Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Here's a really bad gimmick deck that I am trying to make work:

Deck: HISSSSSSSSSSSSSS
//Main
4 Mystic Snake
4 Coiling Oracle
4 Ambush Viper
3 Lorescale Coatl
2 Winged Coatl
3 Wasteland Viper
4 Abrupt Decay
2 Maelstrom Pulse
2 Inquisition of Kozilek
3 Remand
2 Cryptic Command
4 Serum Visions
2 Creeping Tar Pit
3 Breeding Pool
2 Forest
2 Island
3 Misty Rainforest
1 Overgrown Tomb
2 Polluted Delta
1 Sunken Ruins
1 Swamp
1 Flooded Grove
1 Cavern of Souls
1 Twilight Mire
2 Verdant Catacombs
1 Watery Grave

//Sideboard
2 Disfigure
2 Spellskite
2 Melira, Sylvok Outcast
3 Dispel
2 Golgari Charm
2 Relic of Progenitus
1 Creeping Corrosion
1 Scavenging Ooze

Display deck statistics

The gimmick should be pretty obvious. The *idea* of the deck, insofar as this pile can have an idea, is to use the sneakiness of snakes to keep the board clear and then use actual powerful BUG spells to win the game. Creeping Tar Pit is the all star here as far as actually winning the games go. Some thoughts:

Of course you want to put Lotus Cobra in Snakes.dec. I'm not sure how good its ability is when I want to cast a lot of my spells on the opponent's turn, even with fetches
I probably want some more real counterspells for the Tron matchup since I can't ever deal with any of their permanents and I don't win the game quickly. Maybe Deprive is good enough here?
I am light against burn. The usual Green spell, Feed the Clan, isn't particularly good here. Maybe I need to suck it up and find space for Finks
I don't know if I need the relics since the only real graveyard deck is Abzan Company, and I can just kill their poo poo
I have no idea how to build the manabase. I probably need some number of flooded groves? I feel like I want a bunch of creeping tar pits so I can actually win the game. Also I want to fit in a Hissing Quagmire for laffs

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

NofrikinfuN posted:

Does sorcery speed disqualify Sosuke's Summons for you? With so many snakes, you'd always be able to retrieve it if you needed more chump blockers.

It's a sideboard possibility for when I just need things to get in the way.

Elyv posted:

can you replace ambush viper and wasteland viper with cards that do things

Please see:

suicidesteve posted:

Ambush Viper and Wasteland Viper are basically Terminate, proving once and for all that WotC doesn't care about the color pie at all unless they're using it to screw over blue.

The real answer is that maybe I drop one and go up to 4 Lorescale Coatl, but if playing Stompy in modern has taught me anything it is that combat tricks are actually extremely effective because people aren't in that mindset in Modern. I think them both being available at instant speed is pretty hot (via bloodrush for Wasteland Viper)

suicidesteve posted:

I especially like the synergy between Lorescale Coatl and Coiling Oracle.

That would put the deck over the edge and Wizards would be forced to emergency ban Mystic Snake

One idea that I had, if I am using a bunch of my snakes basically as combat tricks, is that ulvenwald mysteries might have a place somewhere in the deck. I am trying to not have my cards Do Nothing but maybe

Also I need to find a spot for one or two river boas since UWR legitimately cannot deal with that card. e: I mean they can path it but then my opponent has just spent a path on River Boa

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Neglected Heirloom and Moonmist, while extremely flavorful, seem loose. There's no way you should be playing a reasonably aggressive red deck in Modern and not have four copies of lightning bolt. I'd cut the equipment and at least 2 moonmists for 4 bolts, then maybe find some two more werewolves since the math with only 25 werewolves seems a touch sketchy for collected company

the thing is, I'm not actually sure moonmist is where you want to be. Modern is not like standard, in that there aren't that many board states where you've got a bunch of creatures and aren't already just winning the game. seems like a reasonable sideboard card for the Company matchup or maybe affinity depends on how their draw lines up.

e: also with 21 lands and a curve that tops out at 3 you should definitely be playing some number (probably 4) of copperline gorge

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 6, 2016

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Mezzanon posted:

R/U fliers is such a loving fun deck to play, thank you Saito.

The Top Level Podcast guys were talking about a UW version that drops the burn for Declaration in Stone, Invocation of St Traft, and Essence Flux, then it jams in some Gideons and Reflect Mages.

Essence Flux in that deck seems like absolute gas

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Here's a deck that is assuredly bad

Deck: "Virtual Card Advantage"

//Creatures
3 Reflector Mage
3 Stratus Dancer
4 Dimensional Infiltrator
4 Rattlechains
4 Spell Queller
4 Niblis of Frost

//Spells
2 Essence Flux
2 Clash of Wills
3 Spell Shrivel
3 Unsubstantiate
4 Declaration in Stone

//Lands
3 Evolving Wilds
4 Port Town
4 Prairie Stream
7 Island
6 Plains

//Sideboard
3 Negate
2 Hallowed Moonlight
1 Dispel
4 Silkwrap
2 Selfless Spirit
1 Turn Aside
2 Gisela, the Broken Blade

The UW take of Saito's UR fliers deck with some of the new cards. idiots take care of business in the air while providing enough disruption to stop your opponent from killing you. Sideboard is a mess. I think Turn Aside is pretty good in this deck. I'm not sold on Gisela but she seems tough for the humans decks to beat. Essence flux seems very funny but I am not sure I want more than two.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Soothing Cacophony posted:

I feel like Ojutai's Command would be awesome here. Lots of great 2-drops to recur, and it plays nicely with your flash strategy. Maybe better than Essence Flux?

commanding back a rattlechains or a Selfless Spirit in matchups where that matters is a delight. the upside of flux is that it hits reflector mage and spell queller, so I need to play some more games and see which comes up more

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

no

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I'd play relics over leylines if you're really that worried about dredge

also the Sphinx's Rev seems super bad in your 23 land temp deck. I'd play geist to go faster with the control decks, as opposed to trying to play their game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Here's a deck I enjoy, because I like playing bad decks. I've been trying to find a home for the madcap experiment + platinum emperion combo. Seems great in the R/G decks, so I've chosen to go with Ponza. In addition to the sideboard plan, I've added some spice with Eldritch Evolution. This lets me turn mana dorks into Magus of the Moon, and then my mid game creatures, baloth and finks, into my win conditions. also, if the need should ever arise, it can turn an inferno titan into a platinum emperion. a few things to work out through testing:

-What are the numbers on the tutors and tutor targets
-how bad is that dryad arbor (you can get it off of acid-moss so it's clearly great)
-how bad is wheel of sun and moon
-do i go deeper on the edlritch evolution plan? for example, turning arbor into some kind of hateful 2 drop

Blood Moon Rising

//Main
4 Arbor Elf
1 Birds of Paradise
2 Kitchen Finks
1 Magus of the Moon
2 Obstinate Baloth
3 Stormbreath Dragon
3 Inferno Titan
3 Bonfire of the Damned
2 Eldritch Evolution
1 Beast Within