Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Sampatrick posted:

Geist just gets blocked by like a Snapcaster, I'd rather a Teferi or something. Also, Sphinx's is kinda fine in a 23 land deck. If the game drags on long enough you usually find plenty of lands, and if you don't you've drawn a ton of spells so you're probably favored anyway.

In my opinion, you can't really play both Mutavault and Cryptic Command. I also really like that Conclave has evasion.

If faeries can do it in standard you can do it in modern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Sickening posted:

If faeries can do it in standard you can do it in modern.

You're not wrong, but it requires you to take a ton of damage from your lands and I'm not sure I'm willing to do that.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I've been toying with this deck a lot and after going 2-3 last night, I decided I needed to give it a fairly massive overhaul.

Deck: Stompy Puppy

//Lands
20 Forest
3 Oran-Rief, the Vastwood

//Spells
4 Howlpack Resurgence
3 Lead the Stampede
4 Moonlight Hunt

//Creatures
4 Duskwatch Recruiter
4 Kessig Prowler
3 Lambholt Pacifist
4 Mayor of Avabruck
3 Pack Guardian
4 Wolfir Avenger
4 Young Wolf

//Sideboard
4 Natural State
4 Tormod's Crypt
4 Vines of Vastwood
3 Witchstalker

Display deck statistics

I'd love to get CoCo in there but that card is expensive as hell. Pacifist feels good in this deck because I've got a lot of ways to get it up to 4/4, but I might be wrong about that? I had Shrill Howler in that slot before, but my curve felt really back-heavy.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Just brewed up this ramp/toolbox deck for the upcoming standard. The idea is to evolve your expendable early creatures into silver bullets and late-game bombs. It can get six mana on turn four by evolving primal druid into wild wanderer, and it can make Brisela on turn five if things come together well. Bruna also has a very cute interaction with thalia's lancers; you can evolve the lancers into Bruna, cast bruna getting back the lancers, and find Gisela with the second lancer trigger. I considered demon of dark schemes for the deck, but I think the triple black in the casting cost is too prohibitive and cataclysmic gearhulk does nearly the same job.

Deck: Abzan Tinker

//Main
1 Arborback Stomper
1 Bruna, the Fading Light
4 Canopy Vista
1 Cataclysmic Gearhulk
2 Distended Mindbender
4 Eldritch Evolution
4 Evolving Wilds
4 Filigree Familiar
5 Forest
1 Gisela, the Broken Blade
1 Gonti, Lord of Luxury
2 Grapple with the Past
4 Hissing Quagmire
1 Ishkanah, Grafwidow
1 Linvala, the Preserver
1 Noxious Gearhulk
3 Plains
4 Primal Druid
2 Shambling Vent
1 Sigarda, Heron's Grace
2 Swamp
2 Thalia's Lancers
4 Traverse the Ulvenwald
2 Vessel of Nascency
3 Wild Wanderer

//Sideboard
2 Anguished Unmaking
1 Clip Wings
1 Distended Mindbender
2 Duress
2 Fragmentize
2 Gnarlwood Dryad
1 Kambal, Consul of Allocation
2 To the Slaughter
2 Transgress the Mind

Display deck statistics

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

uninverted posted:

Just brewed up this ramp/toolbox deck for the upcoming standard. The idea is to evolve your expendable early creatures into silver bullets and late-game bombs. It can get six mana on turn four by evolving primal druid into wild wanderer, and it can make Brisela on turn five if things come together well. Bruna also has a very cute interaction with thalia's lancers; you can evolve the lancers into Bruna, cast bruna getting back the lancers, and find Gisela with the second lancer trigger. I considered demon of dark schemes for the deck, but I think the triple black in the casting cost is too prohibitive and cataclysmic gearhulk does nearly the same job.

