Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

I haven't playing in quite a while, but the GF and I are slowly easing our way back in. I won a prerelease on the weekend but other than that hadn't really played in almost two years, when I was regularly playing Modern. I have a few janky modern decks still put together, but the one I'd like suggestions on improving is this one:

Deck: Venser Control

//Lands
4 Glacial Fortress
3 Halimar Depths
4 Hallowed Fountain
3 Island
6 Plains
4 Temple of Enlightenment

//Spells
3 Ensnaring Bridge
2 Into the Roil
4 Mana Leak
3 Supreme Verdict
4 Swan Song
4 Venser, the Sojourner

//Creatures
3 Blade Splicer
2 Grand Arbiter Augustin IV
3 Restoration Angel
4 Stonehorn Dignitary
2 Wall of Omens
2 Omenspeaker

//Sideboard
2 Spell Pierce
2 Stony Silence
1 Tormod's Crypt
4 Leyline of Sanctity
1 Revoke Existence
1 Grafdigger's Cage
2 Spellskite
2 Path to Exile

Display deck statistics

I wanted a way to run ensnaring bridge mainboard and not have it be irritating to play around, so this is what I did. Venser is definitely a pet card for me, full disclosure. The meta I was using it in was heavily weighted towards aggro, and this deck did pretty well against aggressive decks that were not Affinity. The gameplan is survive on the backs of Blade Splicers, Omenspeakers, Wall of Omens and Supreme Verdicts / disruption until you can either shell up behind Venser / Stonehorn Dignitary / Ensnaring Bridge and get to Venser's emblem, or win with Restoration Angel and Blade Splicer value using Venser's -1 for evasion if needed. If you have the Ensnaring Bridge out, and lack of consistent card draw means you probably don't have a large hand, you can blink it with Venser to attack and have it come back for their turn.

Now, having not played in a while and not knowing much about the way modern has progressed, I'm sure it could use some updates. I plan on using it for FNM but don't know how the meta looks anymore. Don't worry about budget, I'll trade towards whatever I need and have a lot of trade potential.

Currently, I'd like to add Celestial Colonnades, probably two of them switched in for temples to give some more late-game threats. I've tested Snapcasters, but I'd probably have to change quite a bit about the deck to make them more worth running. Recurring Verdicts and counterspells is fun and all, but generally late-game you've got bridges and / or stonehorns to keep you safe.

Sideboard is a mess and will likely be drastically changed once I know the meta, this is just what I had before I stopped playing. I'll probably want more artifact removal because Torpor Orb is a problem, and if I could find anybody willing to part with Hurkyl's Recall I'd put a few in there as well. Affinity is not a deck I can usually survive long enough against and Stony Silence can only do so much. I also used to have problems against Jund decks running things like Thoughtseize, Lilianna and Deathrite Shaman, but I don't know if that's still played.

Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread