Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

These have been on my to-watch list for years. Not having seen Aria seems especially egregious.

These seem like they could be cool, I might check them out.

I think I might have read some of the manga adaptation of this, but I remember next to nothing about it. Maybe I'll check it out, see if it jogs my memory.

I watched these back in the day. I loved Higurashi at the time; I think it was perhaps the first horror anime I watched. Ouran is really good, and I bond with my teenaged cousin over our shared affection for it. I was really into School Rumble for a time, but I don't think I ever finished the second season, and the manga's end was lackluster. I like its second OP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc4EP_Da-kg

but its ED was boring and lame compared to the first season's, and hasn't stuck in my mind at all. I quite like Simoun, and Kylra has done a good job expressing what's cool about it. I love the more mundane parts of the epilogue, where the war's over and now everyone has to live their lives. Its opening segment, from the POV of an enemy fighter pilot, was also really cool. It had a good OP too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLFfc_bh3Ak

Strawberry Panic is trash, but I was entertained by it at the time. It tried to be marimite but with kissing (which is a thing I really wanted), but it didn't do a very good job of it. Haruhi deserves its reputation, and I've rewatched it several times, most recently with the simulwatch.

This was a powerful season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

These have been on my to-watch list for years. Not having seen Aria seems especially egregious.
The order for Aria is The Animation -> The OVA ~Arietta -> The Natural -> The Origination -> The Avvenire.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Jesus I forgot just how crazy of an Anime year 2006 was.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Bad Seafood posted:

If you are one of the rare few who hasn't yet watched Ouran High School Host Club, please consider watching Ouran High School Host Club.

It's very funny and sweet and occasionally emotional and has the best Haruhi.
Can confirm.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Holy cow is this a throwback. Spring '06 was a good season.

Bad Seafood posted:

If you are one of the rare few who hasn't yet watched Ouran High School Host Club, please consider watching Ouran High School Host Club.

It's very funny and sweet and occasionally emotional.

Seafood was nicer than I would have been on this recommendation (in the sense I am offended you haven't seen it). Seriously though, watch it.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

2006 was a good year for haruhis

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Simoun is such a good show and criminally underrated. It's a stronger fantasy drama about social standing and class than most. It has beautiful music. Simoun has a super cool diverse cast of characters who are mostly explored well. It's a thought provoking coming-of-age story that respectfully examines gender. It's a solid story about a world torn apart by endless war. It's just so drat good.

I'd say the only noticeable flaw, besides the inconsistent animation quality (though the character designs are wonderful), is how slow the series starts. But it's incredible once it gets going.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Simoun is one of the shows that, for whatever reason, I watched all the way to the end but then never bothered watching the last episode and I don't even know why.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

it really sucked when the first anime bubble popped, there were a ton of great shows here that never got sequels. Thankfully this was before the industry decided that split cours were a good idea, so none of them were really "unfinished" when the crash hit.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Sakurazuka posted:

Simoun is one of the shows that, for whatever reason, I watched all the way to the end but then never bothered watching the last episode and I don't even know why.

This occasionally happens to me w/ currently airing stuff and I assume it means I didn't actually care much about the show and was just keeping up weekly. Once the last ep airs I don't "have a week" left before the next one so with no deadline I just never get to it. last time it happened was chu2.2

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Killer Queen posted:

Simoun is such a good show and criminally underrated. It's a stronger fantasy drama about social standing and class than most.

Hmm, really! That's interesting, and it's a thought that has crossed my mind more than once -- I was discussing some of the recent spate of more right-wing anime and manga properties in the past five or six years or so. HoTD, Gate, Kancolle, and so on. It feels rare to see something that frankly looks at issues like class, inequality, poverty, and other left-wing issues. We were pondering which anime directors we knew of that had clearly left-wing tendencies and all we could come up with were Tomino and Miyazaki. I'd be interested in watching a show that has at least something to do with issues like social standing and class!