Deck: Abzan Tinker

//Main
1 Arborback Stomper
1 Bruna, the Fading Light
4 Canopy Vista
1 Cataclysmic Gearhulk
2 Distended Mindbender
4 Eldritch Evolution
4 Evolving Wilds
4 Filigree Familiar
5 Forest
1 Gisela, the Broken Blade
1 Gonti, Lord of Luxury
2 Grapple with the Past
4 Hissing Quagmire
1 Ishkanah, Grafwidow
1 Linvala, the Preserver
1 Noxious Gearhulk
3 Plains
4 Primal Druid
2 Shambling Vent
1 Sigarda, Heron's Grace
2 Swamp
2 Thalia's Lancers
4 Traverse the Ulvenwald
2 Vessel of Nascency
3 Wild Wanderer

//Sideboard
2 Anguished Unmaking
1 Clip Wings
1 Distended Mindbender
2 Duress
2 Fragmentize
2 Gnarlwood Dryad
1 Kambal, Consul of Allocation
2 To the Slaughter
2 Transgress the Mind

Display deck statistics

This deck seems vulnerable to removal, because you are putting so much value into your evolved cards, but that Thalia's Lancers into Bruna is a really cool find. Good job man.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

DangerDongs posted:

This deck seems vulnerable to removal, because you are putting so much value into your evolved cards, but that Thalia's Lancers into Bruna is a really cool find. Good job man.

Thanks for the feedback. I think it depends on what removal people end up running. If there are a lot of murders and declarations in stone running around things get rough, but the deck should hold up well against grasp of darkness and red removal since you have so many x/5s. You can also play it slower and keep a weenie creature alive to play around edicts. A lot of your creatures also give you a card worth of value on ETB.

uninverted fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Sep 26, 2016

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

DangerDongs posted:

It's too bad Evolution doesn't give you cast triggers.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Been tinkering around with a T2 RG energy deck based on Frank Karsten's build, except running only the most necessary rares/mythics to keep the cost down around $55:

Deck: Untitled Deck

//Main
3 Aether Hub
2 Arlinn Kord
3 Attune with Aether
3 Brazen Scourge
3 Bristling Hydra
3 Cinder Glade
6 Forest
4 Game Trail
4 Harnessed Lightning
4 Incendiary Flow
4 Kessig Prowler
4 Longtusk Cub
6 Mountain
3 Renegade Freighter
2 Servant of the Conduit
2 Sky Skiff
4 Voltaic Brawler

//Sideboard
3 Nature's Way

Display deck statistics

Of course if you run Hellions, Chandras, Fleetwheel, Smuggler's Copter, etc then the price more than triples. :smith:

Not sure what to sideboard though. Any recommendations?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I'm still unconvinced of running any vehicles in that deck.
I can see running lootcopter, though I'm not going to for budgetary reasons, but on T2 I wanna be dropping a Brawler or Cub, and T3, I wanna be dropping a Hellion, or one of my two drops. I'm running a couple one-drop spells/tricks in those slots, so I can use the extra mana.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

It's too bad Evolution doesn't give you cast triggers.

Oh, you're right. So much for that idea.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

mehall posted:

I'm still unconvinced of running any vehicles in that deck.
I can see running lootcopter, though I'm not going to for budgetary reasons, but on T2 I wanna be dropping a Brawler or Cub, and T3, I wanna be dropping a Hellion, or one of my two drops. I'm running a couple one-drop spells/tricks in those slots, so I can use the extra mana.

What about the vehicle that comes down as a 5/3 trample haste creature? It's basically serving its purpose as removal plus damage, and it just takes a Kessig Prowler to crew if it survives.

I'm building that deck too. T1 Prowler or Attune for land/energy, T2 Brawler or Cub, T3 the enegy burn card, T4 the vehicle or Arlinn Kord. Plus the bigger rare creatures if the game somehow isn't locked up by then.

Seems decent!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Kessig Prowler feels like the best green 1-drop printed in recent memory.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Poison Mushroom posted:

Kessig Prowler feels like the best green 1-drop printed in recent memory.

Annoyingly, since it's a flip uncommon, it's actually kind of hard to pull. I've opened more than enough EMN and only have 3.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I brewed this in a fit of madness. It seems to goldfish alright for the first few turns but without any tournaments there's no good netdecks for my brother to use for testing ATM.

It's called Boros Robots. It's a Mardu-color low-curve aggro list whose guiding principle is being upset half of the cost is in the fastlands and the Smuggler's Copters.

I'm not sure I'll every actually do anything with it, since it'd involve getting into standard again, but I'd like to believe it has some potential.

