Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Sup, SELinux still good and cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Is there a SHA256 sum of this thread? I could only find a md5sum.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Cause baby, now we've got bad block.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Why the gently caress does CPIO not support extended attributes yet? gently caress you CPIO! And double gently caress you kernel for only supporting CPIO for initramfs. :argh:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Adix posted:

I've never used dd before, but that's input and output, isn't it

Yep. And DD is a exact byte for byte duplicate of whatever you are copying.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Chris Knight posted:

time to pay. pal.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

deep impact on vhs posted:

hear me out on this: im gonna make a viral marketing campaign, and the end goal will be to have tens of thousands of people calling me a retard

Well that would be easy, the 2nd part is ready done.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The sql password on the project I inherited was motocross, stored in plaintext, on a product that had the same simple root password for every single one we sold. :gonk:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

shall i compare thee to an md5?

Thou art more salted and hashed.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

first and most obvious question: why are you rolling your own protocol

Don't roll your own protocol. Hitler rolled his own protocol and look what happened to him!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Shaggar posted:

reminds me of the RIAA/MPAA

PIRACY IS NOT A VICTIMLESS CRIME.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

I've pointed this out on the departmental email including links to hscic guidance but looks like it's still going ahead!

All my nightshifts are on obstetrics from now on and a consultant holds it during the day so at least I don't have to physically touch it.

You do realize that if you continue to do this you can also be found culpable in this illegal activity right?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Volmarias posted:

Enjoy your newfound moral dilemma of doing the right thing and getting fired for "unsatisfactory performance" in a year and black balled, or dealing with the vague threat of criminal culpability from a law that has never resulted in a prosecution.

And that's the dilemma. If know it's poo poo, and I'm not trying to act morally superior. Just giving him the heads up is all.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

"That guy knew it was wrong and didn't try to physically stop us it's his fault!!!"

More like: That guy knew it was wrong and still continued to send texts out.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ewiley posted:

Meh, doing thing with explicit approval from management is 99% of the time an employee's get out of jail free card. Unless you're murdering someone in a Nazi death camp, 'just following orders' is actually a valid defense. You're not personally responsible for securing your employers process, just following it consistently and correctly. They may have compensating controls on the back-end that he's unaware of.

If it was me I would CYA with at least a email from management, if not a printed and signed document explicitly saying it's ok for me to do this.

Edit* I have done this twice in my career, and both times management backed off and told me to forget about doing it. Making somebody else culpable is the easiest way to get illegal activities to stop pretty quick.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Shaggar posted:

nah if he brought it up with his hospitals lawyers they'll drop a bag of poo poo on the docs so fast because they know its a terrible and pointless risk when there are easy ways to do it correctly.

I forgot that hospitals have lawyers on retainer specifically for this. This is probably the correct answer, as it seems like Shaggar knows his poo poo when it comes to infosec in hospitals.

Also, this is what I imagine all hospital lawyers to be like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1ZtaaFZDcI&hd=1

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Nissan also used lovely plastic around their time for their guides as well on the VQ engines. They failed spectacularly at 150k miles on the dot.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Trying "<script>test</script>" breaks SA Needful lmbo.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Symbolic Butt posted:

cjs: thinking about rolling my own crypto :ohdear:

When you roll your own crypto, your roll with Hitler.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Don't post my password of SEVLOWREBMIT. Thanks!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

online friend posted:

ok so that was loving stupid

RCE = spam?

He's saying remote code execution aint no big, some people might just get a bit of spam, what's the big deal???

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The chip is stupid and is subject to MitM attacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JABJlvrZWbY

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

thanks!

just looking at strings right now there's a bunch of stuff about "decrypting with AES key" and then two suspiciously long hex strings right after that, ohhh boy :getin:

I am a embedded Linux systems engineer and the sheer lack of security I find in like, 99% of all embedded Linux devices is horrifying.

Plain-text passwords thrown on the FS?
Debug scripts in production?
root enabled?
easily guessed passwords?
production code written in python left un-compiled on the device?

Seen it all and then some.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

at least it's using SSL when it wgets a kernel module and insmod's it without checking anything about what it is

lol j/k it's using tftp

sure, here: https://patrick.codes/stuff/shd

that guy is run with no arguments at the end of the rcS script (right after a thankfully commented-out call to telnet :v:). looks like the rest of the os is just some stock thing Atheros threw together to run on their little embedded chipset, except for some calibration and test tools that look like they're for the HS110 (which also monitors how much power the device is using - i have one but I haven't taken it apart yet) and "public.key" which looks like some kind of SSL key but openssl couldn't figure it out.

If we had a Embedded Linux security thread the op would just be a gigantic "LOL" and nothing more.

