Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
So I was messing around with Soulfire Grandmaster because it's a cool card and being a complete casual would this be decent for like a budget Boros Burn option in Modern?

Deck: Grandmaster Smash

//Main
4 Monastery Mentor
4 Soulfire Grand Master
4 Monastery Swiftspear

4 Boros Charm
4 Path to Exile
4 Rift Bolt
4 Searing Blaze
4 Lava Spike
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Lightning Helix

7 Mountain
4 Battlefield Forge
7 Plains
2 Clifftop Retreat

Display deck statistics

e: I was thinking maybe some Apostle's Blessing instead of the Rift Bolts? Or split them 2/2? Or even go down to 18/19 lands/3 Mentors?

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

T-Bone posted:

e: I was thinking maybe some Apostle's Blessing instead of the Rift Bolts? Or split them 2/2? Or even go down to 18/19 lands/3 Mentors?
If you're gonna use Apostle's Blessing, why not just Brave the Elements? I can't imagine instant-speed white mana is at such a premium in your deck that it's better than saving that 2 life and not-targeting all your white creatures?

First thought: I see your deck, I'm immediately gonna beeline to kill Soulfire as soon as I can, since it's definitely a "I built my deck around this card" sort of card. If you can afford them, I seriously might consider a couple Lightning Greaves to keep your grandmasters from getting exploded? Shroud wouldn't be an issue if you use BtE over Apostle.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
That makes sense, thanks! Would Abbot of Keral Keep be worth considering too? It seems like it might have some synergy? Or maybe I'm just obsessed with dumb monks.

Actually I feel like with all the lifegain I could almost make this grindy (and less budget) and splash black for like thoughtseize/inquisition (or maybe even Bob?) and kind of just keep on living and eventually finish with the mentors vintage style but that's probably way too optimistic.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Sep 1, 2016

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Hey, just getting started in the game and looking for some deckbuilding advice. I bought a couple intro packs and some boosters, took them apart, tried my hand at building something. I'm playing in Standard format and right now I'm just trying to get something I can play at FNM. Any advice is appreciated since I don't really know what I'm doing and what I've built probably isn't great.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/redblue-trial-deck

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

BrendianaJones posted:

Hey, just getting started in the game and looking for some deckbuilding advice. I bought a couple intro packs and some boosters, took them apart, tried my hand at building something. I'm playing in Standard format and right now I'm just trying to get something I can play at FNM. Any advice is appreciated since I don't really know what I'm doing and what I've built probably isn't great.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/redblue-trial-deck

In the future you will be better off buying singles instead of intro packs, use a site like tcgplayer.com to get your singles. You can get exactly what you want and you'll save loads of money not buying booster packs, also fully avoid intro packs in the future.

For deck building tips I'd suggest looking at the higher rated standard decks on tappedout and deckstats, also go to a local game shop and talk to players about what they are playing at FNM. Most of the people you meet will be very happy to help a new player get into the game. If you want to get more experience playing you should download the Magic Duels game on PC/XBOX/iOS and play through that, if you are comfortable with the rules already and want something harder you could dip into magic the gathering online, buy some budget decks and play a lot of games there in the just for fun queue. If you don't want to spend money on digital then try out Xmage to play some games on, it isn't the best program but it is fun for trying decks before you own them.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

OKAY so I know we all love nascar here in kaladesh. So I propose to you, the first list of nascar.dec deck may or may not actually be more than casual trash

Mono U colorless NASCAR
Creature
Elder Deep Fiend 4
Eldrazi Skyspawner 4
Wharf Infiltrator 4
Lupine Prototype 4
Pilgrim Eye 2

RACEWHEELS
Smuggler's Copter 4
Skysovereign 4
Fleetwheel cruiser 3

Artifacts
Glassblower's puzzleknot 3

Spells
Spacial distortion 3

Land
Aether hub 4
Crumbling vestige 4
inventors fair 4
Blighted Cataract 3
Island 10

Maybeboard:
Ceremonious rejection
Aether tradewinds
Anticipate

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
If anyone else would like to take over as OP for this thread when Kaladesh comes out, let me know. I don't think I'm going to be able to swing doing the update.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

