Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I posted it in the main thread, but what do people think of my superfriends deck? It's been performing pretty well.

e; Here's a tappedout link that's maybe a bit easier to read:

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/superfriends-for-standard/

I've swapped the maindeck Call the gatewatch for Sarkhan.

mehall fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Izzet Already Over

Land (20)
2x Highland Lake
6x Island
6x Mountain
4x Shivan Reef
2x Wandering Fumarole

Sorcery (6)
2x Exquisite Firecraft
4x Slip Through Space

Enchantment (6)
2x Fevered Visions
4x Infectious Bloodlust

Instant (16)
4x Expedite
4x Fiery Impulse
4x Rush of Adrenaline
4x Titan's Strength

Creature (12)
4x Elusive Spellfist
2x Jori En, Ruin Diver
4x Stormchaser Mage
2x Thing in the Ice

No my deck, but one I saw that looks like it holds some promise. I'd tinkered a bit with U/R aggro early on, but this guy seems like he's ironed out a few of the issues with consistency I was having.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

if you're running 2 fumarole just run 4 instead of 2 highland lake.

e: also 4 unleashed fury instead of bloodlust.

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Apr 18, 2016

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

im building this black tempo-control standard deck that's built to sneak into a trisk win condition because that'd be funny as hell, and i think it might have some potential but i think it needs some more focus, any advice?

Deck: Mono Black Control?

//Main
2 Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
2 Risen Executioner
2 Mindwrack Demon
4 Relentless Dead
2 Ob Nixilis Reignited
4 Grasp of Darkness
4 Call the Bloodline
2 Alms of the Vein
2 Dark Petition
3 Dead Weight
3 Languish
3 Ruinous Path
2 Read the Bones
2 Duress
1 Triskaidekaphobia
4 Blighted Fen
18 Swamp

//Sideboard
2 Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
3 Infinite Obliteration
2 Oblivion Strike
1 Ob Nixilis Reignited
1 Sinister Concoction
2 Duress
2 Demonic Pact
2 To the Slaughter

Display deck statistics

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
I'm trying to build an angel deck, and was wondering of any cards that I would be able to use that would make it easier to play high mana costing creatures for cheaper

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Heartless summoning and cards like aether vial, quicksilver amulet

Shamshel
Sep 20, 2003

Angel of phallic symbols
So, I'm working on a deck for the paper pauper tournament my LGS has. They allow all cards printed in common in paper, but only use the MTGO ban list. My goal is to get goblin grenade banned. I've mostly been playing it on xmage, and it has a decent game against delver/cyclops and some other tiered decks, but its still firmly tier 2 (at best!)

Does anyone have any suggestions at first glance to improve it?

http://deckstats.net/deck-9815931-7fe7d1e1c9fd1c13d951e0b78e6f9a09.html?builder=1

//Lands
2 Swamp
5 Mountain
4 Rakdos Guildgate
4 Great Furnace
4 Vault of Whispers
4 Bloodfell Caves

//creatures
3 Goblin Bushwhacker
4 Kuldotha Rebirth
4 Mogg War Marshal
2 Gurmag Angler

//other permanents
3 Chromatic Star
3 Ichor Wellspring

//spells
4 Goblin Grenade
2 Dynacharge
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Dragon Fodder
4 Terminate

//Sideboard
SB: 3 Electrickery
SB: 3 Diabolic Edict
SB: 3 Pyroblast
SB: 4 Smash to Smithereens
SB: 2 Echoing Decay
[/deck]

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Continuing to work on making Sin Prodder a thing. Here's the second version with a colorless splash.

Deck: Big Red Prodding, Act 2

//Main
4 Fiery Temper
4 Avaricious Dragon
4 Sin Prodder
4 Goblin Dark-Dwellers
4 Exquisite Firecraft
4 Thunderbreak Regent
13 Mountain
3 Lightning Axe
3 Draconic Roar
3 Tormenting Voice
2 Avacyn's Judgment
4 Sea Gate Wreckage
4 Shivan Reef
4 Battlefield Forge

//Sideboard
4 Eldrazi Obligator
4 Thought-Knot Seer
2 Warping Wail
3 Chandra, Flamecaller
2 Kozilek's Return

Display deck statistics

Remembering Lightning Axe was in this standard actually helped me out a lot, in most cases it ends up being two mana to kill a creature and deal 3 damage to something else with Fiery Temper. This deck is slow to start but it can reduce an opponent's life fast with a combination of evasive beaters, basically all the burn available in standard, and some really nifty card advantage engines and synergies. I'd have to say the cheap discard engines with Fiery Temper are the glue that make the deck work, paying three mana and two cards to draw two cards and bolt something feels really good. Every Instant or Sorcery in the deck is a hit with Goblin Dark-Dwellers (19 mainboard, 4 sideboard), there are eight dragons in the maindeck, which is about the perfect number to convert Draconic Roar into a Landfall Searing Blaze. Having cards that discard make Sea Gate Wreckage an actual viable card draw engine, and Avaricious Dragon would even help turn it on.

