Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
headshot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

atomicthumbs posted:

The tesla costs a lot of money, but it isn't worth as much as it costs.

this right here. for more than $90k ($130k for the model X lol), you can get a much better car than a tesla. in fact, the only dimension where tesla wins is acceleration, so if you need to race ferraris every day it's a decent value.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

The Management posted:

this right here. for more than $90k ($130k for the model X lol), you can get a much better car than a tesla. in fact, the only dimension where tesla wins is acceleration, so if you need to race ferraris every day it's a decent value.

you can get a Nissan GT-R that outperforms it and ticks all your tech fetish checkboxes for that money

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

you can get a Nissan GT-R that outperforms it and ticks all your tech fetish checkboxes for that money

Richard's GTR

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
tesla is the best acceleration per dollar value for people that exclusively drive in the city and exclusively drive like an rear end in a top hat. it cannot be beaten in that department. this is why everybody is so excited. for only 45 grand in 3 years you will be able to cut people off like loving _crazy_. theyre sick of their 328i getting dusted by model S's and it's about god drat time that they get revenge

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
i just want to buy a car which is, 'the future'. is that so much to ask.

if a car does not spell out 'technology' and 'cyber electric magic' i don't really know what the point is

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
hurr, i'm gonna buy a car that uses GAS in TYOOL 2016. i like to smell gas fumes and change "carburetors" in my "four-stroke engine". i'm basically a caveman -- people who aren't buying the tesla, right now.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
rebuilding a carb owns. delicate precision machined passageways in nice blocks of brass, mm good stuff. plus you get to learn how a carb works

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
I just canceled my preorder after reading the GBS Tesla/Musk mock thread. I don't wanna be associated with what is basically the Bitcoin of cars.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
if you aren't buying the tesla, you are basically buying a horse and buggy - those are simply the facts of the matter. the end result? a load... of HORSE poo poo!!!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

rebuilding a carb owns. delicate precision machined passageways in nice blocks of brass, mm good stuff. plus you get to learn how a carb works

carbs are literally poison.

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

i love driving the car of the future : a 3 ton box on wheels filled with acid

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

PleasingFungus posted:

carbs are literally poison.

Lol

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

OSI bean dip posted:

i rode in a certain yosposter's tesla a few weeks back and he got me sold

probably will buy a tesla model 3 once the 300K early adopters got theirs unless i make serious bank of all a sudden then i'll buy a model s the day after i get the fat cheque

Now that I realize the Tesla is bad I think we should find that 'certain yosposter' and run him out of this forum for being a dumbass early adopter for what amounts to a Bitcoin in car form.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/721815145932951552

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

James, slouched in an Aeron, is refreshing the Model 3 waiting list. He pounds F5 with both hands, panting.
He gives up, exhausted, rests, tries again.
As before.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

carburetors are literally analog mechanical fluid computers, so it's really surprising to me that the same group that salivates over steampunk stuff doesn't appreciate them more

Jonny 290 posted:

tesla is the best acceleration per dollar value for people that exclusively drive in the city and exclusively drive like an rear end in a top hat. it cannot be beaten in that department. this is why everybody is so excited. for only 45 grand in 3 years you will be able to cut people off like loving _crazy_. theyre sick of their 328i getting dusted by model S's and it's about god drat time that they get revenge

have I ever told you about how fast motorcycles accelerate and how cheap they are????

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Jonny 290 posted:

plus you get to learn how a carb works

totally handy knowledge for a tech worker with an electric vehicle

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Rebuilding a carburetor isn't generally a useful skill at all anymore, it's just a neat spergy mechanical thing. you'd think that the kind of person who builds a computer in Minecraft would eat it up

i guess cars are too associated with dumb jocks and bullies and greasers unless they're a computer space pod on wheels

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
it's almost as if there are different cars made for people who think of cars as tools and want a beige driving appliance and people who think of cars as extensions of their personal brand and want a giant throbbing red one that's all veiny and obnoxious

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

So, which one do you own

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
nothing wrong with being a tinkerer just please teach your kids how to replace battery cells or whatever, because teaching him about combustion engine parts is going to be about as handy as knowing how to set up a printing press in about 10 years

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

So, which one do you own

i paid extra to get like 30 "m-sport" tags put all over my car non m-car so you can draw your own conclusions

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Beast of Bourbon posted:

i paid extra to get like 30 "m-sport" tags put all over my car non m-car so you can draw your own conclusions

There's a Challenger that parks on my block. I wondered why the front badge was deleted and why the SRT-8 badge was on the spoiler. When the sun shines just right, you can see "RT" headrest stitching through the blackout tint windshield

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
i love seeing that stuff. totally love it. theres a guy 2 blocks south with an old 318ti, the tiny compact hatchback who has a wrong-sized M3 badge on the back and cut out the back bumper for a fake exhaust port.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Beast of Bourbon posted:

how dare you get a car the way that you want it!? this is very problematic.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

In some countries any badging on your car other than the manufacturer's emblem (engine size, trim level, etc) is sold as an optional feature, because it's considered uncouth to advertise how much you spent on the vehicle

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Sagebrush posted:

carburetors are literally analog mechanical fluid computers, so it's really surprising to me that the same group that salivates over steampunk stuff doesn't appreciate them more

you cannot repair a carburetor by hot gluing leather straps and spray-painted plastic gears on it

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Sagebrush posted:

steam punk kind of associates themselves with a way different crowd then carburetor lovers

that crowd is like real life steampunk: not nearly as pretty or stylish

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Beast of Bourbon posted:

i love seeing that stuff. totally love it. theres a guy 2 blocks south with an old 318ti, the tiny compact hatchback who has a wrong-sized M3 badge on the back and cut out the back bumper for a fake exhaust port.

i want a 318ti hatch badly

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

totally handy knowledge for a tech worker with an electric vehicle

you motherfuckers sit around getting 32nd degree mason on 18 different video games, dont talk to me about wasting time on essential skills

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you can buy individual digits and letters for BMW badges and since i obviously long ripped off the badging i was thinking of confusing people by making my car a 520d because they constantly race me now

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
subaru drivers, calm the gently caress down.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

you motherfuckers sit around getting 32nd degree mason on 18 different video games, dont talk to me about wasting time on essential skills

rekt

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

http://www.automationgame.com/

it's like the sims for gearheads i guess

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
Ok, closing this thread now that it's devolved from actually interesting Tesla discussion to Automotive Insanity level car-sperging.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

you suck squeezy

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Sagebrush posted:

have I ever told you about how fast motorcycles accelerate and how cheap they are????

internal combustion engines are anathema to steampunks

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Beast of Bourbon posted:

it's almost as if there are different cars made for people who think of cars as tools and want a beige driving appliance and people who think of cars as extensions of their personal brand and want a giant throbbing red one that's all veiny and obnoxious

My car is a silver station wagon and unless you own a Tesla it may well be faster than your car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Squeezy Farm posted:

Ok, closing this thread now that it's devolved from actually interesting Tesla discussion to Automotive Insanity level car-sperging.

good call

• Locked thread