Jesus christ that's bad.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

yeah I saw a few neato strings.

also i'll grab the weird kernel module nonsense it's got too, it puts a "smart_home" folder in /proc and if you cat any of the things in the folder (pretty stupidly simple stuff like led_off) it vomits a bunch of memory all over the screen in what looks a lot like a buffer overflow :gonk:

I have yet to see a foreign programmed module not puke horribly at the first sign you try to use it in any way shape or form it wasn't meant to be used.

10$ says that module comes from India.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Just for some quick fun I logged into my Edgemax router to see if they had SELinux enabled. NOPE.

How hard is it to integrate SELinux into your projects? I did it in less than a week, and that's with a custom policy on top of it. God drat embedded Linux security is a joke.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

This one time I tried to set it up when I was like 15 years old and it was hard and I gave up :qq:

Oh god what is a policy how to I edit it? WHY CAN'T I RUN AUDIT2ALLOW ON MY EMBEDDED DEVICE???

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
It's a unicorn. Much like the unicorn, it's a myth that this product isn't a scam.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

spankmeister posted:

I usually google the hash first, works way better than it should.

I am starting to think I am the only embedded Linux systems engineer that uses sha256 and disables root. :smith:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

jetz0r posted:

we found the unicorn

Our current product is a RTOS that's user/pass is admin/admin, runs a open telnet server that can't be termed off and let's you delete the bootloader that can be learned from the help menu.

The front end web interface is just as bad with a log out feature that just brings you to a log out page and doesn't actually log you out.

We are switching to a embedded Linux platform (the reason I was hired) and I am focusing 100% on security. Disabling root, sha256, SELinux, removing any programs, ssh (with a ssh chroot jail), initramfs on a secure partition, encrypted emmc, a one time programmable sha256 key in the processor die for program authentication, and a bunch of other poo poo I can't think of at the moment.

I am pretty excited about it!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Heresiarch posted:

i know that this is an autocorrect glitch but i laughed
Hah, thanks for pointing that out. I too have now laughed.

YeOldeButchere posted:

what the hell, do you have any idea how much time you're losing on all that useless bullshit when you should be pushing to the market asap???

I told the higher ups October and sales/marketing tried to push July. I shut them the gently caress down real quick. :v:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

When I tried to do that at my last job someone literally showed me how security didn't matter because we lose $x money for every day we're not launching and a security breach is only estimated to lose us $y money so it's fine!

I told them it will prevent corporate espionage and they instantly gave me the go-ahead. We have had our products stolen before, so it was a easy sell.

The fact that it protects customers is just second to them. :v:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Midjack posted:

if it's a legitimate rc.script the server has ways to just try to shut that whole thing down

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The new engineer is trying to convince me that a self signed certificate on a internal git server is bad and that we should fork over the money for a signed certificate on all of our internal servers. :allears:

He is upset that the build server (that's internal only) has git ssl verification turned off and that it's not a safe security practice. Well yeah, if that build server, or git server could be connected to from the outside.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Jabor posted:

the new engineer is right.

well, not about paying for a ca-signed certificate (you should run an internal ca and have that mint all your internal certs), but they seem to have good thoughts about everything else.

Sure, and that's how it is on corporate. On the engineering network on a different domain without any outward facing servers, is it possible to have "Companyname.com" issue certs for "*.eng.local" ?

Edit*

I am retarded and am now looking into a internal CA. Thanks fellow infosec anklebiters! I am not good with the internet oh god.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 18, 2016

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Jabor posted:

yes?

no ca worth their salt would sign it with a public root certificate (and by that I mean "you might have to shop around a bit, or pay a bit extra". cas suck), but that's why you run your own. you control the machines, so you can set up your internal ca as a trusted root, and then sign whatever certs you like.

don't make a wildcard cert unless you're really dumb, though. you give your git server a cert for git.eng.local, and your build server a cert for build.eng.local, etc.

Yeah, I am almost done setting this up. Why the gently caress didn't I do this to begin with? I have failed you infosec thread. :negative:

At least all the servers I setup on the network have firealld turned on, selinux enabled, yum-cron, and ssl enabled.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 18, 2016

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Shaggar posted:

u can setup a 2 tier internal CA infrastructure in windows pretty easily. Create an offline root and then online intermediates for doing the actual signing. If you have 2 internal networks you can create 2 intermediates signed by the shared root and then deploy them all thru ad. ez pz.

I did it with the domain Cent7 server in like, 5 minutes. :negative:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Cent7 is cool and good. It also has SELinux set to enforcing.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Dex posted:

how long did you spend arguing with the new guy before this

Like, a minute or so? I was too busy working on the embedded Linux project to really pull my concentration for long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Phone posted:

there's a nadim bot

it's good.

e: slack is irc for people who don't know what irc is and want to paradigm shift their jo crystals or whatever

I use IRC and Slack. :colbert:

• Locked thread