Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
You're busted dude is definitely necessary

also all the times tavis ormandy caught AV firms royally loving up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
BAUD DUDES reminds me of this t-shirt my dad had that had this comic book superhero-stylized CAPTAIN CODEC on the front and on the back was another picture of him and the LAN/WAN twins, does anyone know what the gently caress I'm talking about

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

Oki Semiconductor! I had an OkiSemi mouse pad with one of the other characters, NetChampion or something.

I looked it up (apparently I didn't try "captain codec" in quotes before) and got Oki Semiconductor, which I definitely remember. It also reminded me of NetWarrior, which I think was kind of a palette swap of Captain CODEC. Unfortunately I can't for the life of me find any pictures of the shirt or the superheroes or anything apart from a couple of press releases and people mentioning the campaign in passing.

Dad also had an MSN beta test shirt with an anvil falling onto a bug

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

BiohazrD posted:

I'm very disappointed. i saw the last thread and closed and assumed something amazing had happened

We went a year without pooptouching! :toot:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Sharktopus posted:

I like baud bitches thats my fuckin problem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JATjMZJuX1c

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

BiohazrD posted:

original fast and furious

what does not arresting illegal arms sellers have to do with funy computer

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

christ i hate loving emojis leaking into everything, one guy on my team keeps putting them in unit tests so they report their status of "success" with "clappy hand" or whatever

I read an interesting article about how different people interpret emojis differently, and how the problem is exacerbated by different companies having different-looking emoji sets (e.g. smiling and grinning looks happy with the Google and LG set but painful with the Apple set)

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

holy poo poo

"One one hand, this is a flagrant misuse of this community resource and must be discouraged. On the other hand, ~my rep points~"

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoJLINI1uJs

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

yes, tons of poo poo, and the people who advocate no AV are idiots and should not touch large networks of general purpose workstations.

nobody's advocating no AV, we're just saying that installing one is pointless because Windows already comes with one, and that discussing the merits of antivirus is a fool's errand at best.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
that looks like one of those passwords SA automatically generates for you when you make a new account, I'd assume he didn't use it anywhere else

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

FopeDush posted:

I still remember having to memorize poo poo about "bluesnarfing" to get my (required) security+ cert

e: haha wiki article about bluesnarfing has

fits the CompTIA MO of having you memorize useless trivia

A+ still asks you about what to do when your mouse and video card share the same IRQ address

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Microsoft goes the Oki Semiconductor route and invents a superhero to spread OneTouch publicity

OneTouchMan

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

pseudorandom name posted:

nobody's going to comment on Shaggar citing Trend Micro's complaint that malware hosts are getting free certs from Let's Encrypt instead of buying them from Trend Micro?

Mrend Ticro

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
can someone link me to the quote of the javascript founder saying that the easiest way to get infect people is to buy an ad

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Winkle-Daddy posted:

is $ANTIVIRUS no longer some lovely anti-virus?

no

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

it's a pet rock AND a firewall! Genius

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Downloading a loose .dll file should result in someone from Microsoft personally slapping the keyboard and mouse out of your hands

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

cbt has other possible meanings if you hang out with psych nerds or kinksters

i don't want ballmer to do either one to me :ohdear:

section 4: humbler

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Captain Foo posted:

cool article but 2 bytes to 951 million dollars just doesn't have the same ring as 2 minutes to midnight imo

The sample that threatens doom

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Munkeymon posted:

Google music (I think it's called but it's Google so maybe they renamed it for funsies) let's you upload 100+ gigs and stream it back to yourself and supports saving it to the local device

It's Google Play Music now, and it's really great for that stuff. Also you can download "stations" (really just curated playlists that are changed every so often) locally so you can listen to them while out and about, then they get updated when you hook up to wi-fi again

it also comes with youtube red (and vice-versa) so you dont get any ads on youtube on your phone which is nice

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

OSI bean dip posted:

this isn't the music thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoZgZT4DGSY

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Sharktopus posted:

not necessarily a sec fuckup but it makes me giggle:

https://code.google.com/p/android/i...%BC%A9%EF%BC%A4

Chef Boyardee really did do the best remix of Robocop C64

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHo7npmGcHU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
nobody stalks sarah jeong, she just blows poo poo out of proportion because she's one of those people who cries about ~~berniebros~~

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

wyoak posted:

hackers own your scale, give your teenagers body dysmorphia

overwrite the audio files in the firmware to make the scale say "Your Weight Is: INTEGER OVERFLOW. TOO FAT"

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Has Tavis Ormandy found any exploits or issues with Windows Defender? Has he audited that at all? Here he says Defender/MSE is "the closest" to competent AV, which implies that it's still incompetent.

https://twitter.com/taviso/status/676799692936581120

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

anthonypants posted:

yeah, and that redditor/4channer came by to tell us she was simply overreacting

I don't have a reddit account and I only go on /d/ so lmao

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

i do not think this is something of which you should be proud

who said I was proud of it

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

spankmeister posted:

What's wrong with it?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

last I checked 840 and 850 were two different numbers

I think it's a fair assumption that similar model numbers means similar parts, which could mean similar firmware

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

nevermind that poo poo

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

minivanmegafun posted:

and how online harassment doesn't exist

I never said that but okay

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

OSI bean dip posted:

i've been using two canaries believe it or not

it has done its job so far

Gee, Bill!

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

atomicthumbs posted:

Java: now for the web browser

https://www.javapoly.com/

now I can get the ask toolbar installed without even leaving the browser

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

fishmech posted:

i'm honestly impressed that they're on the ball enough to have their latest full site backup be just 6 days old.

there's businesses out there doing billions of dollars of business a year that might have to go back a whole month or more if their live data got deleted/cryptolockered

nothing motivates a furry quite like their fursonas

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Jazz Jackrabbit is a creation of Cliff Bleszinski and Nick Stadler.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

online friend posted:

do you know how many sonic the hedgehog fursonas there are

just saying

Here's a fun game to try: Go to DeviantArt and search "$YOURFIRSTNAME The Hedgehog"

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

fishmech posted:

a database of furrys willing to pay for art commissions is a database of people who spend a lot of money

I remember reading about this one guy who made a furry collectable card game, sort of like Magic but with fox tits. Along with starter and booster packs, he made a set of five binders which contained every single card in the game, which he put up for sale for $1000 each. The binders sold out within an hour.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

BARONS INFOSEC SCAM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Slack is IRC for Millennials

• Locked thread