If decks are running a lot of removal, I usually swap out some number of avaricious dragon and draconic roar package for thought-knot Seers. The sideboard is still a work in progress, but the only card I'm really unsure about it the eldrazi obligator. I can figure situations where it would be useful, but I don't seem to get in those situations too often (single big creature I can't punch through). Probably my biggest issue is a lack of reliable turn one plays, and that a three mana pyroclasm isn't great when the aggro decks have Thalia's Lieutenants and Always Watchings. The plan against aggro is basically 1 to 1 removal before resolving a big threat and going to town, hopefully gaining a large card advantage. Against any blue control decks or slow decks... burn baby burn. 4 maindeck Exquisite Firecraft means control is gonna have a tough time, especially when you can get spell mastery fairly reliably (discard package, soo good). If a deck is just playing the Pulse of Murasa, buyback Pulse with Den Protectors and Goblin Dark-Dwellers plan, you either kill em fast, pray they don't draw it, or just scoop and not waste your time.

What this deck lacks in powerful cards (black splash giving access to discard, Kalitas and Languish, green giving access to the long grind) it makes up for with raw synergy and more reach than any deck in standard right now. Sin Prodder burns, Thunderbreak Regent burns, Goblin Dark Dwellers burns, the burn spells burn, it's all about getting hot, getting sweaty, and getting your fiery temper on.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Deck: W/B Control

//Lands
4 Caves of Koilos
2 Forsaken Sanctuary
5 Plains
4 Shambling Vent
9 Swamp
2 Westvale Abbey

//Spells
2 Anguished Unmaking
3 Dead Weight
4 Declaration in Stone
3 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
4 Grasp of Darkness
3 Languish
3 Read the Bones
3 Secure the Wastes
3 Sorin, Grim Nemesis
3 Transgress the Mind

//Creatures
3 Archangel Avacyn

//Sideboard
3 Infinite Obliteration
1 Languish
1 Dead Weight
1 Transgress the Mind
2 Ruinous Path
3 Duress
2 Reality Smasher
2 Thought-Knot Seer

Display deck statistics

This deck has been evolving quite a bit the more I play it and I think it is in a really good spot right now. It is really stacked against the metagame at the moment. The basic premise of this deck is to go removal heavy often and early and then fixing your turns with read the bones and/or totally blowing out your opponent with languish. Get to the late game ahead and you win. The sideboard still needs a lot of work. I am not a great deckbuilder and I assume someone from the pro tour will make the core of this into a monster.

Lets go over the meta and how the deck stacks up.

Bant Company - The elephant in the room.

Game one is loving great. All your removal is great and languish 2+/1 very often. Secure the waste loving shines its rear end off in this matchup and your late game is simply stronger.

Post board it would seem like it should get a lot worse right? Wingclip/negate/declaration in stone are all in the sideboard and all are pretty good against the deck. The problem is that the deck only has 4 spells to take out and removing creatures makes company much worse. Duress comes in and some other stuff goes down to 3x from 4x and both players prepare for the long game. Good bant opponents will just drop a creature or two and just hang back, forcing you to use removal or get less out of your languishes. If you meet each creature with removal, this falls apart, otherwise it can get kind of hairy. The best method I found is to sit on duress/transgress and use it as a shield to land something big. I also use my secure the wastes aggressively as possible for 2/3/4x to bait a negate. Usually sorin/gideon/avancyn/smasher just overpowers them later. Its pretty skill testing on both players and much more fun than another bant company mirror.

w/u Humans
This deck for the most part has gone down to 3 always watching and 2 dragonlords, which were the only parts of the deck that kept this competitive. The matchup doesn't get better for them post board and it only gets better for you. This deck has the same problems against you that bant does without the late game staying power. This deck is just bad when it doesn't draw an always watching. Snagging an always watching with transgress/duress or removing it with unmaking is just back breaking. Languish again is just great vs this thing.

G/R Ramp

As long as your hand and top decks aren't a steady stream of languishes you beat ramp game 1. Game 2-3 aren't usually even close.

U/R Control

Can you force them to discard goggles or removal it with unmaking? Did you have removal for their creatures, especially Jace? You win, if not, you lose. There isn't a lot of this in my meta and if you dodge it the first couple of rounds its most likely not something you are going to see. I would probably bring in a few obliterations/duresses if I faced this deck and hoped for the best.

