Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WonderfulWino
Sep 26, 2004

The grape wont cut me loose.
The more I play this the more I like it. The story mode does have some real fun challenges and secrets. I just wish the idiots i keep getting paired up with would stop rushing into every next area expecially the 2nd new area, I got 4 loving unlocks to chose you bastards!

Hope my PC can handle this. I think it will be supported on PC. Still believe this is gonna die on consoles quickly without some sort of crossplay.

Also El Dragon when played right is a loving scream in pvp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
:siren: Open Beta is LIVE on All Platforms :siren:

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

ceebee posted:

:siren: Open Beta is LIVE on All Platforms :siren:

And off to a great start! I've been stuck on Searching For Teammates for 20 minutes with no progress.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Pug Rodeo posted:

And off to a great start! I've been stuck on Searching For Teammates for 20 minutes with no progress.

Really? Took me like two minutes.

Cocoham
Dec 30, 2008
Is Rath bugged? I played him and all his helix/talents just said "coming soon" and some broken code. Wasn't able to pick any of the skills too. I want to play him more if it was just some weird rare bug.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

Mitchicon posted:

Really? Took me like two minutes.

I turned it off and waited an hour then tried again. Much better that time. Actually had a lot of fun.

breaks
May 12, 2001

I think the problem this game has is that it just tries to do too much different stuff. There's a PvE mode, and the MOBA/SMNC like mode, then a couple other PvP modes for some reason. And they actually did a decent job of combining FPS and MOBA elements in the main PvP mode I thought. But as a whole, rather than being variations on a theme like different modes in COD or whatever, it ends up feeling like half a dozen different games stuck together and doesn't really appeal to people who would be fans of any one of them.

On the other hand something like Overwatch is just a pretty solid FPS and has Blizzard Advantage so it does well. And Paragon is a totally standard MOBA with the camera in a different position, and... I don't think it's doing well, but it at least has some people who really enjoy it and will defend it even though it's clearly going to get buried in the same graveyard as the last half dozen MOBAs that didn't add anything to the genre. Whereas with Battleborn there's almost nobody who seems to give a poo poo either way. Kind of a sad state of affairs for a game that I think actually has a lot of bright spots.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I kinda feel like that Reyna is kinda underpowered, at least compared to Miko? At least in the moba-style map? The target mark is nice enough but the cooldown on her overshield is long as gently caress. I guess she gets paired with another support to play more forward/harassing?

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

When the matches are quick it's much more fun, even when you're losing. The problem is those 30 minute matches that go on forever and bore me to tears, but hopefully that's just because nobody knows what they're doing yet.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

This game doesn't think I have DirectX 11.

Almosthere
Mar 9, 2006
I'm really hoping they will add some sort of level balancing for the teams. You either get a team that knows what they're doing or you get one that really doesn't and its a slaughter.

Almosthere fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Apr 14, 2016

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Pug Rodeo posted:

When the matches are quick it's much more fun, even when you're losing. The problem is those 30 minute matches that go on forever and bore me to tears, but hopefully that's just because nobody knows what they're doing yet.

Pretty much that. I've mostly been doing campaign stuff, and pubbies just will not understand quest markers or those team pads yet. I've seen four players unloading into Geoff when he's invincible while even the support characters are like "No, you idiots, step on the glowy thing."

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Okay they really should not allow more than one melee focused character on any given team, cause it's completely broken when they work together, also Rath is the most obnoxious jackass to fight

Judge Ito Boxing
Oct 29, 2011

There's a lot of value in the public being able to see how the system works.
I hate Destiny strikes, I dislike teaming with randos in The Division, but for some reason I like the campaign matchmaking. Probably because all the varied characters make it seem a little different each time.

Also holy poo poo learn Benedict, he's a lot of fun. Are there any other characters with sustained flight?

Plan Z posted:

Pretty much that. I've mostly been doing campaign stuff, and pubbies just will not understand quest markers or those team pads yet. I've seen four players unloading into Geoff when he's invincible while even the support characters are like "No, you idiots, step on the glowy thing."

The downside here (and especially this part) is when everyone knows what to do, you've got to wait two minutes for the radio chatter to move along. Those first fumigation pads should be active immediately.

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

breaks posted:

I think the problem this game has is that it just tries to do too much different stuff. There's a PvE mode, and the MOBA/SMNC like mode, then a couple other PvP modes for some reason. And they actually did a decent job of combining FPS and MOBA elements in the main PvP mode I thought. But as a whole, rather than being variations on a theme like different modes in COD or whatever, it ends up feeling like half a dozen different games stuck together and doesn't really appeal to people who would be fans of any one of them.

On the other hand something like Overwatch is just a pretty solid FPS and has Blizzard Advantage so it does well. And Paragon is a totally standard MOBA with the camera in a different position, and... I don't think it's doing well, but it at least has some people who really enjoy it and will defend it even though it's clearly going to get buried in the same graveyard as the last half dozen MOBAs that didn't add anything to the genre. Whereas with Battleborn there's almost nobody who seems to give a poo poo either way. Kind of a sad state of affairs for a game that I think actually has a lot of bright spots.