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

That JFK cameo in Bakuon was really something

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Oh, I didn't even notice this thread until now. 2006 was the year I first really started watching anime. My friends introduced me to Naruto the show sometime around early 2004, and I branched out into a few popular shows over the course of that year like Bleach and (for some reason I can't remember) Wolf's Rain. But at the time I didn't know of any decent communities for anime and was clueless on finding shows, had no money to buy stuff, and my net was poo poo so even if I wanted to pirate shows I couldn't. So I kinda lost interest for all of 2005 and forgot anime was a thing. But then early 2006 I found ADTRW, downloaded and watched Shana which was almost done at the time, and then watched Haruhi, Ouran and Black Lagoon when they aired, which was how I really got started with this whole hobby since they are all real good. Well, were at the time anyway, but they probably still are.

Later near the winter, I watched Simoun. As I recall the subbing effort was really slow as no big/timely sub-groups were doing it after the first handful of episodes, and I waited until the subs were all done before starting. It's been almost 10 years since I watched it now and I was still an impressionable teen at the time so I can't really vouch for the quality of this opinion but Simoun is my favorite anime. I don't rewatch anything in general, and I dunno if I ever will rewatch Simoun because the 2006-era visuals alone would probably mar my memory and experience at that time. But maybe some day I will just because the fansubbed episodes I watched at the time were pretty poor quality as well, and while wonky in motion the show sure did have some beautiful stills. Gonna be a tough decision.

Even if the I think the first episode is actually really bad between the fanservicey kissing that barely shows up after episode 4 or something, throwing term after term at the viewer without explaining much descending into technobabble, mopey protagonist and (throughout the show) pretty bad animation. 2006 was not yet a good time for CG in anime. But all that turns around by episode 4 pretty much. I mean it still has some flaws like one kinda creepy subplot and extreme fanservice commercial break stills. Not that I mind fanservice much but it really clashes with the tone of the show and how focused on serious character-arcs it is. But eh, no show is perfect. It's my favorite depiction of war even with all its fantastical elements in anime for sure, I loved the characters and their arcs, I loved the ending. A lot about it. I wasn't particularly conscious of/interested in the gender and sexuality themes and elements at the time, but from what I remember it was also done really well, with some interesting depictions and ways of handling it.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 14, 2016

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I can't believe some of this is a decade old.

Ouran High School Host Club was great. Fun dub, best Haruhi and my only anime crush. Shut up, it was a long time ago.
I thought Magical Pokaan was 90's stuff, it feels so dated compared to everything else on that list. More akin to Di Gi Charat than Haruhi Suzumiya.

Is there a better way to watch Gintama? The youtube videos I've seen are funny but I'm sure not all 300 episodes are winners.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

HellCopter posted:

Ouran High School Host Club was great. Fun dub, best Haruhi and my only anime crush. Shut up, it was a long time ago.
I thought Magical Pokaan was 90's stuff, it feels so dated compared to everything else on that list. More akin to Di Gi Charat than Haruhi Suzumiya.

Is there a better way to watch Gintama? The youtube videos I've seen are funny but I'm sure not all 300 episodes are winners.

Hey, it's my list! https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1naz01KmJnbVdISIF7ZkasgVGMIhwKmZ0EehmLqQ954M/

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

:aaaaa:

Thanks a bunch.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Watch all of Gintama

Twice

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

HellCopter posted:

Gintama starts off kinda slow and then after a while even the clip show episodes are funnier than they have any right to be. It's one of the few long running shows where I would tell you to just watch everything, at worst skip the episodes you don't like as they come.

Well, actually skip straight to episode 3, the one first two episodes are hot garbage that somehow do a worse job introducing the show/characters than the actual rest of the show.

madmac fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 15, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the first dragon quest parody is amazing and everyone should watch it

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

HellCopter posted:

All 300 are winners. You can skip the first two though since you're not ready for it yet, and the staff is still finding their footing balancing the humor.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
There's small bits of continuity scattered across the whole series that'll you appreciate more if you've watched them all in a row. The list I keep is more a guide for getting your feet wet, and to point out the more memorable connections.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

there was a google doc list of all the worthwhile episodes separated between long form arcs and standalone episodes where the joke basically boiled down that almost all of the episodes were worthwhile

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Please note in your list that episode 153 is my favourite standalone episode and the scandal arc is my favourite arc

TYIA

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

littleorv posted:

Please note in your list that episode 153 is my favourite standalone episode and the scandal arc is my favourite arc

TYIA

Done.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I can't believe I am being trolled...