Mono white Humansl

Did you draw removal and languish before you were dead? Honestly I have demolished this deck every time I have played against it but it is a very consistent deck.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
I am a bad magic player and I play bad decks whenever possible. Like this jank:

Deck: U/R Eldrazi

//Lands
2 Foundry of the Consuls
3 Island
6 Mountain
2 Ruins of Oran-Rief
3 Sea Gate Wreckage
4 Shivan Reef
2 Spawning Bed
3 Wandering Fumarole

//Spells
2 Chandra, Flamecaller
4 Fiery Impulse
3 Spatial Contortion
2 Warping Wail

//Creatures
3 Eldrazi Skyspawner
4 Hedron Crawler
3 Herald of Kozilek
4 Reality Smasher
3 Ruination Guide
4 Thought-Knot Seer
3 Vile Aggregate

//Sideboard
2 Dispel
2 Negate
1 Warping Wail
1 Spatial Contortion
3 Eldrazi Obligator
2 Drowner of Hope
4 Displacement Wave

Display deck statistics

This is a horrible mish-mash of stupid and I should be shot. My numbers are all over the place with creatures and I'm not sure if the two drowner of hopes in the side should just be Oblivion Sowers

Of note, Displacement Wave is incredible to play against people relying on tokens or low cmc creatures. I nailed a Bant Company deck with a wave for 3 after two consecutive CoCo's once, the tempo hit pushed them so far back that by they time they'd stabilized, I had two TKS out and was flying over their crew for 6-8 per turn.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Shamshel posted:

So, I'm working on a deck for the paper pauper tournament my LGS has. They allow all cards printed in common in paper, but only use the MTGO ban list. My goal is to get goblin grenade banned. I've mostly been playing it on xmage, and it has a decent game against delver/cyclops and some other tiered decks, but its still firmly tier 2 (at best!)

Does anyone have any suggestions at first glance to improve it?

http://deckstats.net/deck-9815931-7fe7d1e1c9fd1c13d951e0b78e6f9a09.html?builder=1

//Lands
2 Swamp
5 Mountain
4 Rakdos Guildgate
4 Great Furnace
4 Vault of Whispers
4 Bloodfell Caves

//creatures
3 Goblin Bushwhacker
4 Kuldotha Rebirth
4 Mogg War Marshal
2 Gurmag Angler

//other permanents
3 Chromatic Star
3 Ichor Wellspring

//spells
4 Goblin Grenade
2 Dynacharge
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Dragon Fodder
4 Terminate

//Sideboard
SB: 3 Electrickery
SB: 3 Diabolic Edict
SB: 3 Pyroblast
SB: 4 Smash to Smithereens
SB: 2 Echoing Decay
[/deck]

My suggestion is that black is only going to slow you down in a format that is extremely fast. Drop every black card, go for speed beyond anything, and if it's legal jam 3 red elemental blast in your board to go with pyroblast. It's basically going to be high tide/delver and monoblack as your main opponents, so gear for that.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

TheLawinator posted:

My suggestion is that black is only going to slow you down in a format that is extremely fast. Drop every black card, go for speed beyond anything, and if it's legal jam 3 red elemental blast in your board to go with pyroblast. It's basically going to be high tide/delver and monoblack as your main opponents, so gear for that.

Legal goblin grenade, gently caress yeah just go mono red.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Esper Control

My angelic Tutelage deck has been running alright, but I'm wondering if splashing in for black would maybe help it run a bit better, I'v been having a bit of trouble running against some of the midrange decks out there right now. Mostly splashing black for Sorin, Ob and Read the Bones.

//Land

4x Caves of Koilos
4x Evolving Wilds
4x Forsaken Sanctuary
5x Plains
4x Prairie Stream
4x Sunken Hollow
1x Swamp

//Enchantment

3x Oath of Jace
3x Sigil of the Empty Throne
4x Silkwrap
4x Sphinx's Tutelage
4x Stasis Snare

//Sorcery

4x Declaration in Stone
3x Duress
3x Read the Bones

//Planeswalkers

3x Ob Nixilis Reignited
3x Sorin, Grim Nemesis

I'm wondering about slotting out Duress for immolating glare to give me some more instant speed responses to stuff. Right now the downside with this is that I'm hideously exposed to planeswalkers (I have no suppression bonds or quarantine fields in here so far) and relying on angels to smack their planes walkers down isn't consistent enough I found that out with my angelic tutelage deck. Duress could help, but it only goes so far.

Angelic Tutelage What I'm currently running.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Esper Control

My angelic Tutelage deck has been running alright, but I'm wondering if splashing in for black would maybe help it run a bit better, I'v been having a bit of trouble running against some of the midrange decks out there right now. Mostly splashing black for Sorin, Ob and Read the Bones.