Yeah unless your talking overwatch or siege most AAA titles tend to have more than just the most basic of modes. So far in the couple of hours I have played none of the content seems out of place half assed and all the modes seem fun. The humor and mechanics are all consistent throughout the whole of the game. Not sure why you would complain about more content in a game.

Edit this is not meant as a attack on your post I am just confused by it and did not get my weedies(breakfast of champions) today.

xyigx fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Apr 14, 2016

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The art style in this one is really off-putting. That minigun dude's head is way too small.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Strangely i'm having the opposite reaction to this game that i thought i would. I'm thinking the PVE aspects are a little bland while the MOBA parts are pretty drat cool.

I just wish the game would explain itself a bit more? With as much talking as these characters do you'd think they'd stop the jokes for a second to explain the 4 player switches or having some kind of explanation of the map mechanics other than the little slideshows at the beginning of the match (like yeah great we know we need to destroy the enemies robot but no explanation given to the neutral mobs or how you're suppose to actually use the items you've bought and equipped?)

Also i'm very disappointed in Montana's minigun there's like no sound behind it at all, the freaking hit confirmation sounds are louder than it is! I"m finding ISAC to be the better "tank" character with his awesome shields and overcharging mechanics.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

I kinda feel like that Reyna is kinda underpowered, at least compared to Miko? At least in the moba-style map? The target mark is nice enough but the cooldown on her overshield is long as gently caress. I guess she gets paired with another support to play more forward/harassing?

Really? I've found Reyna to be overpowered. She can assassinate heroes pretty quickly with her tagging plus homing plasma. And her cooldown seems pretty quick to me.

WonderfulWino
Sep 26, 2004

I'm consistently outhealed by Renya when I play healer support in both pvp and pve. I was really wishy washy on this a few days ago, I've now preordered it with the season pass nonsense.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Judge Ito Boxing posted:

The downside here (and especially this part) is when everyone knows what to do, you've got to wait two minutes for the radio chatter to move along. Those first fumigation pads should be active immediately.

Good point.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
How is this a 60 dollar game? Overwatch is 40 and Battleborn feels like it ought to be freemium

Like it seriously just feels like someone mixed Dirty Bomb and Monday Night Combat and then Tiny Tiny shat all over it

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I"m finding ISAC to be the better "tank" character with his awesome shields and overcharging mechanics.

Plus ISAC's turret mode is legit as hell in PvE. It lasts literally forever, and the only downside is moving like molasses, but that's irrelevant when you're fighting a boss.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Mitchicon posted:

Really? I've found Reyna to be overpowered. She can assassinate heroes pretty quickly with her tagging plus homing plasma. And her cooldown seems pretty quick to me.

Fair enough, probably making the mistake of comparing character rank 6 Miko to rank 1 Reyna then. I do agree she's significantly better at hybrid "do a little support, pick some idiots off" support, but not hard "I'll drag you fuckers to the end, hell or high water" support like Miko, at least IME.

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

signalnoise posted:

How is this a 60 dollar game? Overwatch is 40 and Battleborn feels like it ought to be freemium

Like it seriously just feels like someone mixed Dirty Bomb and Monday Night Combat and then Tiny Tiny shat all over it

Gearbox has figured out that gamers will preorder anything because they're loving idiots who preordered Alien: Colonial marines and Duke Nukem Forever.

ChickenWyngz
Apr 3, 2015

Got them WMD's! Got that Pandemic!
This is really, really fun.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

signalnoise posted:

Just so you know Overwatch is $40 (only on PC too) because it comes with basically nothing, the $60 actually has all the cosmetic stuff. It's not about preordering it's about the amount of content you get for $60. And to me Battleborn has plenty, if not a lot more than Overwatch.

ceebee fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 14, 2016

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

ceebee posted:

Just so you know Overwatch is $40 (only on PC too) because it comes with basically nothing, the $60 actually has all the cosmetic stuff. It's not about preordering it's about the amount of content you get for $60. And to me Battleborn has plenty, if not a lot more than Overwatch.

Yeah, but as someones whos played both, Overwatch is actually fun and not a straight up X counters Y game.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Ok, so I played this for the last 3 hours or so, and it's fun, but it seems like the gun using characters are pretty useless. People dance around REALLY fast, so it's hard to hit them. That and the gun dudes all do gently caress all for damage. I sat and unloaded on the mushroom dude with Montana for a good 15 seconds and took maybe half of his health? The sword lady came in and beat the piss out of me when I was Oscar Mike in like, what, maybe 10 seconds?

It feels a little imbalanced to melee right now, but I need to play more.