3 Concealed Courtyard
4 Inspiring Vantage
7 Mountain
6 Plains

4 Toolcraft Exemplar
4 Bomat Courier
4 Scrapheap Scrounger
4 Selfless Spirit
2 Veteran Motorist
4 Chief of the Foundry
2 Pia Nalaar

2 Servo Exhibition
4 Incendiary Flow
3 Declaration in Stone

4 Gryff's Boon
3 Smuggler's Copter

SB: 3 Always Watching
SB: 2 Angel of Invention
SB: 2 Chandra's Pyrohelix
SB: 4 Fragmentize
SB: 4 Skywhaler's Shot

Toolcraft Exemplar is the most aggressive 1-drop printed in a long time, and Bomat Courier is essentially Raging Goblin and Chief is its King. Scrapheap Scrounger has more power than CMC and can recur if the game goes on long. The black splash off of the Courtyards is entirely for it. Selfless Spirit has evasion and protects from Fumigates and Kozliek's Returns. Veteran Motorist is here mostly for the Scry 2 and having more power than CMC. Servo Exhibition is essentially the 9th and 10th 2-drops, here mostly to give Toolcraft Exemplar a critical mass of artifacts, and it works alright with Chief or Copter. Speaking of, Chief of the Foundry is the key here, pumping the Couriers and Scrapheaps and assorted servos. Pia Nalaar worked as the other 3-drop well enough, being 3 power and a mana sink.

Incendiary Flow is the only good burn spell, and Declaration is for the things Flow can't kill. Gryff's Boon is a fantastic pump for any guy and it can come back with Scrapheap occasionally. And Smuggler's Copters, because of course, it gives some guys effective haste, has evasion, and lets servos contribute without having to get into the fray.

The SB is mostly blind guessing and hope. Always Watching since it's mostly nontoken creatures, Angel of Invention for a post-Fumigate presence that doesn't get hit by Spell Queller, Pyrohelix for the second best burn, Fragmentize as the only good disenchant, and Skywhaler's Shot for Declaration's job but more of them at instant speed.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I brewed this in a fit of madness. It seems to goldfish alright for the first few turns but without any tournaments there's no good netdecks for my brother to use for testing ATM.

It's called Boros Robots. It's a Mardu-color low-curve aggro list whose guiding principle is being upset half of the cost is in the fastlands and the Smuggler's Copters.

I'm not sure I'll every actually do anything with it, since it'd involve getting into standard again, but I'd like to believe it has some potential.

3 Concealed Courtyard
4 Inspiring Vantage
7 Mountain
6 Plains

4 Toolcraft Exemplar
4 Bomat Courier
4 Scrapheap Scrounger
4 Selfless Spirit
2 Veteran Motorist
4 Chief of the Foundry
2 Pia Nalaar

2 Servo Exhibition
4 Incendiary Flow
3 Declaration in Stone

4 Gryff's Boon
3 Smuggler's Copter

SB: 3 Always Watching
SB: 2 Angel of Invention
SB: 2 Chandra's Pyrohelix
SB: 4 Fragmentize
SB: 4 Skywhaler's Shot

Toolcraft Exemplar is the most aggressive 1-drop printed in a long time, and Bomat Courier is essentially Raging Goblin and Chief is its King. Scrapheap Scrounger has more power than CMC and can recur if the game goes on long. The black splash off of the Courtyards is entirely for it. Selfless Spirit has evasion and protects from Fumigates and Kozliek's Returns. Veteran Motorist is here mostly for the Scry 2 and having more power than CMC. Servo Exhibition is essentially the 9th and 10th 2-drops, here mostly to give Toolcraft Exemplar a critical mass of artifacts, and it works alright with Chief or Copter. Speaking of, Chief of the Foundry is the key here, pumping the Couriers and Scrapheaps and assorted servos. Pia Nalaar worked as the other 3-drop well enough, being 3 power and a mana sink.

Incendiary Flow is the only good burn spell, and Declaration is for the things Flow can't kill. Gryff's Boon is a fantastic pump for any guy and it can come back with Scrapheap occasionally. And Smuggler's Copters, because of course, it gives some guys effective haste, has evasion, and lets servos contribute without having to get into the fray.

The SB is mostly blind guessing and hope. Always Watching since it's mostly nontoken creatures, Angel of Invention for a post-Fumigate presence that doesn't get hit by Spell Queller, Pyrohelix for the second best burn, Fragmentize as the only good disenchant, and Skywhaler's Shot for Declaration's job but more of them at instant speed.