So here's what I'm thinking at this point for Kaladesh

Creatures
4 Oviya Pashiri, Sage Lifecrafter
4 Syndicate Trafficker
4 Srapheap Scrounger
4 Tireless Tracker
3 Pilgram's Eye
2 Pia Nalaar
2 Verdurous Gearhulk

Non-Creature Spells
4 Animation Module
3 Transgress the Mind
3 Grasp of Darkness
2 Ruinous Path
2 Chandra, Torch of Defiance

23 Lands (Not completely sure how these will look yet, probably some number of Westvale Abbey)

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
If you're trying to get cute with syndicate trafficker, I think ongoing investigation would be the most straightforward way to do it.

uninverted fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Sep 16, 2016

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Mef989 posted:

Creatures
4 Syndicate Trafficker
4 Srapheap Scrounger
4 Tireless Tracker
3 Pilgram's Eye
2 Pia Nalaar
2 Verdurous Gearhulk

Non-Creature Spells
4 Animation Module
3 Transgress the Mind
3 Grasp of Darkness
2 Ruinous Path

23 Lands (Not completely sure how these will look yet, probably some number of Westvale Abbey)

You're playing Tireless Tracker without the new Nissa?

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Mef989 posted:

Creatures
4 Syndicate Trafficker
4 Srapheap Scrounger
4 Tireless Tracker
3 Pilgram's Eye
2 Pia Nalaar
2 Verdurous Gearhulk

Non-Creature Spells
4 Animation Module
3 Transgress the Mind
3 Grasp of Darkness
2 Ruinous Path

I'm going with Abzan Lifegain

Abzan Life Gain

Creatures (21)

3 Cataclysmic Gearhulk
4 Filigree Familiar
1 Felidar Sovereign
3 Jaddi Offshoot
1 Lone Rider
3 Primal Druid
4 Sylvan Advocate
1 Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim
1 Emrakul, the Promised End

Planeswalkers (4)

3 Nissa, Vital Force
1 Sorin, Grim Nemesis

Lands (23)

4 Forest
3 Plains
1 Swamp
1 Blighted Woodland
4 Canopy Vista
1 Evolving Wilds
1 Fortified Village
4 Hissing Quagmire
4 Shambling Vent

Spells (12)

1 Aetherflux Reservoir
1 Retreat to Kazandu
3 Blessed Alliance
3 Pulse of Murasa
4 Traverse the Ulvenwald

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

JOHN CENA posted:

You're playing Tireless Tracker without the new Nissa?

I was looking at her, I'll try to find room. I think I'm going to drop the red and go BUG for ongoing investigation like was recommended so I'll have room for her.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Are there any decent budget, sub $50, eldrazi decks that use SOI/EMN cards? I mainly like how eldrazi and spirits look but spirits tribal is a little expensive.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

no

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Not for FNM, just casual play

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Injuryprone posted:

Not for FNM, just casual play

He's right, the answer is basically no. Can't you build a budget version of spirits for $50 or less? A playset of spell queller should he about $20, plus $6 for a set of rattlechains, selfless spirits are about $3 each, mausoleum wanderer is maybe a buck each. Throw in some stuff like nebalgast Herald and spectral Shepard, and whatever other filler seems good and you can have a standard legal casual spirits deck. If it doesn't have to be standard legal, you get to add drogskol captain too.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Injuryprone posted:

Are there any decent budget, sub $50, eldrazi decks that use SOI/EMN cards? I mainly like how eldrazi and spirits look but spirits tribal is a little expensive.

Mono-blue eldrazi would be around $70, and some cards rotate out soon, but you could figure out something to fit those slots. Then again if it's for casual games with friends it doesn't really matter what rotates out. I'm not sure how good that deck is anymore either, it was a blast earlier this year to play when I tried it out.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

TwistedNails posted:

Mono-blue eldrazi would be around $70, and some cards rotate out soon, but you could figure out something to fit those slots. Then again if it's for casual games with friends it doesn't really matter what rotates out. I'm not sure how good that deck is anymore either, it was a blast earlier this year to play when I tried it out.

