Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

what a bunch of loving nerds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Subjunctive posted:

Oki Semiconductor! I had an OkiSemi mouse pad with one of the other characters, NetChampion or something.

oh man this press release is so first-bubble adorable http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/integrated-web-pr-and-advertising-strategy-pays-off-for-oki-semiconductor-76200872.html

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 8, 2016

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

cheese-cube posted:

i'll buy this tag for the next 10 ppl who quote this post (might take me a couple of days to do so, ive just moved house and have no internet yet)

I'm in for the next 10, if someone will tell me how to do it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

uncurable mlady posted:

edit - gently caress, 11th :(

I got you dude

fishmech posted:

heck yeah

also you

how does one add gang tags? just [img] in the av text?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

spankmeister posted:

they have to be on SA's servers so the way it's usually done that you buy it as an avatar for yourself (or someone else but it's more expensive) and then you can use the image in img tags.

ok, I can probably do that this afternoon without loving things up too badly. I guess I have to replace avs and text too, joy.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

there's no good way to get the bbcode for someone's existing title text, is there?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

anthonypants posted:

code:
I'd rather that you didn't, frankly.
[timg]http://fi.somethingawful.com/whatever.png[/timg]
and then check the center title checkbox

Yeah, I mean for others' more intricate ones. say, Captain Foo.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Storysmith posted:

am i too late for the subjunctive offering because gently caress counting things

I think you're in, but I'm not certain atm because, as you say, gently caress counting things

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

IDK how long it takes to clear whatever cache of things and stuff, but:

uncurable mlady
fishmech
Crusader
jre
Captain Foo
Storysmith
Westie
Mad Wack
Testiclops
BeOSPOS

should all be set.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Westie posted:

drat, no tag as of yet. :(

need to save up some money and put it in a "tag fund"

pretty sure I did yours. the receipt only lists 6 names, though it shows the quantity as 10, so idk what's going on there. zdr?

but now I wonder if I hosed it up and just didn't put the tag in like a goddamn moron.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pseudorandom name posted:

hmm, should we use the coordinates of the Geographic Center of the Contiguous United States Park?

nope, gently caress it, round to the nearest integers.

not even the nearest integers, if you check the numbers

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BeOSPOS posted:

:woop:

thanks subj

just gotta wait for the cache to clear

I think there's a problem with the last 4 on that list, I'll have to mail support or something :effort:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm humbled. sweet as.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

There is no more port forwarding, only firewalls. In my case, I have my router's firewall set up to block all incoming connections to anything inside the network, and to "forward" a port I just say "allow connection to ip [whatever] port [whatever]" and bam

What networks does your ISP route to you? It seems like port forwarding could still be a thing, especially if an ISP only gave a small number of publicly-routable addresses to each customer.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

fishmech posted:

i've had full ipv6 for years and no one has hacked my printer or xbox

that you know of

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cocoa Crispies posted:

granny natting, not double dmz natting like you should be

I don't get this joke and I feel like I should

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I am glad that is in my life.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

OSI bean dip posted:

Namecheap live chat social engineering leads to loss of 2 VPS

I thought, nay hoped, that they meant vice-presidents.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

that thread is bad and that guy is the worst

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

apseudonym posted:

I don't know why I have all the security related threads outside of this one bookmarked, reading them just makes me sad or angry.

yeah, it's a sickness

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

spankmeister posted:

no several people are advocating no AV itt

raises hand

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

some serious "shoemaker's children" poo poo itt

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

:vince:
:boom:
:eyepop:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

anthonypants posted:

did people itt really believe osi's password was kjs500? because that's an ancient radium password for everything

scott / tiger

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

https://www.google.com/transparencyreport/safebrowsing/diagnostic/index.html#url=google.com

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

at least they aren't whitelisting themselves

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

yeah i probably should have asked if it was an Important Person first :downs:

you don't copy an Important Person's boss except as an act of war

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

yeah, someone is going to loving burn

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shaggar posted:

yeah but they have restrictions on what they'll sign and they also charge for poo poo which creates a huge barrier when you're a malware creator that gets by on buying random domains as your old ones get shut down.

there have been free DV certs available for years, trusted by IE, which are validated the same way let's encrypt's are. they have been used widely for phishing and malware, again going back years. the difference is that let's encrypt publishes their issuance logs, so people can actually see what's being issued.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shaggar posted:

it being done in the past doesn't mean its a good idea today.

those free certs CAs are still trusted by IE; do you blacklist them out of your configurations?

let's encrypt isn't just about making them free, though that's a necessary precondition for what they want to do. automated "no excuse not to" issuance and server config, short lifetimes, and public issuance logs are what make TLS more ubiquitous and trustworthy

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shaggar posted:

I don't block lets encrypt either but I was thinking about it cause idk anyone legitimate who would use them over a real CA.

The reason people don't use tls everywhere is laziness not cost. For any site that has a reason to use tls the cost of a cert from a brand name CA is peanuts. like these very forums didn't have a cert until a few months ago because the previous admins were incompetent. Not because lowtax couldn't afford it. lets encrypt doesn't solve that problem.

yes, let's encrypt makes it trivial to enable SSL, since it automates server config, request generation, signature submission and cert/key installation. it is explicitly about making it too easy to not bother, because laziness/complexity is the big remaining barrier.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shaggar posted:

the steps to use the automated system are just as complex as setting up the certs yourself if not more so

I don't know anyone who has used both let's encrypt and another CA and would agree. which CA did you use that was as streamlined in terms of generating the request and configuring the server and installing the intermediate certs properly? they are to be commended.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shaggar posted:

it doesn't matter if something is signed by lets encrypt because they will sign anything as long as you can prove access to the domain.

as will any other CA, which is fine, because DV certs only validate that you're connecting to that domain

edit: but in case I'm missing something, what verification policy and mechanism does your preferred CA use instead?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

there better be a big checkbox that is off by default on every OS, 3rd party browser, and JRE install that says "Trust lovely idiot CAs Y/N?"

that would pretty much only leave LE

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Trabisnikof posted:

I want a lock symbol that scales with how expensive the cert was

I think you'll find that they change color instead

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shaggar posted:

yes. I had to send in paperwork about the company to verify who we were.

for a DV cert? which CA was this?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

sounds like you got an OV certificate, for which they verify the organization in order to charge you more for something no user will ever see. EV at least gets you the special browser treatment.

you can get DV from godaddy with just an HTML file in the docroot, like their docs say: https://www.godaddy.com/help/verifying-your-domain-ownership-for-ssl-certificate-requests-html-or-dns-7452

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shaggar posted:

eliminating dv certs entirely would be way better for the internet then giving them away for free

I proposed something very much like this when EV was first mooted, but Microsoft shot it down for bullshit reasons

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shaggar posted:

its probably way more doable now where you have all these clod providers who could provide encryption as a service for your hosted domains. in addition to your payment information you submit corporate verification information and blammo now you can purchase EV certs as a service.

the whole point of EV is that it can't be automated away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shaggar posted:

I was suggesting doing it with an x509 extension rather than outright revoking the trust, but w/e.

i'll let you know if it breaks anything legit.

did you get the other sources of $0 certs too?

• Locked thread