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

littleorv posted:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

littleorv posted:

i can

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Kylra posted:

Can confirm.

Rewatching Ouran at the moment; I remember being way more into it when it came out. It seems sorta... stale now for some reason. Couldn't tell you why exactly.

It's also one of those weird outliers where they dub the op for the english adaptation.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 16, 2016

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

DamnGlitch posted:

Rewatching Ouran at the moment; I remember being way more into it when it came out. It seems sorta... stale now for some reason. Couldn't tell you why exactly.

How highly would you normally rate recommendations from teenagers? Coming of age and first love stories just resonate more at the age those things happen. There's some shows and films that I thought were overrated and boring as a teenager that I've come to appreciate ten or fifteen years on.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ouran is still good, actually

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I watched Ouran first as a 21 year old man and it's just a good show. Doesn't matter how old you are.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
The Air Gear anime was the best Sports fighting anime spinoff to Jet Set Radio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klFVxGAacz0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G6lg--DZcY

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
First off, a complaint
Why the hell is Red Garden not on this page? That show was great and a 2006 alumni

Sakurazuka posted:

I think I'm going to watch best hot anime mum show Witchblade

Witchblade was one of those Gonzo shows that made your eyes roll initially until the story actually took a meaningful and emotional turn. It was really good, and more interesting than I initially thought it was.

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Alas, ROOTS is very, very boring. I say this as someone who loved SIGN, just so you know the extreme depths of blandness to which ROOTS sinks. Nothing actively horrible about it though.

.hack//ROOTS is liked unseasoned, boiled chicken. It's edible, but man is it boring. I loved SIGN, so this surprised me a lot, considering that even SIGN wasn't *that* action paced. It might be because in that kid/tween/teen stage, I identified more with Tsukasa than I did with Haseo. But even so, I actually really, really enjoyed the ending theme by AliP, though, some of the insert/background songs were pretty dull.

OneDeadman posted:

I never saw the anime, but I read the manga. I liked it, up until Oh!Great does his usual thing of drawing stories out and going in insane directions with them...I did, however, enjoy anime *bama

Postal Parcel fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 16, 2016

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
This is spring 2006, not all of 2006

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Postal Parcel posted:

.hack//ROOTS is liked unseasoned, boiled chicken.
boiled chicken, you say?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Endorph posted:

boiled chicken, you say?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
oh hey I remember subbing a lot of shows from this season
not fondly, I should say, fansubbing was not good

well, toodles

e: no I lied

Sakurazuka posted:

it's been like a decade so who the gently caress knows if I remember poo poo, but I don't think I ever finished Simoun either, and from what I remember reading it doesn't even matter because really the climax is several episodes before the actual end of the show and the rest is just sort of an epilogue or whatever. the pacing in that show is just weird in general. I don't think I'd call it "good" today, but as far as I can remember it was very unlike almost any other anime and might be worth checking out just for that alone.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 16, 2016

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

CuLT posted:

How highly would you normally rate recommendations from teenagers? Coming of age and first love stories just resonate more at the age those things happen. There's some shows and films that I thought were overrated and boring as a teenager that I've come to appreciate ten or fifteen years on.

I watched it when I was 18. I think it has to do with how it uses tropes and how many times I've seen that done since in the decade following.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

OneDeadman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klFVxGAacz0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G6lg--DZcY

I watched it when it aired, tried rewatching it recently. Urrrrrgh. It wasn't quite as good as I thought it was back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotoru
Sep 3, 2011

:tviv: I just watched a ship use another ship as a ramp to torpedo a Hind.

This is awesome. Black Lagoon is going to make me seriously regret dismissing it as a dumb action anime if it can keep this level of insanity up.

e: Actually this don't really need insanity. The quieter moments are at least as good.

Rotoru fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Apr 20, 2016

• Locked thread