//Land

4x Caves of Koilos
4x Evolving Wilds
4x Forsaken Sanctuary
5x Plains
4x Prairie Stream
4x Sunken Hollow
1x Swamp

//Enchantment

3x Oath of Jace
3x Sigil of the Empty Throne
4x Silkwrap
4x Sphinx's Tutelage
4x Stasis Snare

//Sorcery

4x Declaration in Stone
3x Duress
3x Read the Bones

//Planeswalkers

3x Ob Nixilis Reignited
3x Sorin, Grim Nemesis

I'm wondering about slotting out Duress for immolating glare to give me some more instant speed responses to stuff. Right now the downside with this is that I'm hideously exposed to planeswalkers (I have no suppression bonds or quarantine fields in here so far) and relying on angels to smack their planes walkers down isn't consistent enough I found that out with my angelic tutelage deck. Duress could help, but it only goes so far.

Angelic Tutelage What I'm currently running.

You would be better off with dead weight. Jace doesn't attack and it will show up. Hell, ultimate price is where you want to be too.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Sickening posted:

You would be better off with dead weight. Jace doesn't attack and it will show up. Hell, ultimate price is where you want to be too.

So you'd reccomend dropping the oaths?

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Boros Midrange

Creature (18)
2x Enthralling Victor
4x Eldrazi Displacer
4x Goblin Dark-Dwellers
2x Knight of the White Orchid
2x Linvala, the Preserver
4x Thraben Inspector
Land (24)
4x Battlefield Forge
4x Evolving Wilds
8x Mountain
6x Plains
2x Wastes
Planeswalker (2)
2x Nahiri, the Harbinger
Instant (10)
2x Lightning Axe
4x Fiery Impulse
4x Fiery Temper
Sorcery (6)
4x Avacyn's Judgment
2x Tormenting Voice

I'm just getting into Magic. I wanted to use the Nahiri I opened in my first pack, so I put this together. What do you folks think? I'd like to keep it within some kind of reasonable budget so no Archangel Avacyn or Declaration in Stone for now. I would just be playing in casual games and FNMs.

EDIT: Apparently somebody was playing a red-white deck with Pyromancer's Goggles in the pro tour.

uninverted fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 23, 2016

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Esper Control

Now that I've played enough games with the W/U Angelic Tutelage deck, I'm now forced to sadly conclude that the Sigil/Enchantment deck just isn't quite there, or at least, not there in the capacity I've built this deck. Transferring that over to this Esper Control deck idea, I'm mulched some of the enchantment focus and folded in more mill/control.

Lands// (23)

4x Caves of Koilos
3x Evolving Wilds
4x Forsaken Sanctuary
4x Plains
4x Prairie Stream
4x Sunken Hollow

Planeswalkers// (6)

3x Ob Nixilis Reignited
3x Sorin, Grim Nemesis

Instants//: (11)

3x Anguished Unmaking
4x Catalog
4x Ultimate Price

Enchantments// (12)

4x Oath of Jace
4x Sphinx's Tutelage
4x Stasis Snare

Sorcery// (8)

4x Declaration in Stone
4x Read the Bones

Sideboard//: (15)

3x Duress
4x Negate
3x Suppression Bonds
2x To the Slaughter
3x Transgress the Mind

Goldfishing this has been a low more smooth than the other deck, but I'll still need to test this more. Sorin and Ob are a lot better in the 5 and 6 drop slot than the Sigil, and both give me good solutions to problems, I can get more card draw off them to enable the Tutelages and they also give me good removal as well. Both their ults are reasonable to achieve and can give me good win conditions (Obs can be pretty nasty given all the card draw that been around lately).

Sideboard wise I might take out to the Slaughter and bring in Planar Outburst for some of the aggro token strategies.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Esper Flicker

This deck takes advantage of Eldrazi Displacer, Essence Flux, and Eerie Interlude to take advantage of creatures with strong ETB effects. Primary win con is flickering Priest of the Blood Rite to create a bunch of 5/5 flying demons, and there's some bounce and removal for interaction as well as getting rid of the Priest when you need to.

Creatures:

4 Eldrazi Displacer
2 Priest of the Blood Rite
4 Reflector Mage
4 Thought-Knot Seer

Enchantments:

2 Stasis Snare

Instants:

2 Disperse
4 Eerie Interlude
4 Essence Flux

Planeswalkers:

1 Jace, Unraveler of Secrets
1 Narset Transcendent

Sorcery:

2 Clutch of Currents
2 Dark Petition
2 Declaration in Stone

Land:

4 Caves of Koilos
3 Evolving Wilds
3 Island
2 Mirrorpool
1 Plains
2 Port Town
2 Prairie Stream
2 Sea Gate Wreckage
4 Shambling Vent
1 Swamp

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Here's a durdley Pauper deck I've been tinkering with that can produce infinite damage and/or infinite 3/3 golems. It's also extremely budget friendly.