Do you happen to have a link? That sounds right up my alley.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Injuryprone posted:

Do you happen to have a link? That sounds right up my alley.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-98-48-tix-standard-post-rotation-mono-blue-eldrazi

I'd make a few changes to it and remove the cards that rotated out to keep it standard. I run a similar blue/colorless eldrazi deck and use 4 corrupted crossroads, and play matter reshapers and elder deep fiends, I think I took out blinding drones to make room and whirler rogues because I didn't own any of them. Whirler rogues are good though but they rotate really soon.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
I've been playing the Mono-U Rise from the Tides combo in standard during SOI and EMN, and apart from Mage-Ring Network and Jace's Sanctum the main-board survives rotation pretty well. Unfortunately, these are pivotal a lot of the time.

I was thinking of building a blue combo-control deck around Metallurgic Summons and Brain in the Jar (leaving the top end as-is from the last deck since it's funny to me). Maybe going up to four Brains to cover up the loss of Mage-Ring Network.
I'm fully aware of the non-bo between Engulf the Shore and Metallurgic Summons, but it's such a good card in a lot of match-ups that I'll cope. Sideboard TBA.

It's still (at heart) the combo deck it started out as (6 counters on Brain for Rise, or 12 mana for Part/Rise), but instead of the Scry/cost reduction from Jace's Sanctum I'm going for the free creatures/incidental draw N package from Metallurgic Summons. And since it loses some speed, I think more main-board counters will be useful (I used to run 2 Negates pre-board, and now I'm packing 6), especially if they get returned by Metallurgic Summons at any point.

4 Brain in the Jar
2 Rise from the Tides
4 Part the Waterveil

2 Metallurgic Summons
4 Void Shatter
2 Negate

4 Engulf the Shore
3 Grip of the Roil
2 Compelling Deterrence

4 Anticipate
3 Glimmer of Genius
3 Pieces of the Puzzle
2 Pore over Pages

2 Blighted Cateract
20 Islands

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be super keen to hear them.

Death of Rats fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Sep 19, 2016

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Death of Rats posted:

I've been playing the Mono-U Rise from the Tides combo in standard during SOI and EMN, and apart from Mage-Ring Network and Jace's Sanctum the main-board survives rotation pretty well. Unfortunately, these are pivotal a lot of the time.

I was thinking of building a blue combo-control deck around Metallurgic Summons and Brain in the Jar (leaving the top end as-is from the last deck since it's funny to me). Maybe going up to four Brains to cover up the loss of Mage-Ring Network.
I'm fully aware of the non-bo between Engulf the Shore and Metallurgic Summons, but it's such a good card in a lot of match-ups that I'll cope. Sideboard TBA.

It's still (at heart) the combo deck it started out as (6 counters on Brain for Rise, or 12 mana for Part/Rise), but instead of the Scry/cost reduction from Jace's Sanctum I'm going for the free creatures/incidental draw N package from Metallurgic Summons. And since it loses some speed, I think more main-board counters will be useful (I used to run 2 Negates pre-board, and now I'm packing 6), especially if they get returned by Metallurgic Summons at any point.

4 Brain in the Jar
2 Rise from the Tides
4 Part the Waterveil

2 Metallurgic Summons
4 Void Shatter
2 Negate

4 Engulf the Shore
3 Grip of the Roil
2 Compelling Deterrence

4 Anticipate
3 Glimmer of Genius
3 Pieces of the Puzzle
2 Pore over Pages

2 Blighted Cateract
20 Islands

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be super keen to hear them.

Prism Ring is also leaving which is a big boon to thjs deck as well. I hate Brain in the Jar, it just feels like a waste of a slot. Especially since this block is going to have artifact hate.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I wanted to come up with a dumb modern deck that tries to abuse Ghirapur Orrery, so I did:

4 Ghirapur orrery
4 Simian Spirit Guide
4 Desperate Ritual
4 Pyretic Ritual
3 Seismic Assault
3 Stormbind
4 Blood Moon
4 Chalice of the Void
2 Bonfire of the Damned
2 Anger of the Gods
2 Ensnaring Bridge

4 Gemstone Caverns
4 Wooded Foothills
4 Stomping Grounds
1 Forest
11 Mountain

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling
I need some help with the sideboard for my current Tokens deck. Is Kataki and 2 Stony Silence to much artifact hate? If I were to put another $100 into it what should I look into picking up for it aside from lands? Is Runechanter's Pike viable as a sword replacement and a good idea?

