Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Davincie posted:

ah, yuri ecchi

I don't remember Strawberry Panic being very ecchi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
that's fine, as long as it's one or the other

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Endorph posted:

Fighting Beauty Wulong: Rebirth
TMS Entertainment | Yoshoi, Suzuki |Action, Comedy, Martial Arts, School | Apr 2, 2006
Mao Lan continues growing into her path in life through what she learns while fighting. Her grandfather thinks that she has grown complacent and decides to train an adversary for her next Prime Mat appearance. Training with her friends and companions Mao Lan slowly advances through life. (Season 2 of Fighting Beauty Wulong)

:siren:TERPER's PICK:siren:
Himawari!
ARMS | Kageyama, Shigemori | Adventure, Comedy, Martial Arts | Apr 5, 2006
Himawari Hinata recently transfered to Shinobi Gakuen to train to become the best kunoichi she can be. She wanted to be a ninja ever since she was saved by one when she was little. On her first day, she meets Hayato Madenokoji (a new transfer teacher) who saves her life. Hayato does not possess any ninja skills or traits, he is teaching the ninjas about normal society to pay off his debt. However, Himawari notices that Hayato bares the same mark on his neck as the ninja who saved her when she was young.

Yoshimune
Ginga Ya | Hasegawa, Nahoko | Comedy, Historical | Apr 7, 2006
It is the end of the Edo Era, a flourishing period when stylish civilians, samurai and old-fashioned farmers live peacefully together. However, if you take a closer look at their lives, you'll notice that it is actually a parallel world in which modern conveniences, such as cellular phones, personal computers, microwave ovens, motorcycles, subways, and so on, exist. If you enter a night club, you'll find young people dancing to blaring trance music. However, you will also find that they wear kimonos, that the darkness is illuminated by candles, and that the stage is covered by tatami mats! While the people reflect the fashions and manners of the Edo Era, they reside within a strange world where the "present" and the "past" coexist. Welcome to the Yoshimune world that no one has ever seen!

Yume Tsukai
Madhouse | Yamazaki, Kazuo | Drama, Fantasy, Slice of Life | Apr 9, 2006
When people dream, they express their utmost desires and emotions within the confines of their mind; but when their strong emotions cross the border into reality, the dream can turn into an uncontrollable nightmare. Touko and Rinko are sisters known as "yume tsukai" (dream users), and their job is to take care of these nightmares. Using toys as weapons, the girls must both destroy the nightmare and return the dream to its rightful owner before the nightmare does any sort of serious damage. Have no fear, Touko and Rinko are here!

I'm going to watch these animes

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

FLAG, though not groundbreaking, is very good. Very Takahashi as expected, and I dig the mockumentary format it uses - every single shot comes from a diegetic source, whether it is Saeko's camera, still shots from other journos, live feed from the HAWVCs themselves and so on.

The "fight" against the insurgent outpost in the second episode still takes the cake for horrifying mecha scenes, even though no blood and gore is shown. Or perhaps, because of it.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Traveller posted:

FLAG, though not groundbreaking, is very good. Very Takahashi as expected, and I dig the mockumentary format it uses - every single shot comes from a diegetic source, whether it is Saeko's camera, still shots from other journos, live feed from the HAWVCs themselves and so on.

The "fight" against the insurgent outpost in the second episode still takes the cake for horrifying mecha scenes, even though no blood and gore is shown. Or perhaps, because of it.

:same:

It's one of those robot shows where I wonder if it wouldn't have worked out better without the robots though.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I love moe!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Boy here's hoping Gundo Musashi is as great as Lupin by the same studio.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

same

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Yeah I remember the original season thread too

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Nana is the best story that will never be told. :(

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Here's where I confess I don't really remember much of anything about Himawari!. I watched anime/read manga for a while, stopped, and then started watching/reading manga again several years later, and I think this one slots into one of those very earliest I watched. I was okay with it cus hey anime it's new and cool

It'll be interesting to go back and rewatch it at least

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

DrSunshine posted:

Watch Oban Star Racers, you guys. It's a little-known series created by a French studio (actually, the director, Savin Yeatman-Eiffel, is a great-grandson of the man who designed the Eiffel Tower!) partnering with a Japanese studio. With shows like Avatar The Last Airbender and Teen Titans sort of dominating the Western anime-influenced trend in the 'noughts, OSR got sort of lost, but it's extremely well-written and the races are exciting and interesting. The art style is also very unique and appealing. If you like Wakfu, do give Oban Star Racers a try!

This. While I kinda have problems with the pacing/ points system in the second half, I really do like the show as a whole (Hell, I have a Molly Figurine). A Big part of why I love it is because it essentially is Savin's lifework/ dream. Like how you made up a show as a kid, but never had the balls to go through with it? He did. He retooled it multiple times, he wrote the scripts individually for multiple different languages, got freaking Yoko Kanno to help with the music, etc. It is a work of love, and that's why it will always hold a special place in my heart :unsmith:

OP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ONusi1AgPg
ED: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb4VtMEUul8 <-----This song :cry:

Alternatively, the English OP :v: : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ9YTr8gBPI

But getting past personal bias, lot's of good/ important shows like NANA, Haruhi, Gintama, Ouran, Higurashi. Still, Oban Star Racers is my personal pick.

