Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

Bloody posted:

so there's the s, the 3, and the x?

there'll probably also be a y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Musk apparently wanted the model 3 to be the model E, but Ford already owned the trademark

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I want to spend 10k to cover the roof of the I am going to purchase in solar panels so I can at least break even on the electricity for the 7kW glass kiln I'm going to install. Electricity is 35c/kWh here.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Bōsūnzoku

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Granbar posted:

i don't have a driver's license and i ride my bile everywhrre (which got stolen on saturdsy rip)

you used to ride Your Post History everywhere? :twisted:

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

sweet spoilers

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

this morning i walked out in front of a Model X coming out of an alleyway because i couldn't hear it. besides the tiny grille it looked like a Ford Escape.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
it is a very ugly car, and the front is not even the bad part.

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Cat Face Joe posted:

sweet spoilers

downsforce.gif

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I saw a model s this morning and it is a generic looking vehicle, I bet that's why they got fixated on the gullfalcon wing doors because without them it's basically every domestic post-minivan

qirex fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 11, 2016

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

El Mero Mero posted:

Not sure why a subforum of people who spend their lives putting out the software fires of both their peers and their own creations would get in a line to pay for the user-side experience of that at 75 miles an hour.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
it is too late to buy a car that is not filled with software. it's only a question of how much of it is user-facing

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

used cars exist

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

how big are the registers in the teslas? how is their ram?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Bloody posted:

used cars exist

not anymore they dont

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

PleasingFungus posted:

it is too late to buy a car that is not filled with software. it's only a question of how much of it is user-facing

Bloody posted:

used cars exist

Cat Face Joe posted:

not anymore they dont

i was going to say, buy a classic car, but people are putting computers into the engines of those now too

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

BONGHITZ posted:

how big are the registers in the teslas? how is their ram?

they use nvidia tegras, so assume it's the wrong kind of ram

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
will my driving experience drop frames when it is very hot outside?

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
what if you turned my solar sail idea into something that dragged the car behind it, rather than just functioned as a charging instrument?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
there's a difference between an ECU and a loving nav computer.

firmware/eprom based engine computers are FINE. I remember a buddy's dad keeping a '56 Willys around because "they got tracking chips in the (90s car) computers." Shoulda spent his money on an electronics class.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

there's a difference between an ECU and a loving nav computer.

firmware/eprom based engine computers are FINE. I remember a buddy's dad keeping a '56 Willys around because "they got tracking chips in the (90s car) computers." Shoulda spent his money on an electronics class.

hmm actually they're bad gimme a carb

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

proud owner of a house on wheels posted:

hmm actually they're bad gimme a carb

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

“Despite [15] prior successful tests and no reports of a third row seat slipping in any customer vehicles,” Tesla said in an email to affected owners, “we have decided to conduct a voluntary recall as a precautionary measure and will be replacing all affected third row seat backs.”

Lucky for Tesla, the scope of the recall is rather narrow as the company to date has only shipped 2,700 Model Xs.

lomarf

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

having worked on vehicles with ecus and vehicles with carbs, an ecu is like 1000x more reliable

i suppose theoretically you can rebuild a busted carburetor with hand tools (assuming you have the spare parts), but by the time a potted solid-state ecu actually craps out, the rest of the car will already have dissolved into wind and ghosts

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

your conflating me with Mr 290

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
I put a deposit on, but only because it's refundable. I'll get one depending on part 2 of the reveal/tax credit situation/whatever else they do to take stuff away (i think there's some ambiguity with safety/autopilot features being standard/access to the tesla charging stations).

I don't know wtf some of you guys are talking about, the car looks fine to me:

Edit: Although the ipad center console looks loving retarded, but i guess you can't have it all.

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Mister Fister posted:

I put a deposit on, but only because it's refundable. I'll get one depending on part 2 of the reveal/tax credit situation/whatever else they do to take stuff away (i think there's some ambiguity with safety/autopilot features being standard/access to the tesla charging stations).

I don't know wtf some of you guys are talking about, the car looks fine to me:

Edit: Although the ipad center console looks loving retarded, but i guess you can't have it all.

i doubt the dubs and matte finish will come standard

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Mister Fister posted:

Although the ipad center console looks loving retarded, but i guess you can't have it all.

i'm going to rip you a new rear end in a top hat over this btw.

this is why people are hosed up and stupid about cars. "Oh the entire user interface is hosed and stupid but you can't have it all" this is the entirety of the methods in which _you_ interact with the car. for fucks sake. Ignoring the popular-science-as-gently caress autopilot ( real soon now, as soon as they put fresh blacktop with nice white lines on every street in america) why would you want to buy a thing in which you'll be reminded how annoyed you are every time you do ANYTHING with it. if you are not SUPER comfortable with the cockpit of a car, it is a lovely and bad thing to buy it, beause not only do you loathe and distrust this 4000lb death machine, but you can't adequately control it.

