone comes in to shoot it you can poo on them.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Are the acid spitting porcupine ships any good? I've barely played so I don't know what determines god tier from garbage tier or what upgrades matter but if I can win by making a space monster fart my enemies to death that would be the best.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
I had some success with the bull dog and its time bomb. Since you are immune to your own explosion you don't have to worry about fleeing so you can push the bomb around after other ships and into bases, it even acts as a make shift shield. The suppression probe seems to work well when you are trying to capture a base as its less obvious where its located then in open space. I've found the marksmen fun to use too.

PSN: Is Jewedbacca. I'm going to try to add some names tonight.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Are the acid spitting porcupine ships any good? I've barely played so I don't know what determines god tier from garbage tier or what upgrades matter but if I can win by making a space monster fart my enemies to death that would be the best.

Yeah, they have my favorite scout ship with its warp and buzzsaw and the bigger ships have cloaking which can be useful. I think all the ships are pretty well balanced so just try them out and see what you like.

Also Intel I got your request to be added but it wasn't actually available to be accepted, might want to send it again.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea, the razor's the best for taking on frigates in the scout class, the minner I forget the name of can cloak and disable people to be a nuisance, and the leviathan has a cloaking field that lets you get a group of frigates into enemy territory with them none the wiser. every ship has a viable niche

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
I like pouring all my upgrades into the vindicator missile barrage and armor and just flying it like a destroyer. Is that a bad idea? I don't do very well but I see lots of vindicators flying around so it must be a decent ship when kitted properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Black Brony
Jul 11, 2008

Congratulations on Graduation Shnookums.
Love, Mom & Dad
Leviathan is hard core. Rail Canon owns bones, and when you max it decimated small ships if you can land a shot. The cloak is cool for stalking enemies or sneaking around behind enemies, and the teleport is cool to escape or close in for a kill. My only big complaint is the frigate with the lightning. It seems to just suck your health down and you can't kill it fast enough.

• Locked thread