Deck: Roflthopter

//Lands
2 Evolving Wilds
11 Island
2 Mortuary Mire
7 Mountain

//Spells
4 Anticipate
3 Banishing Knack
4 Bone Saw
3 Golem Foundry
4 Impact Tremors
4 Retraction Helix

//Creatures
4 Battered Golem
4 Mirran Spy
4 Nettle Drone
4 Ornithopter

Display deck statistics

This deck is constructed around an infinite loop with multiple paths. All paths require 1x copy of Banishing Knack/Retraction Helix, 1x Ornithopter/Bone Saw, 1x Nettle Drone/Mirran Spy/Battered Golem (To untap the Retraction Helix target) and 1x Nettle Drone/Impact Tremors/Golem foundry (To use the loop to produce infinite damage or tokens).

As an example, assume you have in play 1x Battered Golem, 1x Impact Tremors and you have 1x Retraction Helix and 1x Ornithopter in your hand. You cast the Ornithopter, dealing 1 damage via Impact Tremors. You then cast Retraction Helix on the Battered Golem, tap him targeting Ornithopter, then re-cast Ornithopter, which untaps Battered Golem and triggers Impact Tremors again. Rinse and repeat as necessary.

It's a pretty fragile combo and will likely fall apart in the face of focused hand disruption or creature removal. That being said, the multiple paths do allow flexibility in completing the combo. A couple copies of Mortuary Mire are included to retrieve a combo piece, if necessary.

Some paths, unfortunately, do not work. For example, looping Bone Saws will not trigger Impact Tremors. They will, however, trigger Nettle Drone and/or Golem Foundry. Just make certain you don't try to go infinite without an outlet.

Enjoy!

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Iucounu posted:

Esper Flicker

This deck takes advantage of Eldrazi Displacer, Essence Flux, and Eerie Interlude to take advantage of creatures with strong ETB effects. Primary win con is flickering Priest of the Blood Rite to create a bunch of 5/5 flying demons, and there's some bounce and removal for interaction as well as getting rid of the Priest when you need to.

This seems better as UW and using Linvala or Drowner of Hope instead of your demon-maker.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
BW Midrange doesn't seem to have made a big impact in standard yet, could that change? I don't think there'a anything badly wrong with it in the meta, which has been varied, so maybe it's just a matter of time?

Do you guys think it would be better to focus on removal or fielding creatures? So far I've played creature decks, I've liked having Ayli and Avacyn together and being able to flip the latter. I like Kalitas both for lifegain to help with Anguished Unmaking and such, but much of the removal suite is exile.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

BW Midrange doesn't seem to have made a big impact in standard yet, could that change? I don't think there'a anything badly wrong with it in the meta, which has been varied, so maybe it's just a matter of time?

Do you guys think it would be better to focus on removal or fielding creatures? So far I've played creature decks, I've liked having Ayli and Avacyn together and being able to flip the latter. I like Kalitas both for lifegain to help with Anguished Unmaking and such, but much of the removal suite is exile.

The problem is the g/b deck is just a better version of the deck and wins head to head with b/w control.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Do you mean Finkle's Seasons Past or LSV's Aristocrats? I feel like a couple of removal spells will cripple Seasons Past, and that Kalitas is a major hurdle for Aristocrats.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Do you mean Finkle's Seasons Past or LSV's Aristocrats? I feel like a couple of removal spells will cripple Seasons Past, and that Kalitas is a major hurdle for Aristocrats.

A couple of removal spells do not cripple seasons past.

The seasons past deck is a challenging deck to play and that is the biggest hurdle. Its real weakness is decks with lots of counter spells and it not drawing enough duress. Outside of that, it has more card advantage than b/w with better hate cards for more matchups than b/w. Both decks worst matchup is bant, but I feel that b/g has better other matchups than b/w.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
The only removal spell that has any effect on seasons past is declaration in stone. Even then, if you think your opponent has it you just don't cast your creatures into it until you can either duress them, or play nissa and flip her in the same turn. Getting transgressed a bunch or having both copies of seasons past duressed/countered is about the only way to stop the deck from recurring everything and out-valueing the opponent.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

NofrikinfuN posted:

Here's a durdley Pauper deck I've been tinkering with that can produce infinite damage and/or infinite 3/3 golems. It's also extremely budget friendly.

//Lands
2 Evolving Wilds
11 Island
2 Mortuary Mire
7 Mountain

//Spells
4 Anticipate
3 Banishing Knack
4 Bone Saw
3 Golem Foundry
4 Impact Tremors
4 Retraction Helix

//Creatures
4 Battered Golem
4 Mirran Spy
4 Nettle Drone
4 Ornithopter

Display deck statistics

This deck is constructed around an infinite loop with multiple paths. All paths require 1x copy of Banishing Knack/Retraction Helix, 1x Ornithopter/Bone Saw, 1x Nettle Drone/Mirran Spy/Battered Golem (To untap the Retraction Helix target) and 1x Nettle Drone/Impact Tremors/Golem foundry (To use the loop to produce infinite damage or tokens).