My worst matchup seems to be Merfolk in my meta. Elspeth has always been a deciding factor for getting a win in those matchups. I have yet to try the new Sorin but I like LoI for the quick emblem if needbe.

Enchantment (10)
4x Bitterblossom
2x Honor of the Pure
4x Intangible Virtue

Instant (10)
2x Extirpate
4x Path to Exile
2x Raise the Alarm
1x Slaughter Pact
1x Zealous Persecution

Sorcery (14)
4x Inquisition of Kozilek
4x Lingering Souls
4x Spectral Procession
2x Timely Reinforcements

Planeswalker (3)
1x Elspeth Tirel
2x Sorin, Lord of Innistrad

Sideboard (15)
1x Anguished Unmaking
1x Dismember
2x Hero of Bladehold
1x Kataki, War's Wage
4x Mirran Crusader
2x Raise the Alarm
1x Relic of Progenitus
2x Stony Silence
1x Zealous Persecution

Land (23)
4x Caves of Koilos
2x Godless Shrine
4x Isolated Chapel
5x Plains
2x Shambling Vent
1x Swamp
2x Vault of the Archangel
3x Windbrisk Heights

I used to play tokens during Scars/INN INN/RTR which was more creature based(Doomed Traveler, Blade Splicer, Hero of Blade Hold, Blood Artist etc) mixed with lingering souls, gather the townsfolk, midnight haunting and a ton of boardwipes.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Much as I love mirran crusader, 4 is a bit too many for a matchup that should already be pretty good. I wouldn't bother with any swords. Think about kor firewalker or some hedge against the aggro matchups? I haven't played my tokens deck in a long time though.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Sixfools posted:

I need some help with the sideboard for my current Tokens deck. Is Kataki and 2 Stony Silence to much artifact hate? If I were to put another $100 into it what should I look into picking up for it aside from lands? Is Runechanter's Pike viable as a sword replacement and a good idea?

My worst matchup seems to be Merfolk in my meta. Elspeth has always been a deciding factor for getting a win in those matchups. I have yet to try the new Sorin but I like LoI for the quick emblem if needbe.

Tokens should have a decent matchup vs affinity right? If so you could cut down the artifact hate a bit. An adjustment to help deal with merfolk could be to swap some plains for ghost quaters to help deal with spreading seas.

Runchanters Pike is a lot worse than Swords because the swords do like a million things and the pike does one thing.

I think some Rest In Peaces would be a good add. Who cares if they hurt lingering souls, they'll hurt your opponent a hell of a lot more in the matchups where it's good. Aside from that it depends a lot on your local meta. Kor Firewalker is good against burn, Burrenton Forge-Tender is good against sweepers. Collected Effort / Collected Brutality are the new hotness because they are really flexible and you can bring them in for a lot of different matchups.

TheLawinator posted:

Much as I love mirran crusader, 4 is a bit too many for a matchup that should already be pretty good. I wouldn't bother with any swords. Think about kor firewalker or some hedge against the aggro matchups? I haven't played my tokens deck in a long time though.

Yea I don't get what the crusaders are supposed to do. You're already favored against B/G/X midrange because removal and liliana are so ineffective.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Also Solemn Visitor is way better than Lord of Innistrad. Card is bananas and more powerful in tokens in every instance I've seen. Also not sure that Knight-Errant shouldn't be another Gideon. Single creatures pumps like swords and Elspeth +1 seem worse than going super wide in tokens.

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling
Thanks for the input. The crusaders were for goyfs and anything else big mean and green initially but I have been looking for something else to fill the sideboard out better. It's just plain old Elspeth Tirel not Knight-Errant. I do see what you are saying with SSV since I do find Vault of Archangel to be slow at times.

I'm probably going to add in the new B/W fastlands from Kaladesh for sure.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Main-deck extirpate is completely insane. Also I think you want some number of thoughtseize instead of all inquisitions.

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling
Extirpate works, yeah it's a blind gamble but it gets poo poo out of the way if you get something juicy with IoK and can't be answered early on. It also fucks up that rear end in a top hat who keeps playing storm every week. Thoughtseize is best of course over IoK but with with BB, Shocks and Pains the life loss adds up quick. If I were to use it I'd swap out the extirpates.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Sixfools posted:

Extirpate works, yeah it's a blind gamble but it gets poo poo out of the way if you get something juicy with IoK and can't be answered early on. It also fucks up that rear end in a top hat who keeps playing storm every week. Thoughtseize is best of course over IoK but with with BB, Shocks and Pains the life loss adds up quick. If I were to use it I'd swap out the extirpates.

