Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I mostly stick with the frigates because I feel like the team needs at least one big damage dealer. plus I can easily take the close points by myself while the more nimble scouts rush off to take out distant outposts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

what I've learned today is that the warden is good but I'm not when I use it. get way too invested in trapping people in the trail when I'm not quite able to keep myself alive doing it. also running with no frigates at all probably hurt us a few times, but what can you do

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea, the razor's the best for taking on frigates in the scout class, the minner I forget the name of can cloak and disable people to be a nuisance, and the leviathan has a cloaking field that lets you get a group of frigates into enemy territory with them none the wiser. every ship has a viable niche

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The Shep posted:

I like pouring all my upgrades into the vindicator missile barrage and armor and just flying it like a destroyer. Is that a bad idea? I don't do very well but I see lots of vindicators flying around so it must be a decent ship when kitted properly.

the missiles are good for shotgunning close range enemies and zoning out scouts, since the vindicator doesn't have a good answer to mobile ships that can outrange it, but you shouldn't be relying on it as your primary weapon. the beam cannon can do more damage than anything else you have access to, but it's a little unweildy and can be hard to aim with. my go-to choice is the bog standard heavy machinegun that you start with. it is deceptively powerful; a maxed out hmg can eat through other frigates and bases very fast. it's also easier to aim than the beam and has a faster cool down than either of the others

spacejew posted:

Leviathan is hard core. Rail Canon owns bones, and when you max it decimated small ships if you can land a shot. The cloak is cool for stalking enemies or sneaking around behind enemies, and the teleport is cool to escape or close in for a kill. My only big complaint is the frigate with the lightning. It seems to just suck your health down and you can't kill it fast enough.

the justicar can do a ton of damage, but it doesn't have any range so you just play keep away. ships like the razor have no answer to it, but stuff like the vindicator or the warden can shred them if you know what you're doing. and, of course, another justicar can take them down fast if properly upgraded. the leviathon isn't a great option for fighting other frigates in general tho, so you should try to keep your distance if you can. I think upgrading your core is pretty important on the leviation just so you can get away. the warp isn't enough to outrun a justicar with a better core; I've run down enough of them to be sure of that

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

turns out I was wrong and a clever leviathan can totally win a war of attrition with a justicar. the primary fire homes in and deals damage over time, so if you can keep away you can just out range the justicar and eventually whittle them down. I was made a fool of a few times by some guy using a leviathon tonight doing just that. the smart thing to do would have been to just leave it alone, but oh well. also learned that the warp can carry you through walls, which is super handy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

pros of capital ship run: was fun, easy, it's cool to be a 3rd party in the middle of an ongoing game because the teams attack each other as much as they do you and you can mop up easy kills. cons: bluedragon is the only one that got the trophy for it because he owned the contract

• Locked thread