As an example, assume you have in play 1x Battered Golem, 1x Impact Tremors and you have 1x Retraction Helix and 1x Ornithopter in your hand. You cast the Ornithopter, dealing 1 damage via Impact Tremors. You then cast Retraction Helix on the Battered Golem, tap him targeting Ornithopter, then re-cast Ornithopter, which untaps Battered Golem and triggers Impact Tremors again. Rinse and repeat as necessary.

It's a pretty fragile combo and will likely fall apart in the face of focused hand disruption or creature removal. That being said, the multiple paths do allow flexibility in completing the combo. A couple copies of Mortuary Mire are included to retrieve a combo piece, if necessary.

Some paths, unfortunately, do not work. For example, looping Bone Saws will not trigger Impact Tremors. They will, however, trigger Nettle Drone and/or Golem Foundry. Just make certain you don't try to go infinite without an outlet.

Enjoy!

You might want to sneak in a couple of copies of Dispel or Apostle's Blessing (to stop removal of your Retraction Helix guy), and maybe replace the Bone Saws with Shield Spheres or Phyrexian Walkers (so that you don't have the looping Bone Saw issue you mentioned above). Also, if you were willing to spend a little more, I'd run better library manipulation than Anticipate. I'd maybe build it like this:

Note -- the sideboard is only 13 cards, and is completely un-tuned. I just threw in what might be decent (as in, I run similar in Izzet Blitz), but with no consideration for the meta.

//Lands
2 Mortuary Mire
4 Izzet Guildgate
4 Swiftwater Cliffs
8 Island
6 Mountain

//Spells
2 Dispel
4 Ponder
4 Preordain
3 Banishing Knack
4 Impact Tremors
4 Retraction Helix

//Creatures
4 Battered Golem
1 Mirran Spy
4 Nettle Drone
4 Ornithopter
4 Phyrexian Walker

//Sideboard
3 Hydroblast
3 Pyroblast
2 Dispel
2 Apostle's Blessing
3 Golem Foundry

Display deck statistics

An even sillier build might run 4 Izzet Signets, 4 Lotus Petal and/or 4 Sulphur Vents, to enable you to go off turn three. Though I'll leave that particular brew up to you.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Sickening posted:

A couple of removal spells do not cripple seasons past.

The seasons past deck is a challenging deck to play and that is the biggest hurdle. Its real weakness is decks with lots of counter spells and it not drawing enough duress. Outside of that, it has more card advantage than b/w with better hate cards for more matchups than b/w. Both decks worst matchup is bant, but I feel that b/g has better other matchups than b/w.

Anguished Unmaking also works, and I'm probably playing 4 Declarations in the 75. Or destroy effects with Kalitas out. I also think my own disruption (probably 3 Duress and 2 Transgress the Mind, and also considering Pick the Brain if I can support Delirium) will help.

I'll post a list later, I won a small event with it yesterday.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Death of Rats posted:

You might want to sneak in a couple of copies of Dispel or Apostle's Blessing (to stop removal of your Retraction Helix guy), and maybe replace the Bone Saws with Shield Spheres or Phyrexian Walkers (so that you don't have the looping Bone Saw issue you mentioned above). Also, if you were willing to spend a little more, I'd run better library manipulation than Anticipate. I'd maybe build it like this:

Note -- the sideboard is only 13 cards, and is completely un-tuned. I just threw in what might be decent (as in, I run similar in Izzet Blitz), but with no consideration for the meta.

//Lands
2 Mortuary Mire
4 Izzet Guildgate
4 Swiftwater Cliffs
8 Island
6 Mountain

//Spells
2 Dispel
4 Ponder
4 Preordain
3 Banishing Knack
4 Impact Tremors
4 Retraction Helix

//Creatures
4 Battered Golem
1 Mirran Spy
4 Nettle Drone
4 Ornithopter
4 Phyrexian Walker

//Sideboard
3 Hydroblast
3 Pyroblast
2 Dispel
2 Apostle's Blessing
3 Golem Foundry

Display deck statistics

An even sillier build might run 4 Izzet Signets, 4 Lotus Petal and/or 4 Sulphur Vents, to enable you to go off turn three. Though I'll leave that particular brew up to you.

I had actually forgotten about Phyrexian Walkers, since I mostly play modern or standard online. The modern version of the deck used Memnites, I hadn't considered that Pauper can pull from Legacy commons as well. As for the Ponder, Preordain and Dispel, well, I'm just not very good at picking library manipulation or counterspells. The Dispel especially is a good idea, since the combo is so fragile once they see what's going on.

I was also considering a different version in modern that used Rooftop Storm and Sedraxis Alchemist with Impact Tremors. Really, there's no reason they couldn't slide into this same framework somewhere as an alternate finisher, though it would dilute the focus of the rest of the deck.

