Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Evil Eagle posted:

I beat Alucard's Path as Trevor alone because I'm badasd.

the autoscrolling levels in alucards path are really garbage and i hate them and theres like 3 of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
One of the sickest feelings in the Castlevania series is doing huge drops as Grant and catching onto the walls on the way down.

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Pick up Grant if you haven't figured that out already. He has in air control and can cling to walls. It's a very liberating feeling after beating CV1 and 2 normally.

I loving love Castlevania and I hope this thread lasts a long time because there's lots I wanna talk about.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Doctor Goat posted:

One of the sickest feelings in the Castlevania series is doing huge drops as Grant and catching onto the walls on the way down.

that is cool

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Aria of Sorrow might be the best Metroidvania ever made, Circle of the Moon is underrated in general (not just among Castlevania games), and Order of Ecclesia is fun but has kind of a hosed up difficulty curve. these are my Castlevania Opinions.

Eleanor Pwnsevelt
Dec 25, 2003

The GBA games were all great and hell I even liked Harmony of Dissonance.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Order of Ecclesia hard mode has a difficulty horizontal line and that's awesome. It never stops being hard as hell.

Normal mode has a regular difficulty curve.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

C-Euro posted:

Aria of Sorrow might be the best Metroidvania ever made, Circle of the Moon is underrated in general (not just among Castlevania games), and Order of Ecclesia is fun but has kind of a hosed up difficulty curve. these are my Castlevania Opinions.

gently caress you!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

stick to dark souls

I've been ruthlessly pwned

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
I loved Ecclesia the first time through and I haven't gotten around to ever playing it again.

That one boss in the castle at the beginning is completely insane as a difficulty hike. I couldn't touch him until I went and got some dark resist gear.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Circle of the Moon gave me trouble as a younger gamer, specifically the Zombie Dragons. I loved the card switching system in that game.

Ecclesia is hard as hell, but it is extremely satisfying when you beat a boss.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

NickRoweFillea posted:

Circle of the Moon gave me trouble as a younger gamer, specifically the Zombie Dragons. I loved the card switching system in that game.

The cards were cool even if some of them could have been less obscure or annoying to track down (why do Earth Demons drop the Ice element card?), plus if you (don't read this In Training) activated a card combo, then switched the selected cards during the animation, you could use any combination right away.

Game was a good mix of old-school Castlevania and Metroidvania, and Thief mode should be in every Metroidvania game.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 9, 2016

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

C-Euro posted:

The cards were cool even if obtaining some of them could have been less obscure or annoying to track down (why do Earth Demons drop the Ice element card?), plus if you (don't read this In Training) activated a card combo, then switched the selected cards during the animation, you could use any combination right away.

Game was a good mix of old-school Castlevania and Metroidvania, and Thief mode should be in every Metroidvania game.

I remember getting the card combo for the gun and thinking it was going to be the coolest and most powerful weapon. It's a gun! How could it not be powerful? Surprise surprise, it blows.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

I'm currently playing Curse of Darkness and I'm always playing OoE.

Curse of Darkness is a true sleeper classic. They could've used the mechanics from that to build into the series more. Castlevania + pokemon + weapon crafting + that steal system? :allears:

a clown
Oct 13, 2012

by Smythe

Sum Mors posted:

Curse of Darkness is a true sleeper classic. They could've used the mechanics from that to build into the series more. Castlevania + pokemon + weapon crafting + that steal system? :allears:

youre a true sleeper classic

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Sum Mors posted:

Once I figured out combo finishers I started really getting into it. There's a ton of great movesets in that game.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014
Syfa/Sypha was my go-to, I spend all my time in Castlevania trying not to be in the air, so Grant and Alucard are pointless.

mysterious loyall X posted:

millennial here. i can't jump over the space which is clearly the length of trevor belmont's normal jump .

lol

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Evil Eagle posted:

Order of Ecclesia hard mode has a difficulty horizontal line and that's awesome. It never stops being hard as hell.

Normal mode has a regular difficulty curve.

None of the Metroidvanias are remotely hard at all.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Agag posted:

Level 1 hard mode in Order of Ecclesia is definitely hard.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

Well, it can be if you do it with your LP restrictions. Death Ring trivializes a lot.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Evil Eagle posted:

Is that the one where you're a girl and can dual-wield? I don't think I played that one, but now I'll have to.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Agag posted:

Ive only play Dawn of Sorrow but it does that cool thing where you have so many gameplay options that you can kinda tweak your own difficulty.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

In Training posted:

Ive only play Dawn of Sorrow but it does that cool thing where you have so many gameplay options that you can kinda tweak your own difficulty.

This is a cool thing about them going back to SotN. You can make up your own rules to make the game more challenging. Keeps things interesting until you %100 the castle.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Agag posted:

Is that the one where you're a girl and can dual-wield? I don't think I played that one, but now I'll have to.

its good, and pretty difficult as far as the sotn style ones go

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh I also know it's kinda gimmicky but I did actually like drawing the seal on the bottom screen to deal the finishing blow to bosses

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i really hate the complex ones, stupid and not fun! gently caress you konami

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

i really hate the complex ones, stupid and not fun! gently caress you konami

It was dumb that failing it meant you had to redo a little bit of the fight and as a lefty that meant I couldn't use the dpad for a few seconds and would probably take a hit

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

In Training posted:

It was dumb that failing it meant you had to redo a little bit of the fight and as a lefty that meant I couldn't use the dpad for a few seconds and would probably take a hit

lefty fail

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014
We all respect you, Nintendo, but you need to understand that gimmicky controls are for casuals and children. Sticks, pads and buttons please.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

The boss in Dawn of Sorrow thats basically a two legged elephant is loving awesome.

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

net cafe scandal posted:

The boss in Dawn of Sorrow thats basically a two legged elephant is loving awesome.

nice self-insert net cafe scandal

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Agag posted:

We all respect you, Nintendo, but you need to understand that gimmicky controls are for casuals and children. Sticks, pads and buttons please.

the touch screen is fine

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

the touch screen is fine
Hell, it's good actually.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

starbarry clock posted:

nice self-insert net cafe scandal

:gary:

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

the touch screen is fine

Dual screen gaming ftw.

Touching the screen to teleport Albus around ftw as well.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Sum Mors posted:

Both of the PS2 3D Castlevanias are real underrated

[after finally stealing the last material and crafting the minigun] "haha time to kill... wait, poo poo"

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Evil Eagle posted:

Dual screen gaming ftw.

Touching the screen to teleport Albus around ftw as well.

I was stuck for several days on the frozen waterfall because I forgot about teleporting.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

the touch screen is fine

Bill Barber posted:

Hell, it's good actually.

Maybe I'm too old, but I prefer gamepad or arcade stick alone.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Agag posted:

Maybe I'm too old, but I prefer gamepad or arcade stick alone.
I'm 30. Touchscreen is fine, and actually preferable for menu stuff, as long as it isn't your only form of control.

I remember the seal thing getting a huge backlash in GAMES when it first was announced but it's really not that big of a deal in practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

make sure u play the japanese version of castlemania 3 because it has a sick extra sound chip that was only supported by famicom so nes got gyped [as in gypsied][notorious thieves and a plague upon uerope, aside from the plague of native europeans]

This.

• Locked thread