I'm playing that UG Energy Deck that Angry Grimace posted in the main thread. Getting out a Ulamog or Emrakul on T4 seems about as brutal as standard can get.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I brewed this in a fit of madness

False advertising, no madness cards

For what it's worth, my intuition is that you want more artifact creatures instead of some of the Gryff's Boons and also probably some Needle Spires.

Elyv fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Sep 27, 2016

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Here's a deck I enjoy, because I like playing bad decks. I've been trying to find a home for the madcap experiment + platinum emperion combo. Seems great in the R/G decks, so I've chosen to go with Ponza. In addition to the sideboard plan, I've added some spice with Eldritch Evolution. This lets me turn mana dorks into Magus of the Moon, and then my mid game creatures, baloth and finks, into my win conditions. also, if the need should ever arise, it can turn an inferno titan into a platinum emperion. a few things to work out through testing:

-What are the numbers on the tutors and tutor targets
-how bad is that dryad arbor (you can get it off of acid-moss so it's clearly great)
-how bad is wheel of sun and moon
-do i go deeper on the edlritch evolution plan? for example, turning arbor into some kind of hateful 2 drop

Blood Moon Rising

//Main
4 Arbor Elf
1 Birds of Paradise
2 Kitchen Finks
1 Magus of the Moon
2 Obstinate Baloth
3 Stormbreath Dragon
3 Inferno Titan
3 Bonfire of the Damned
2 Eldritch Evolution
1 Beast Within
4 Stone Rain
4 Mwonvuli Acid-Moss
4 Blood Moon
4 Utopia Sprawl
8 Forest
2 Mountain
3 Stomping Ground
1 Kessig Wolf Run
1 Dryad Arbor
3 Windswept Heath
4 Wooded Foothills

//Sideboard
2 Ancient Grudge
1 Reclamation Sage
3 Anger of the Gods
2 Kitchen Finks
1 Platinum Emperion
3 Wheel of Sun and Moon
3 Madcap Experiment

Display deck statistics

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
SO I've done some testing for the past week with this, and I thought it was going to be a decent deck. Last night I went 2-2 losing to spirits and G/B delirium, deat a 4 color emerge deck and getting a bye. I'm having land trouble, both crew and flood. Any advice anyone can give?

Deck: Naya Humans

//Lands
1 Evolving Wilds
2 Forest
4 Fortified Village
3 Game Trail
2 Hanweir Battlements
3 Inspiring Vantage
1 Mountain
2 Needle Spires
2 Plains

//Spells
1 Declaration in Stone
3 Grapple with the Past
4 Harnessed Lightning
3 Skywhaler's Shot

//Creatures
3 Hamlet Captain
3 Hanweir Garrison
2 Heron's Grace Champion
4 Inventor's Apprentice
1 Sigarda, Heron's Grace
4 Thalia's Lieutenant
4 Thraben Inspector
4 Tireless Tracker
4 Voltaic Brawler

Display deck statistics

When I actually didn't get bad hands, the deck worked fine. I got super tilted by the issues yesterday, that and the fact that every deck I play seems to suck against spirits.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I've been working on a Standard GW Midrange-y deck this weekend since I pulled a couple Cataclysmic Gearhulk's and have picked up some Verdurous Gearhulk's. Here's what I got so far:

4 Fortified Village
2 Canopy Vista
10 Forest
9 Plains

4 Duskwatch Recruiter
4 Sylvan Advocate
3 Tireless Tracker
3 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
3 Aerial Responder
3 Fairgrounds Warden
2 Cataclysmic Gearhulk
3 Verdurous Gearhulk

2 Attune with Aether
4 Stasis Snare
3 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar

SB so far: 3 Take Down, 3 Blossoming Defense, 2 Declaration in Stone, 4 Fragmentize

Basically I'd like to dig for Gearhulk's with Recruiter and Tracker clues, slow down the other player's creatures with Thalia, Warden's and Stasis Snare's, use Attune to make sure I hit my late land drops and then in Magical Christmas Land switch from defense to offense by hitting a Verdurous on turn five and play a Cataclysmic on turn six to wipe everything except both my Gearhulks, a Stasis Snare and a Gideon.