Thanks for the input!

EDIT: Weird, someone clued me in to MTGGoldfish the other day and I just discovered a deck very similar to this one named Eldrazi Poultice by Jake Stiles. His win condition seems to be an Elusive Spellfist, Golem Foundry or Nettle Drone though. He also opted for non-creature artifacts. (I'm kinda sad I didn't think of the Spellfist, I love that guy!)

NofrikinfuN fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Apr 30, 2016

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Anguished Unmaking also works, and I'm probably playing 4 Declarations in the 75. Or destroy effects with Kalitas out. I also think my own disruption (probably 3 Duress and 2 Transgress the Mind, and also considering Pick the Brain if I can support Delirium) will help.

I'll post a list later, I won a small event with it yesterday.

Pick the Brain is definitely worth it - you might need to make a nod to card types but generally it's fairly easy to get to. I did average today but managed to get past a Seasons Past deck in G2 of that match by Picking away first their Dark Petitions then the Seasons Past.

6-7 discard might be too much for the sideboard? Transgress should grab most of what you're really worried about.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Here's a standard deck I've been tinkering with:

Deck: Grounded

//Lands
12 Forest
14 Mountain

//Spells
3 Crawling Sensation
4 Fiery Temper
4 Lightning Axe
4 Molten Vortex
4 Nissa's Pilgrimage
4 Pulse of Murasa
4 Tormenting Voice

//Creatures
4 Groundskeeper
3 Wild-Field Scarecrow

Display deck statistics

This deck focuses on Molten Vortex as its primary source of damage and threat removal. Lightning Axe and Fiery Temper are included to supplement, while Groundskeeper, Wild-Field Scarecrow, Tormenting Voice, Nissa's Pilgrimage and Pulse of Murasa are included to reload on lands.

Crawling Sensation is included mainly to produce chump blockers, but can be used as an alternate win condition in a pinch. It can generate insect tokens either using it's upkeep ability, or just while activating Molten Vortex. (Activating on your opponents turn will net a token even if you produced one on your turn.)

For best results, I'd recommend a mulligan if Molten Vortex isn't in your opening hand. While Tormenting Voice provides some drawing, it just doesn't guarantee a Molten Vortex. Most of the other spells are tuned more to putting lands in your hand, so they won't be much help without Molten Vortex either. I'd also recommend against playing the Groundskeeper until you are ready to pull a couple lands the turn you play him, as he will likely be targeted quickly.

This deck is very much a budget deck, but I've managed some pretty good games with it. Turns out having ~20 Shocks in your deck can be pretty handy!

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
If you want to go just a little bit non-budget two copies of Pyromancer's Goggles would probably supercharge things. Drawing 4 cards can almost never be bad.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

TheDemon posted:

If you want to go just a little bit non-budget two copies of Pyromancer's Goggles would probably supercharge things. Drawing 4 cards can almost never be bad.

I wouldn't mind giving this a try, but the way things have gone on the best games, I'm typically chucking lands before I get to five mana. I'm afraid even drawing it I'd end up putting it off to kill off threats. I do like the idea of the occasional double Fiery Temper though.

So far, I've had some pretty decent matchups against White Weenie and Bant Company decks, though I've only been playing in the MTGO Just For Fun lobby, so who knows how serious the competition was. I think aggressive Weenie strategies are where this deck works best, because as long as you have Molten Vortex out, you're shocking everything once it hits the battlefield. (Wrecking a Collected Company cast immediately feels good, man!) Either way, I've had some fun with it considering it's like ~8 bucks in paper, ~2 online.

I was considering some stuff to possibly sideboard and I think Burn From Within might be a good idea to counter indestructible effects. I also considered adding in Devour in Flames for the land return effect/ability to target planeswalkers, but I'm afraid I would get it when i needed instant-speed removal. Stoic Builder and Pilgrim's Eye would make good alternatives to Wild-Field Scarecrow, especially against an opponent with Reflector Mage.

EDIT: Ran up against a ramp deck that hardcast Ulamog, wasn't really anything I could do. What would work against something like Ulamog in Red/Green?

EDIT 2: I'd also suggest not using the Crawling Sensation upkeep ability. More often than not, it seems like it nets 2 copies of Molten Vortex or something you can't pull back out with Pulse of Murasa or Groundskeeper. I'd stick to triggering it using Molten Vortex or discarding a land with Tormenting Voice/Lightning Axe.

