Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

this looks fully sick in a good way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

The Management posted:

is this the thread where a bunch of poors think they can have nice things like rich people?

since no one else said it: that post/username combo

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

The Management posted:

is this the thread where a bunch of poors think they can have nice things like rich people?

since no one else said it: that post/username combo

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
take it to the car forum dumbass op!!! :rolleyes:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

poty posted:

this looks fully sick in a good way

Just get a bus pass and stop being afraid of black people. Literally the same exact transit experience.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

*raises paw*

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Jonny 290 posted:

Just get a bus pass and stop being afraid of black people. Literally the same exact transit experience.

You're just salty they didn't realise a giant eclectic rv to live in

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
rvs are made for long distance constant speed overland trips, which pure EVs suck at without exception

now start talking about a hybrid that just has a 4-6cyl turbodiesel spinning a generator and i will be tremendously interested. especially since by doing that you can probably get rid of the $10,000 6 kilowatt AC generator we all have bolted underneath

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Also, I like driving more than 100 miles away from my home sometimes. Teslas are mostly for people who never moved away from the town they went to high school in.

Jonny 290 posted:

now start talking about a hybrid that just has a 4-6cyl turbodiesel spinning a generator

you mean "turboshaft engine spinning a generator" right

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
too loud. gotta keep neighbors in mind. you can muffle a diesel 4 quite nicely without sacrificing powerband performance

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

atomicthumbs posted:

Also, I like driving more than 100 miles away from my home sometimes. Teslas are mostly for people who never moved away from the town they went to high school in.

they have their supercharger network that lets you get further than that from your house with only moderate inconvenience of waiting a half hour for your car to charge.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
*plays elaborate game of low-overhead leapfrog to make it to the next one-percenter laser gas station, effectively turning their car into a coal-powered vehicle at most recharges*

supercharger network is a good start, bad answer

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
it's good for the once a year you want to drive from SF to LA. but it's not really a solution to range anxiety

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

atomicthumbs posted:

if only there was some way to own two different vehicles at the same time

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

what if you put solar panels on the roof??

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yes what if you put solar panels on the roof?????

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it seems pretty obvious to me. probably big oil keeping the solar companies down

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

if only there was some way to own two different vehicles at the same time

I like having one car that can go more than one place.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Jonny 290 posted:

*plays elaborate game of low-overhead leapfrog to make it to the next one-percenter laser gas station, effectively turning their car into a coal-powered vehicle at most recharges*

supercharger network is a good start, bad answer

I don't get why they don't make a tow-behind generator for long haul driving

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
an RV that could simultaneously tow and recharge a tesla might be cool

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

electric cars are cool and good

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
op I tried to but they were sold out

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

Bloody posted:

so there's the s, the 3, and the x?

just want you to know that i didnt miss this, fellow forums poster Bloody

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

du -hast posted:

just want you to know that i didnt miss this, fellow forums poster Bloody

ty

StateOwned
Dec 30, 2005

this lane closed
if you have enough money to buy a tesla you should be living in a city that does not require owning a car like a civilized human being

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

maniacdevnull posted:

lol imagine a tesla with a pusher

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

StateOwned posted:

if you have enough money to buy a tesla you should be living in a city that does not require owning a car like a civilized human being

yeah but we have a house in the hamptons and like driving down as a family

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

the hampton jitney reminds me too much of normal bus for my liking tbh

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

power botton posted:

yeah but we have a house in the hamptons and like driving down as a family

You drive to your house in the Hamptons? Is your pilot sick or doing some poor person thing?

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

maniacdevnull posted:

hell yeah, or maybe like a a giant wind sail on top that charged the motor

or like a massive solar sail

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
They were anticipating 150k preorders and last i heard they were up to 350k; as much as i honestly want to see them succeed, their attempts to meet demand and failing are going to be comical.

2021ad: last tesla preorder delivered

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

Sagebrush posted:

what if you put solar panels on the roof??

GIS says

its a gimmick though

the panel is too small and it only charges the regular dash battery and not the drive battery

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
assuming a (laughably high) 20% panel efficiency and 1 meter square on the roof you would get ~200w in full sun. iirc room temp teslas get about 0.2 kwh per km. so for an hour of sun you could get one km of driving

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

Jonny 290 posted:

assuming a (laughably high) 20% panel efficiency and 1 meter square on the roof you would get ~200w in full sun. iirc room temp teslas get about 0.2 kwh per km. so for an hour of sun you could get one km of driving

so if you had a massive parachute sail, let's say 1km x 1km in size tethered to your car, flying high above you in the sky as you're driving, you could EASILY drive forever?

you're on to something here man

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

TerminalRaptor posted:

They were anticipating 150k preorders and last i heard they were up to 350k; as much as i honestly want to see them succeed, their attempts to meet demand and failing are going to be comical.

2021ad: last tesla preorder delivered

on the other hand, with this many pre-orders and poo poo, they could probably make a good case for building more infrastructure.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Beast of Bourbon posted:

on the other hand, with this many pre-orders and poo poo, they could probably make a good case for building more infrastructure.

"guys we need 4x as many batteries, build more factories"

*china builds a factory with 10x capacity, uses tesla's cash to drive cell prices down,competitors show up, tesla screwed*

its complex

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Not sure why a subforum of people who spend their lives putting out the software fires of both their peers and their own creations would get in a line to pay for the user-side experience of that at 75 miles an hour.

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Apr 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
i don't have a driver's license and i ride my bile everywhrre (which got stolen on saturdsy rip)

• Locked thread