Not sure how wise it is to play five Gearhulks, or if it's even smarter to play a fourth Verdurous for six total, and not sure about having so much land. Also have a few sideboard slots that could be filled. I haven't played it yet, but it looks cool and fun.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Elblanco posted:

SO I've done some testing for the past week with this, and I thought it was going to be a decent deck. Last night I went 2-2 losing to spirits and G/B delirium, deat a 4 color emerge deck and getting a bye. I'm having land trouble, both crew and flood. Any advice anyone can give?

You have 10-12 sources of each colour, and you're wanting to cast 1- and 2-drops. Your manabase just sucks at letting you cast your spells on time. You probably want to cut to two colours (or at the very worst two + a lategame splash of a third), and adjust your land counts to have more sources of the right colours.

Hanweir Battlements is probably just too greedy here.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Jabor posted:

You have 10-12 sources of each colour, and you're wanting to cast 1- and 2-drops. Your manabase just sucks at letting you cast your spells on time. You probably want to cut to two colours (or at the very worst two + a lategame splash of a third), and adjust your land counts to have more sources of the right colours.

Hanweir Battlements is probably just too greedy here.

I was just thinking this myself last night, and considering putting Pia in place of the Hanweir Garrison as well. I also just realized that I miscounted my lands and only have 20, which is to few as well.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Elblanco posted:

When I actually didn't get bad hands, the deck worked fine. I got super tilted by the issues yesterday, that and the fact that every deck I play seems to suck against spirits.

If you stay in red, just sideboard weaver of lightning, bring those in and you'll be able to stonewall every creature in their deck except avacyn and then shoot down their x/1's by playing cheap instances / sorceries.

If you stay in red, don't remove Garrison, the synergy between garrison, the tokens it generates, and Thalia's lieutenant plus your other human centric cards is very, very strong.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Dehtraen posted:

If you stay in red, just sideboard weaver of lightning, bring those in and you'll be able to stonewall every creature in their deck except avacyn and then shoot down their x/1's by playing cheap instances / sorceries.

If you stay in red, don't remove Garrison, the synergy between garrison, the tokens it generates, and Thalia's lieutenant plus your other human centric cards is very, very strong.

Good point. I forgot about weaver, thanks! I agree about garrison too, o did get that combo off on Friday. 1 garrison and 3 lieutenants, was awesome. I just wasn't sure if I should keep it without the other merge card, just for a possible finisher for the long game. But I guess sigarda is better for that.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
If you were just RW, I could see having battlements as well, but the three color mana base with utility land is pretty greedy in standard.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I present to you, a FNM all star coming in at a whopping 50 bucks...

B/R vampires

Highlights....

Explosive turn 3 action with Incorrigible Youths
Surprise vampires on opponents turn
Insane turn 4 olivia/drana + madness poo poo
Glorious burn your face off action with 36 points of burn to the face in the deck.
Laugh off copters with drana/olivia/Stromkirk Condemned shenanigans.

Deck: b/r vampires

//Lands
4 Aether Hub
4 Foreboding Ruins
5 Mountain
9 Swamp

//Spells
4 Alms of the Vein
4 Fiery Temper
4 Incendiary Flow

//Creatures
4 Bloodhall Priest
2 Drana, Liberator of Malakir
2 Falkenrath Gorger
4 Heir of Falkenrath
4 Incorrigible Youths
4 Insolent Neonate
2 Olivia, Mobilized for War
4 Stromkirk Condemned

Display deck statistics

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm guessing you'd play Copter if not for budget? Also Key to the City seems interesting in this kind of deck, especially with Bloodhall Priest.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I'm guessing you'd play Copter if not for budget? Also Key to the City seems interesting in this kind of deck, especially with Bloodhall Priest.

As madness enablers go, copter only enables at the declares attackers step and blockers step. All your other madness enablers are on demand. Copter can't madness in attackers.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Could Avacyn's Judgment have a place in the RW dwarf vehicle aggro deck?

Seems like a good card to pitch to Smug Cop.

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered
I've been working on a Sultai clue-based midrange/control deck. The idea is to generate clues from trackers, journals, and trails of evidence, either using them for card advantage or sacrificing them through other routes depending on the game's direction. The large amount of early scry (Kingpin, Harsh Scrutiny) also helps line up early draws so that you have a good selection of answers. If the game goes beyond the midgame, the clues can then be used either to win directly with Marionette Master or tutor for an alternate win-con using the Journal.