Just play Surgical Extraction instead, the decks that actually care about that sort of effect don't run counterspells. Also don't run either of them in your maindeck.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I was wondering what y'all think about the following list; it plays out like Faeries, except it gets to play less bad/incredibly slow cards. The sideboard is pretty much just ripped from Jeskai Nahiri and likely needs a ton of work. Anyway, here ya go:

Deck: Jeskai Flash

//Removal
4 Lightning Bolt
2 Lightning Helix
4 Path to Exile

//Counter Spells
2 Cryptic Command
3 Mana Leak
4 Spell Queller
2 Spell Snare
4 Spellstutter Sprite

//Value Creatures
2 Restoration Angel
4 Snapcaster Mage
2 Vendilion Clique

//Cantrips
4 Serum Visions

//Lands
2 Arid Mesa
2 Faerie Conclave
4 Flooded Strand
2 Ghost Quarter
2 Hallowed Fountain
2 Island
1 Mountain
1 Plains
1 Sacred Foundry
4 Scalding Tarn
2 Steam Vents

//Sideboard
1 Electrolyze
1 Engineered Explosives
1 Izzet Staticaster
4 Leyline of the Void
2 Negate
1 Sphinx's Revelation
3 Supreme Verdict
2 Timely Reinforcements

Display deck statistics

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
A lot of decks that run spellstutter sprite also use mutavault, that might be worth considering.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I'd play relics over leylines if you're really that worried about dredge

also the Sphinx's Rev seems super bad in your 23 land temp deck. I'd play geist to go faster with the control decks, as opposed to trying to play their game

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
New and improved JUNK.

Thoughts:

The mana base is so much better with fast lands the deck feels 1000x less clunky. In a world of aggro, you need your first 3 lands to come in untapped. I am running only 6 fetches in this list and I am sure pros will include more, but I am happy with the limited fetches atm.

In testing, the deck can both interact early or be aggressive early. I don't know how much I love the nobles yet, as I feel like I want to drop them and go to 23 lands, but I feel like I need to give them more time.

Deck: Junk

//Lands
3 Blooming Marsh
3 Concealed Courtyard
1 Forest
1 Gavony Township
1 Godless Shrine
1 Overgrown Tomb
1 Plains
2 Shambling Vent
2 Swamp
1 Temple Garden
4 Verdant Catacombs
2 Windswept Heath

//Spells
3 Abrupt Decay
2 Collective Brutality
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
3 Liliana of the Veil
4 Lingering Souls
1 Murderous Cut
1 Nihil Spellbomb
4 Path to Exile
3 Thoughtseize

//Creatures
1 Anafenza, the Foremost
3 Grim Flayer
3 Noble Hierarch
3 Scavenging Ooze
4 Tarmogoyf

//Sideboard
1 Blessed Alliance
2 Damnation
3 Fulminator Mage
3 Leyline of Sanctity
3 Leyline of the Void
3 Stony Silence

Display deck statistics

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Sickening posted:

New and improved JUNK.

Thoughts:

The mana base is so much better with fast lands the deck feels 1000x less clunky. In a world of aggro, you need your first 3 lands to come in untapped. I am running only 6 fetches in this list and I am sure pros will include more, but I am happy with the limited fetches atm.

In testing, the deck can both interact early or be aggressive early. I don't know how much I love the nobles yet, as I feel like I want to drop them and go to 23 lands, but I feel like I need to give them more time.