I'm also currently in the process of watching Zegapain, so we'll go with that one for breaking new boundaries. :v:

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i'm sad gun doh mushashi was never all available, even when it came out

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I didn't realize Black Lagoon was airing at the same time as Haruhi, for some reason I was under the impression it was older than that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

StandardVC10 posted:

I didn't realize Black Lagoon was airing at the same time as Haruhi, for some reason I was under the impression it was older than that.
It does feel a little older than that, yeah? It feels a bit 90s.

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

The only exposure I had to Musashi were the hilarious weekly thread updates of its trainwreck animation.

And stuff like this

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
If you are one of the rare few who hasn't yet watched Ouran High School Host Club, please consider watching Ouran High School Host Club.

It's very funny and sweet and occasionally emotional and has the best Haruhi.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Bad Seafood posted:

If you are one of the rare few who hasn't yet watched Ouran High School Host Club, please consider watching Ouran High School Host Club.

It's very funny and sweet and occasionally emotional and has the best Haruhi.

Honestly I've barely seen anything from this range.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Kirarin Revolution, is good.

JoJoJosephSmith
Apr 8, 2016

whoa

I was a normie in 2006 so I basically only watched Haruhi that season.

I barely watched anime and that was the last one i would see until like 2009.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

irokia posted:

whoa

I was a normie in 2006 so I basically only watched Haruhi that season.

I barely watched anime and that was the last one i would see until like 2009.
watch almost all of these anime

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i might watch gun-dou musashi for a laugh

some day

Rotoru
Sep 3, 2011

More shows need to do openings like ARiA. Also more shows need to do music like ARiA. Basically more shows need to do stuff like ARiA is what I'm saying.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

:rock: I don't care if the Yoko Kanno one is more true to that crazy Frenchman's vision, this one will always have a place in my heart because it gets me pumped and I feel it's a bit more appropriate to the exciting action-packed visuals in the OP.

I was always sort of disappointed that we never got to see the badass faceoff scene with the energy blade wielding robot exactly the way it was in the OP, though. I watched the whole show waiting for that one!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Colonel posted:

i might watch gun-dou musashi for a laugh

some day

Only a few episodes ever made it into the wild and it only ever had a joke sub. It's amusing for one episode just to see the insane level of incompetence that went in to it but any more than that and it just starts to feel sad.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think I'm going to watch best hot anime mum show Witchblade

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
witchblade was surprisingly good

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Endorph posted:

Kirarin Revolution!
SynergySP | Okuwaki, Masaharu | Comedy, Drama, Romance | Apr 7, 2006
Kirari Tsukishima, a gluttonous 14-year-old beauty, is a girl who does not care about idols and the entertainment world because her mind is occupied by food. Her obsession with food only causes her to be clueless about love. One day, after saving a turtle that is stranded in a tree, Kirari meets with a handsome and gentle boy named Seiji, who gives her ticket to a SHIPS (a popular idol group) concert to show his gratitude for her saving his pet. Kirari then storms off to the concert and runs into another boy, who tears up her ticket and warns her to stay away from Seiji because she and Seiji live in different worlds. The outraged Kirari then sneaks into the concert, only to discover that Seiji and the boy who tore her ticket, named Hiroto, are actually members of SHIPS. Finally understanding the meaning of "different worlds" (Seiji is a popular idol while she is an average middle school student), Kirari refuses to give up. Filled with determination to be with Seiji, she declares that she will also become an idol.

HOLY poo poo

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

oh gently caress, this is the show the balalaika/yaranaika meme came from!

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJV2xeQhVYQ

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Anyways I'm going to express my love for Gintama in this thread. I know it's super popular but I don't feel like enough goons here have watched it. It is probably one of the greatest long running shounen and the latest season was some drat fine anime. Please check it out if you haven't.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

this is it, this is how i die, the moment i finish all 153 episodes is the day i end myself

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the most powerful anime

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
my fujo friend in middle school rec'd me gakuen heaven and now I'm interested in watching it, because back in '06 I read the wrong gakuen heaven.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Space Flower posted:

my fujo friend in middle school rec'd me gakuen heaven and now I'm interested in watching it, because back in '06 I read the wrong gakuen heaven.

I would make a joke about not doxxing me, but I got too bored to finish watching that in middle school.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

If it's the anime based on a literal boys love VN, I watched that Gakuen Heaven.

JoJoJosephSmith
Apr 8, 2016

prolly gonna watch .hack roots just because i really liked .hack sign as a kid (even had one of the lame ps2 games)

i hope im not making a mistake

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

good news everyone, Joshikousei: Girls' High is ending this volume

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

irokia posted:

prolly gonna watch .hack roots just because i really liked .hack sign as a kid (even had one of the lame ps2 games)

Alas, ROOTS is very, very boring. I say this as someone who loved SIGN, just so you know the extreme depths of blandness to which ROOTS sinks. Nothing actively horrible about it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

irokia posted:

I watched ROOTS at 5:30 AM on Saturday Morning when I was a teen. I'm still sad that they never dubbed the last handful of episodes. I feel that Signs is better overall, but this gives a lot of important details to the G.U. games that you don't really get otherwise, so it works great as a prequel. I liked it decently enough, though. Also, Silly Go Round is an awesome OP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQFCaw-eAQg
(The actual music Video by FictionJunction Yuuka got pulled off youtube by Victor Entertainment. gently caress Youtube Red :v: )

But here it is on Dailymotion: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6jvrb_fictionjunction-yuuka-silly-go-roun_music

• Locked thread