Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PyrE
Feb 2, 2005

Soldier? Check.
Flight? True.
Commie? NO!
Rich? Quite.
I'm looking for people to play this with later tonight. PSN : irlcyberbully

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PyrE
Feb 2, 2005

Soldier? Check.
Flight? True.
Commie? NO!
Rich? Quite.
I feel like this game is very, very boring to play solo unless you want to farm ore. Getting just 2 people together to coordinate attacks makes the game so much more enjoyable.

I wish that Razor's energy saw was much stronger. I really want him to be a timbersaw parallel.

PyrE
Feb 2, 2005

Soldier? Check.
Flight? True.
Commie? NO!
Rich? Quite.
Ok, just put about 5 games in as a Warden, and holy cow does this ship own bones.

1)Plasma Trail
2)Primary
3)Primary
4)Core
5)Primary
6)sab pulse
7)Max Core
8) max out sab pulse for less dmg from enemies or Plasma Trail to go faster

Now you're fast, no one can tail you, when you're not shooting your primary is a shield, your primary kills scouts in 2 hits, and has a huge range.

PyrE
Feb 2, 2005

Soldier? Check.
Flight? True.
Commie? NO!
Rich? Quite.

Seedge posted:

I love the Warden so much. Tron trails from Plasma Drive murder so many idiots. The fully upgraded Shock Launcher can one-shot most scouts, too. It's the best miner.

Yeah, I've been getting 3:1+ kdr recently now that I have more of a feel for the play style. Having a hard time justifying swapping to other ships when it feels like the best ship in most scenarios.

PyrE
Feb 2, 2005

Soldier? Check.
Flight? True.
Commie? NO!
Rich? Quite.

Warden Supremacy

edit : for content

What helped me when using different ships was to focus on using the primary and one additional skill, then adding in the others after I got more comfortable. Putting points into the core is very important, making yourself as tanky and quick as possible are very high priorities.

When I first started with the Warden, worrying about how to lead people with my shots and hitting them with sab pulse lead to my KD taking a big ol dump because I was focused on using too many abilities on enemies moving too fast for my ape brain. Mixing pulse in slowly while I focused on the movement and shooting instead of "ok, I need to use sab pulse every time" has led to a lot more success. Some matches I don't even tech into it if people are going to just sit and eat my shots.

In some matches defense probe and sab pulse do make all the difference in the world though, so you have to play it by ear.

All that being said, I've really tried to get good with the herald, but it just feels so so hard to pilot successfully compared to the easy mode that is the warden. The delay on the shot really is going to create a high skill ceiling with that ship, and dancing just on the outer edges of your range makes all the difference. I find that using your speed to pick off people retreating from team fights is where this ship really shines, you are just so squishy that trying to wade into a team fight is instadeath.

I also find that this game doesn't create the anxiety in me that Dota did. I can sit down and play it without being so tense because my 1 mistake would make my team hate me. Maybe that's because it's new and doesn't already have a toxic community built up around it. I am going to go through later and add everyone who posted their PSN and members of the Stardust group so I can try playing this with real communication!

PyrE fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 9, 2016

PyrE
Feb 2, 2005

Soldier? Check.
Flight? True.
Commie? NO!
Rich? Quite.
How are you guys building out your Razors and Justicars? I am still having a hard time finding a ship that I am even half as competent with as the warden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PyrE
Feb 2, 2005

Soldier? Check.
Flight? True.
Commie? NO!
Rich? Quite.

Leyburn posted:

You lot weren't kidding about the Warden. If you concentrate on fast tracking it to level 5 at the start of the game through capturing & upgrading bases and killing the guardian ships then you'll be ahead of the curve and can comfortably stomp the enemy, who will mostly be below you level wise. It helps that no one seems to realise that the tron trails are incredibly dangerous.

My match start begins like this : Launch out the opposite side of your base towards the abyss, not the enemy,(Using left stick you can select where you leave the base) there are 2 large and 2 small mine-able asteroids out that way along with a whole slew of neutral ships to shoot and gain xp from. After my first level I drop another point into the primary weapon to blow up the asteroids faster when I return for a second round. By the time you leave your home base, it should be level 2, and you should be at or near level 3, At 3 take snail trail, and catch up to your team capping a second or third zone which you dump all your ore into. I generally mine one more full cargo hold into this base, bringing it up to 2, and me to 4 or close to 5. Once I hit level 4 or 5, I am now a miserable dickhead who will launch giant orbs of death at you and zoom the gently caress out once my shields are down.

I've found that the human raider ship with a guy who can aim the sniper shot, is a hard kill. Once he cripples you, his shotgun and sniper are fast enough to wombo combo you down very quickly while you're trying to scoop up the intestines he just shot out of you.

As I&S said, once you get a feel for how the other ships momentum effects them, you can start to get really good at predicting where they will be before they even decide which way to turn, and sometimes can even force them to turn if you're Tokyo drifting your tail in such a way as to corner them.

Another reason I feel that the Warden is looked over so much so far is that it does suck to try and take a base with. If you're holding full charge shots, the shields of most emplacements are already recharging by the time you drop a second shot on them. Focus more on hitting it quickly than lobbing the big bomb on it.

Once you get used to how to lob your shots, it is really easy to zone out 2-3 ships at a time. Remember that mobility is survivability and you have one of the few weapons capable of zoning through obstacles. I can not tell you how many times I've played ring around the rosey with frigates eating my trail and orb of death while I giggle like a loving idiot.

Oh, and I believe that your trail can also detonate incoming missiles too, so don't be afraid to use that as necessary.

• Locked thread