Here's my starting point. I'm still pretty unsure about the sideboard and mana base, but between the Aether Hubs and the Attune with Aethers, early green and black is the priority (hence the green/black fastlands), while late blue/black are more valuable. Any suggestions would be most welcome; I'm just starting to play with/tune it.

Deck: Clue Control

//Lands
4 Aether Hub
4 Blooming Marsh
3 Choked Estuary
2 Forest
3 Island
4 Sunken Hollow
3 Swamp

//Spells
3 Attune with Aether
2 Confirm Suspicions
1 Flaying Tendrils
3 Grasp of Darkness
3 Harsh Scrutiny
2 Murder
2 Negate
2 Ruinous Path
3 Tamiyo's Journal
3 Trail of Evidence

//Creatures
3 Contraband Kingpin
2 Marionette Master
2 Syndicate Trafficker
4 Tireless Tracker
1 Torrential Gearhulk
1 Verdurous Gearhulk

//Sideboard
2 Ceremonious Rejection
2 Flaying Tendrils
2 Horribly Awry
3 Lost Legacy
2 Natural State
1 Ruinous Path
1 Summary Dismissal
2 Transgress the Mind

Display deck statistics

EDIT: Revised mana base for more early green/black.

Borachon fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 6, 2016

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Two thoughts: 1) Syndicate Trafficker doesn't fit in a control deck.

2, and much more importantly) you're running 3 Tamiyo's Journals, 3 Confirm Suspicions, 2 Trail of Evidence to go with your 4 Tireless Tracker. Tracker can trade off at a reasonable cost but everything else there is kind of clunky and expensive, you're going to get run over a lot. Cut some of the slow, expensive cards for cheaper interaction would be my recommendation.

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

Elyv posted:

Two thoughts: 1) Syndicate Trafficker doesn't fit in a control deck.

2, and much more importantly) you're running 3 Tamiyo's Journals, 3 Confirm Suspicions, 2 Trail of Evidence to go with your 4 Tireless Tracker. Tracker can trade off at a reasonable cost but everything else there is kind of clunky and expensive, you're going to get run over a lot. Cut some of the slow, expensive cards for cheaper interaction would be my recommendation.

I could certainly cut syndicate trafficker, maybe for a fourth contraband kingpin, a void shatter, and replace one of the 2 confirm suspicions with a second void shatter? Syndicate Trafficker is also a bit of a nonbo with Flaying Tendrils compared to the other creatures I'm running. I'm loathe to cut journals as it's the way to find a wincon if I don't draw it.

EDIT: I cut the other confirm suspicions for a second flaying tendrils, too. There's enough wide aggro that it helps, hitting almost everything in the vehicles decks and the exile effect can help against zombie decks in some situations, too. Also gives space for somtehing else in the sideboard, currently an anti-flyer instant to use against thopters, sovereigns, responders, and so on.

EDIT2: I'm probably going to remove the gearhulks and switch to the new Nissa as an alternate wincon, as it can protect and/or attack with lands and recurse other key elements of the deck from the graveyard.

Borachon fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 7, 2016

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Cross posting from the regular magic thread because somebody asked for the list over there, but here's the standard deck I've been testing:

Testing this in standard:

Jesky flash:

Creatures:

4x Mausoleum Wanderer

4x Rattlechains
4x Selfless Spirit
4x Dimensional Infiltrator

4x Spell Queller

/20

Spells:

4x Harnessed Lightning

2x Unsubstantiate

4x Spell Shrivel
4x Fevered Visions
3x Stasis Snare

/17

Land:

3x Inspiring Vantage
2x Port Town
3x Prairie Stream
2x Evolving Wilds
3x Spirebluff Canal
4x Wandering Fumarole
3x Aether Hub
1x Plains
1x Island
1x Mountain

/23

Sideboard:

4x Goblin Dark-Dwellers
4x Negate
3x Galvanic Bombardment
2x Summary Dismissal
2x Lunar Force

/15

Thoughts:

Main deck:
- mana base may need some tinkering, open to suggestions
- unsubstantiate might go to the main to be replaced with burn that can go to the face (maybe)
- maybe cut two cards for finishers? Goodnight castigator was in the original version. Maybe 2x the 4 mana dragon?