NofrikinfuN fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 7, 2016

unao
Dec 12, 2013
I made a dumb UR brain madness deck. And after seeing a jeskai madness deck, i just knew what to do. i made the list recently and have only like half the cards, so i dont really know what works and what doesn't.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/brein/

This is standard, unlikely to see something more than fnm and kind of budget, as i opened one of each planeswalker, so it's unlikely i'll add jace or the like. I'm not even sure about the second nahiri after the price spike i heard about.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I signed up for Tapped Out. Here's a GW Humans deck I've just finished putting together with what I already own.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/08-05-16-gw-humans/:

quote:

Creature (30)
4x Thraben Inspector
3x Town Gossipmonger
3x Kytheon, Hero of Akros
2x Hanweir Militia Captain
2x Knight of the White Orchid
2x Consul's Lieutenant
3x Thalia's Lieutenant
4x Duskwatch Recruiter
4x Tireless Tracker
2x Sigarda, Heron's Grace
1x Archangel Avacyn

Sorcery (4)
4x Declaration in Stone

Enchantment (3)
3x Always Watching

Land (23)
10x Plains
5x Forest
2x Canopy Vista
4x Fortified Village
2x Westvale Abbey

I like Tireless Tracker and Duskwatch Recruiter, and only owning one Avacyn keeps me from making the standard Mono White Humans deck. I think it'll be fun for kitchen tables, but not so terrible that I can't break it out and try to win with it. Also didn't do any mana math, that's just what looked okay sitting here. Only thing I have in the sideboard in my head is Clip Wings, if I bother putting one together.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 9, 2016

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I mean to play BW at GP Manchester. I've looked at Paul Cheon's previously but I really like Seth Manfield's GP NY winnter:

4 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
3 Ob Nixilis Reignited
2 Sorin, Grim Nemesis
4 Languish
4 Read the Bones
1 Planar Outburst
2 Transgress the Mind
2 Ruinous Path
3 Anguished Unmaking
2 Ultimate Price
3 Grasp of Darkness
2 Hallowed Moonlight
3 Secure the Wastes
3 Westvale Abbey
4 Caves of Koilos
4 Forsaken Sanctuary
4 Shambling Vent
1 Blighted Fen
6 Swamp
3 Plains

Sideboard
1 Ultimate Price
1 Hallowed Moonlight
2 Transgress the Mind
3 Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
1 Bearer of Silence
2 Dead Weight
3 Duress
1 Eldrazi Displacer
1 Thought-Knot Seer

More and more I think at least 2 Kalitas should be maindeck, but I can see how game 1 can get them to side out removal. I'm just not sure about Ultimate Price in the main since there are games where it is stone dead. Also not sure what the one Bearer of Silence is for, or the Displacer really. They are both good in themselves, I just don't think they justify spots in the sideboard as one-ofs.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

I mean to play BW at GP Manchester. I've looked at Paul Cheon's previously but I really like Seth Manfield's GP NY winnter:

4 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
3 Ob Nixilis Reignited
2 Sorin, Grim Nemesis
4 Languish
4 Read the Bones
1 Planar Outburst
2 Transgress the Mind
2 Ruinous Path
3 Anguished Unmaking
2 Ultimate Price
3 Grasp of Darkness
2 Hallowed Moonlight
3 Secure the Wastes
3 Westvale Abbey
4 Caves of Koilos
4 Forsaken Sanctuary
4 Shambling Vent
1 Blighted Fen
6 Swamp
3 Plains

Sideboard
1 Ultimate Price
1 Hallowed Moonlight
2 Transgress the Mind
3 Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
1 Bearer of Silence
2 Dead Weight
3 Duress
1 Eldrazi Displacer
1 Thought-Knot Seer

More and more I think at least 2 Kalitas should be maindeck, but I can see how game 1 can get them to side out removal. I'm just not sure about Ultimate Price in the main since there are games where it is stone dead. Also not sure what the one Bearer of Silence is for, or the Displacer really. They are both good in themselves, I just don't think they justify spots in the sideboard as one-ofs.

Displacer can be very useful against flip cards.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

TwistedNails posted:

Displacer can be very useful against flip cards.

Yeah I know, but which ones am I concerned about? Decks playing Abbey/Ormendahl can remove it, Avacyn rarely flips in the first place and using it on her has a notable drawback. Plus I already have loads of removal.

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Yeah I know, but which ones am I concerned about? Decks playing Abbey/Ormendahl can remove it, Avacyn rarely flips in the first place and using it on her has a notable drawback. Plus I already have loads of removal.

It also blanks Nantuko Husk, blanks blockers against decks that only run out one threat at a time, and is straight murder against tokens. It's worth at least a single slot in the sideboard.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

keeblerdrow posted:

It also blanks Nantuko Husk, blanks blockers against decks that only run out one threat at a time, and is straight murder against tokens. It's worth at least a single slot in the sideboard.
I run 2 in my SB in BW Control, just because it is so good against a lot of decks. It basically locks down ramp since most of their big stuff has on cast triggers rather than ETB effects and having a guy that says "2♦: hold still until I can kill you" is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I might go to two, or maybe run a Dark Petition to be +1 whatever sideboard card I need.

• Locked thread