Laura-4-Lyfe
Oct 14, 2005

I just found out you can teleport back to base in the PVP games by holding down on the d-pad. This will give you full health. It is great when your healer is useless.

Savage Shulkie
May 13, 2009

Ogon’ po gotovnosti!

bear is driving! posted:

Ok, so I played this for the last 3 hours or so, and it's fun, but it seems like the gun using characters are pretty useless. People dance around REALLY fast, so it's hard to hit them. That and the gun dudes all do gently caress all for damage. I sat and unloaded on the mushroom dude with Montana for a good 15 seconds and took maybe half of his health? The sword lady came in and beat the piss out of me when I was Oscar Mike in like, what, maybe 10 seconds?

It feels a little imbalanced to melee right now, but I need to play more.

Yea the issue I'd most complain about is that if you have any kind of melee and they want to get a kill they WILL get that kill. Rath is especially bad. What with his slowing you and knocking you up while killing you in the air. After getting destroyed by him in two different games I tried him and went with most kills and 1 death on my team. I've been able to ignore everyone except the robot sniper, and him all you gotta do is come from another angle and you will get him. If they want this to be a fun game they are gonna have to make changes fast or it'll be a really pretty version of Chivalry.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

I downloaded this for Xbox One to give that a shot. I've been looking for a match for 25 minutes now (every time we get to 10 players it throws an error that a player lost connection to the beta server). It almost started once, but it failed to get us a server.

GOTY 2016.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
If you're a ranged character fighting a melee character you can use offhand melee (B/Circle on consoles I believe? Middle Mouse Click on PC) and it does damage and does a knockback. It's useful for getting away from melee. Also the time to kill is not the same as Overwatch, it's not intended to be (but the more experienced people you play against the quicker and more strategic you need to play otherwise you'll get murdered superquick).

Also play PvE content for gear and stuff. Gear is very beneficial to PvP and PvE. You can also play purely PvP to earn currency to buy gear packs/loadouts/etc but in my opinion it's easier to get character unlocks and gear from PvE. You can also name your loadouts to make it easy to use them for whatever characters are your favorites.

Also, Marquis' off hand melee is a front and back bitch slap and it's hilarious killing somebody by slapping them to death.

Edit: Also, if you're trying to kill Miko that character has a heal that heals whoever it's healing and itself. There are characters that take care of healers much faster than Montana, montana is pretty much a tank and it helps to have support running with you. Think of him like the TF2 heavy (also if you dash into somebody and they hit a wall when knocked back they get stunned).

ceebee fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 14, 2016

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

grimcreaper posted:

Yeah, but as someones whos played both, Overwatch is actually fun and not a straight up X counters Y game.

There was a hotfix today to nerf some of the more OP characters. If anything Overwatch has more of an X counters Y game because you're intended to swap characters to deal with what other people pick.

The biggest tip for Battleborn in PvP is to do the objective, kill AI, stick around with your team and stay organized. Staying alive as long as possible is more beneficial than running in and dying immediately. Teleport back to base to get healed full or find a healer.

https://gearboxsoftware.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/210007213-PC-Update-Hot-fix-Information <--hotfix/micropatch changelist

Jaroslav
Dec 31, 2007

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
This is a really awesome game. People should hop on discord and play with us!

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

grimcreaper posted:

Hahahahaha there is so much poo poo in overwatch that just kills you in one shot. Overwatch is designed to make EVERYONE feel special. Obviously counters are much worse than poo poo that goes through terrain and one shots people. Install death with no warning being better than counters, really now I have heard everything.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

If you drop out of a match you can't join ANY other matches until that one is done. So, for example, if you get a poo poo lobby or one that is laggy, you have to wait until it is done to play again. gently caress that. No thank you, save your $60 and play Overwatch instead.

Edit: To elaborate - I was in a match that was laggy from the start. I had been beasting with the Rath all night. I snuck up behind mushroom dude and lit him up, but his health bar didn't move. And then a second and a half later I was dead from full health and shield. I'm not hanging out in a hosed game like that if all skill is out the window and lag makes the rules. I got punished for leaving by not being able to play, even other game modes. That's just dumb and enough to turn me off. That and the obvious ranged vs melee balance issues.

Manxome Foe fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 15, 2016

WonderfulWino
Sep 26, 2004

Montanas finger flick will get that melee off you and give you time to charge.

Arkangelus
Jan 23, 2007
Just had an incursion match where I was the highest level on my team at 8. Lowest on opposing team was level 22. Real good matchmaking right there.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

ISIC is both a cool character and fun to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Either Marquis is really easy to pick and excel with, or he's the only character I'm good at.

I also quite like Shane & Aurox although I'm somewhat less useful with them.

e: Also anyone else have an issue with the sound in this game? The last couple of times I've played the Announcer's voice has gone silent, the character voices have become weirdly muted and my itunes volume nosedives.

Roach Warehouse fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Apr 15, 2016

• Locked thread