Sideboard:
- maybe cut some dank memers for more spells ??????
- lunar force should be cut for literally anything because it's a bad card (but I love it)
- should probably find room for 2x fumigate

Deck is still not great against Aggro. But it's very good against control and marvel and midrange decks.

Will take any advice

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered
Here's my updated deck list. As suggested, I've moved away from Syndicate Traffickers; I've also moved from Gearhulks to Nissa to provide something more resilient and a way to save other win conditions from the graveyard. I've fiddled with it a little online and am putting it together this week to take to the next FNM. More thoughts or suggestions?

Deck: Sultai Clue Control

//Lands/Land Tutors
4 Aether Hub
3 Attune with Aether
3 Blooming Marsh
2 Botanical Sanctum
2 Choked Estuary
2 Forest
2 Island
4 Sunken Hollow
4 Swamp

//Clue/Scry Engine
4 Contraband Kingpin
4 Tireless Tracker
3 Trail of Evidence
3 Tamiyo's Journal

//Control Package
2 Flaying Tendrils
3 Grasp of Darkness
3 Harsh Scrutiny
2 Murder
2 Negate
2 Ruinous Path
2 Void Shatter

//Win Conditions
2 Marionette Master
2 Nissa, Vital Force

//Sideboard
2 Appetite for the Unnatural
2 Ceremonious Rejection
1 Clip Wings
1 Flaying Tendrils
2 Horribly Awry
3 Lost Legacy
1 Ruinous Path
1 Summary Dismissal
2 Transgress the Mind

Display deck statistics

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
I think you have too many expensive, low-impact cards in a very fast format. You can't really tap out for Tamiyo's Journal when people are crashing a racecar into your face.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The list I am using for regionals.

Couple of notes...

Trying to do things on turn one even with ether hubs loving sucks in b/r. The mana is just never consistent enough to do something turn one without making your other turns worse. The 1 drops were just under performing. Loot copter under performed no matter how much we attempted to jam it.

Scrapheap while not a vampire, is easy on the mana and a decent card to discard if you hit a rare spot where you don't have a madness outlet. It also has this habit of doing a lot of damage or trading, then getting right back out there. It also turns on Disintegration which is nice turn 5+.

Distemper of the Blood is this card I felt like that I was going to refuse to play on principal when it was brought up to me. The card is just so bad. The problem is that it ends up being so useful so often in this deck. Since instant speed removal sucks and most of the combat tricks involve flash blocking or the like, it often ends up making chump blocking or attempting trading too risky for your opponents. Catches too many people off guard game one and often turns them into blowouts. The most important thing is that it enables you to outrace aggressive decks. Its also an easy card to side out game 2 and have you opponent still have to play around it. Drana often makes this card win the game.

Swinging for 7 on turn 3 with Incorrigible Youths + a 2 drop is enough to tilt your opponents. People just hate playing around haste.

Surprise bloodhall priests are also fun.

Going to the dome with burn is never going to be boring.

Deck: b/r vampires

//Lands
4 Foreboding Ruins
5 Mountain
4 Smoldering Marsh
9 Swamp

//Spells
3 Alms of the Vein
3 Distemper of the Blood
4 Fiery Temper
2 Key to the City
2 Lightning Axe
2 Unlicensed Disintegration

//Creatures
4 Bloodhall Priest
2 Drana, Liberator of Malakir
4 Heir of Falkenrath
4 Incorrigible Youths
4 Scrapheap Scrounger
4 Stromkirk Condemned

//Sideboard
2 Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
3 Lost Legacy
4 Reckless Bushwhacker
4 Transgress the Mind
2 Unlicensed Disintegration

Display deck statistics

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered
The more I played with Sultai clues and tried to make it work, the more it was clear that it needed to run lower and faster (as Elyv suggested). Sultai clue-based cards have good fastlands, counters, removal, and sticky creatures, so I've retargeted the deck to leverage. Syndicate Trafficker is a much better clue sacrifice outlet than Tamiyo's Journal, since it impacts the board immediately and can be very sticky with either a Tracker or Trial of Evidence on the board.