I know i hem and haw about old cars but at least somebody sat in the car and test drove it and said "You can't see the fuel gauge when you're leaned back in the seat; this could be bad on road trips" or "It's a little hard to adjust the window vent if you're reversing"

no input from real live human beings not on Tesla's payroll was used in design of the model 3

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

yard salad posted:

i doubt the dubs and matte finish will come standard

Only looking at maybe the matte black finish, if it's $1000 or less, i think i'll get it.

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Mister Fister posted:

Only looking at maybe the matte black finish, if it's $1000 or less, i think i'll get it.

it wont be

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

no input from real live human beings not on Tesla's payroll was used in design of the model 3

but apple does all their testing internally in ultra secret and never shows anything early so why can't we do the same with our car??????

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Jonny 290 posted:

i'm going to rip you a new rear end in a top hat over this btw.

this is why people are hosed up and stupid about cars. "Oh the entire user interface is hosed and stupid but you can't have it all" this is the entirety of the methods in which _you_ interact with the car. for fucks sake. Ignoring the popular-science-as-gently caress autopilot ( real soon now, as soon as they put fresh blacktop with nice white lines on every street in america) why would you want to buy a thing in which you'll be reminded how annoyed you are every time you do ANYTHING with it. if you are not SUPER comfortable with the cockpit of a car, it is a lovely and bad thing to buy it, beause not only do you loathe and distrust this 4000lb death machine, but you can't adequately control it.

I know i hem and haw about old cars but at least somebody sat in the car and test drove it and said "You can't see the fuel gauge when you're leaned back in the seat; this could be bad on road trips" or "It's a little hard to adjust the window vent if you're reversing"

Eh, I can live with it, it's just an aesthetic annoyance. The price point, outside styling, safety tech/supposed superior crash test ratings, electric range vs. other electric vehicles on the market in the same price range, and the fact that i will have almost no maintenance and probably no repairs (assuming no accidents) is worth the one stupid aesthetic feature.

Besides that, the 'ipad interface' may or may not be the final design, kinda crossing my fingers it isn't, but it's not a dealbreaker (well, it could be depending on the tax credit situation and whatever else they decide to take away in the 2nd reveal and later on).

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

matte finishes on cars are an idiotic idea btw. have you ever tried to wipe off a matte surface? there's a reason every high use surface gets painted glossy

Mister Fister posted:

Eh, I can live with it, it's just an aesthetic annoyance.

no, it's much more than just aesthetic. it's an ergonomic disaster.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Sagebrush posted:

matte finishes on cars are an idiotic idea btw. have you ever tried to wipe off a matte surface? there's a reason every high use surface gets painted glossy

no, it's much more than just aesthetic. it's an ergonomic disaster.

Yeah i heard matte finishes are annoying, but i have a bit of OCD when it comes to cleaning my car so, hopefully it's not that big a deal.

I think i'd be more annoyed at the 'ipad' as a passenger rather than a driver. Oh well.

The interior will change for the 2nd reveal, so i hope the 'ipad' will change

http://www.theweek.co.uk/tesla-model-3/70320/tesla-model-3-nissan-boss-welcomes-hype-over-rival

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Mister Fister posted:

Eh, I can live with it, it's just an aesthetic annoyance. The price point, outside styling, safety tech/supposed superior crash test ratings, electric range vs. other electric vehicles on the market in the same price range, and the fact that i will have almost no maintenance and probably no repairs (assuming no accidents) is worth the one stupid aesthetic feature.

Besides that, the 'ipad interface' may or may not be the final design, kinda crossing my fingers it isn't, but it's not a dealbreaker (well, it could be depending on the tax credit situation and whatever else they decide to take away in the 2nd reveal and later on).

Consumer Reports says that the Model S has been less reliable than other cars in its class. You'd think that without all the moving parts of an engine and transmission it would be more reliable, but the car has all the other same breakable bits that cars have (wheels, brakes, doors, AC/heating) plus the software suite that routinely bricks the car.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
"i won't have to spend money on maintenance" talk to me about dem door handles a couple ice storms from now breh

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
*buys car with enormous full length glass roof that is untouchable by Safelite or any company that is not Tesla Motors Inc* "I'm really saving a lot over those old-fashioned, cantankerous cars, what with their carburetors and points and such"

"gently caress, a gravel truck, pull over"

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

yard salad posted:

Consumer Reports says that the Model S has been less reliable than other cars in its class. You'd think that without all the moving parts of an engine and transmission it would be more reliable, but the car has all the other same breakable bits that cars have (wheels, brakes, doors, AC/heating) plus the software suite that routinely bricks the car.

Well, that sucks, i guess i'll have to read up on that more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

"i won't have to spend money on maintenance" talk to me about dem door handles a couple ice storms from now breh

just piss on em, like cyclists do to their chains in winter

• Locked thread