Deck: Junk

//Lands
3 Blooming Marsh
3 Concealed Courtyard
1 Forest
1 Gavony Township
1 Godless Shrine
1 Overgrown Tomb
1 Plains
2 Shambling Vent
2 Swamp
1 Temple Garden
4 Verdant Catacombs
2 Windswept Heath

//Spells
3 Abrupt Decay
2 Collective Brutality
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
3 Liliana of the Veil
4 Lingering Souls
1 Murderous Cut
1 Nihil Spellbomb
4 Path to Exile
3 Thoughtseize

//Creatures
1 Anafenza, the Foremost
3 Grim Flayer
3 Noble Hierarch
3 Scavenging Ooze
4 Tarmogoyf

//Sideboard
1 Blessed Alliance
2 Damnation
3 Fulminator Mage
3 Leyline of Sanctity
3 Leyline of the Void
3 Stony Silence

Display deck statistics

Seems like the BG fastland is better here than the BW one since you don't need white until turn 3, while you have a bunch of good turn 1 plays for B or G (one of which can even give you W if needed). I've also noticed Anafenza popping up in a lot of Junk lists lately. Good enough on her own, or a response to Dredge being a thing again?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Playing with goyfs and flayers I kinda like 1 pulse over the 1 murderous cut. Pulse gives a few more outs that cut doesn't, I've always liked having one.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Seems like the BG fastland is better here than the BW one since you don't need white until turn 3, while you have a bunch of good turn 1 plays for B or G (one of which can even give you W if needed). I've also noticed Anafenza popping up in a lot of Junk lists lately. Good enough on her own, or a response to Dredge being a thing again?

The b/w is basically there for path. You rarely need path on turn 1 and the white part of the land is rarely needed but the black part is. Turn 2 often comes around and you need to fire up your second discard spell while holding up a path(zoo mostly, sometimes infect). I could see the bg/bw land split being more 3/2 later but again, I am still getting a feel for how the deck plays.

Anafenza is a great 1 of. She is a legend, so one of is the most optimal but yes, she is a answer to dredge while also having some synergy with spirit tokens and two cmc beaters. She is a great clock against slower decks. She also allows you be aggressive with your lands as 3 being your top end instead of the 4 cmc options.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Playing with goyfs and flayers I kinda like 1 pulse over the 1 murderous cut. Pulse gives a few more outs that cut doesn't, I've always liked having one.

Cut fits in better against aggro than pulse. I already feel my midrange matchup is really great and the catch all of pulse for planeswalkers and such isn't as necessary. I feel like the only matchup that sees any noticable improvement with pulse is maybe tron.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Sep 23, 2016

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Nahiri decks too. I'd see 3 decay, 4 path, and a ton of 2 drops backed up by discard as adequate against super aggro decks myself, I just don't like the idea of shrinking my goyfs, flayers, and Ooze food for the one removal spell.

I'm also fond of a couple rhinos and a Sorin SV, but the beauty of these junk decks is their flexibility. Rarely a wrong way to build them. I'm going to test new Liliana a bit too, she seems nuts currently with all the aggro decks, I lost to her ultimate at the last pptq I went to.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Nahiri decks too. I'd see 3 decay, 4 path, and a ton of 2 drops backed up by discard as adequate against super aggro decks myself, I just don't like the idea of shrinking my goyfs, flayers, and Ooze food for the one removal spell.

I'm also fond of a couple rhinos and a Sorin SV, but the beauty of these junk decks is their flexibility. Rarely a wrong way to build them. I'm going to test new Liliana a bit too, she seems nuts currently with all the aggro decks, I lost to her ultimate at the last pptq I went to.

I have been testing her a lot. I have dropped her to fit in 1 more removal. I really like new lily a lot but i feel the deck is just a little slow with her in the deck.

Sorin and rhino are reasons to play junk. I don't have them in this build because my land count is 22. Going a little more aggressive and leaving my late game plays up to lingering souls and manlands.

I feel like this deck figures out ways to out value nahiri a lot more efficiently than jund. Nahiri is not a giant pain in the rear end anymore with junk and right now I don't want to slot in to improve that matchup.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

I'd play relics over leylines if you're really that worried about dredge

also the Sphinx's Rev seems super bad in your 23 land temp deck. I'd play geist to go faster with the control decks, as opposed to trying to play their game

Geist just gets blocked by like a Snapcaster, I'd rather a Teferi or something. Also, Sphinx's is kinda fine in a 23 land deck. If the game drags on long enough you usually find plenty of lands, and if you don't you've drawn a ton of spells so you're probably favored anyway.

uninverted posted:

A lot of decks that run spellstutter sprite also use mutavault, that might be worth considering.

In my opinion, you can't really play both Mutavault and Cryptic Command. I also really like that Conclave has evasion.

• Locked thread