Current things I'm considering are the sideboard, whether or not Glimmer of Genius makes sense in this deck, an whether or not Marionette Master is worth it here. In terms of Glimmer, I only need energy early for mana fixing and am only at one torrential gearhulk right now, so it's not a huge payoff. One more land, one more trail of evidence, a few more gearhulks, or a lfew more counterspells (e.g. void shatter) to deal with combo/control decks are all tempting.

EDIT: Dropped the Glimmers and a Negate for 2 Void Shatters and another Trail of Evidence, since Glimmer seems a little outside of the direction for this deck. Any sideboard suggestions? Maybe just options for customizing the removal/counter package?

Here's where I currently am:

Deck: Sultai Clue Tempo

//Lands
4 Aether Hub
4 Blooming Marsh
4 Botanical Sanctum
3 Choked Estuary
2 Forest
2 Island
2 Swamp

//Spells
3 Attune with Aether
4 Blossoming Defense
4 Confront the Unknown
3 Grasp of Darkness
2 Murder
2 Negate
3 Trail of Evidence
2 Void Shatter

//Creatures
4 Contraband Kingpin
2 Marionette Master
4 Syndicate Trafficker
4 Tireless Tracker
1 Torrential Gearhulk
1 Verdurous Gearhulk

Display deck statistics

Borachon fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 17, 2016

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

If my deckbuilding skills were an overwatch character, it'd be called jankrat.

Deck: R/W Artificers

//Lands
4 Inspiring Vantage
6 Mountain
13 Plains

//Spells
4 Bone Saw
4 Inventor's Goggles
2 Sigarda's Aid
1 Skysovereign, Consul Flagship
2 Smuggler's Copter
4 Stoneforge Masterwork

//Creatures
2 Depala, Pilot Exemplar
4 Inventor's Apprentice
2 Pia Nalaar
4 Stone Haven Outfitter
4 Thraben Inspector
4 Toolcraft Exemplar

//Sideboard
3 Cataclysmic Gearhulk
3 Ceremonious Rejection
4 Declaration in Stone
2 Fragmentize
3 Spirebluff Canal

Display deck statistics

Thoughts on this build? The theme is obviously synergy between Artificers and Equipment, and using Stoneforge Masterwork gets creatures huge quickly with the shared types of Human/Dwarf/Artificer on all of the creatures. I was thinking of cutting the Sigarda's Aids for 1 of each more Depala and Pia, but the free equip just seems too spicy to pass up. Cataclysmic Gearhulk is in there just in case I'm facing anything else that gets a big board up quick.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

I'm looking to take this all common/uncommon deck from StrictlyBetterMTG and upgrade it with cards mostly from SOI/EMN and BFZ/OGW. I don't much care for the rarity restriction but I'd like to keep the overall cost under $75. If anyone has suggestions they'd be appreciated.

Deck: G/U Emerge

//Main
4 Eldrazi Skyspawner
3 Evolving Wilds
4 Exultant Cultist
4 Eyeless Watcher
12 Forest
3 Hedron Crawler
8 Island
4 It of the Horrid Swarm
4 Primal Druid
2 Pulse of Murasa
4 Scion Summoner
4 Ulvenwald Captive
4 Wretched Gryff

//Sideboard
2 Dispel
2 Natural State
4 Negate
4 Plummet
1 Pulse of Murasa
2 Root Out

Display deck statistics

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
You probably want to improve the mana base first, botanical sanctums and lumbering falls aren't that expensive. After that you can afford to add four sanctum of ugin, which would be a nice way for you chain your big emerge creatures together. You can also try one or two copies of decimator of the provinces (you can tutor for them with the sanctum of ugin) as a way to turn all your mana dorks and incidental tokens into a kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Thanks for the advice. Are there any other creatures you would sub out? I made a list of cards other builds use but I'm not sure what to sub out for them without hobbling the deck. It seems like a big part of it is using Eldrazi scion tokens to hard cast the emerge cards, so I'm not sure where stuff like Foul Emissary and Enlightened Maniac would fit.

Enlightened Maniac
Foul Emissary
Emrakul's Evangel

Elder Deep-Fiend
Vexing Scuttler
Drownyard Behemoth
Decimator of the Provinces
Mockery of Nature

Summary Dismissal
Prey upon

Emrakul's Influence

Injuryprone fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 29, 2016