Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
it's almost like you can't understand the concept that "comes from an expensive thing" doesn't equal "is good design". rich people flaunting wealth with hideously garrish car interiors doesn't make it good, unless you worship rich people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

please give me some examples of good car interior design and an analysis of why they're good. i'd love to hear what you have to say.

:allears:

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
why do you care what I think? your poo poo is trash bro

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Sagebrush posted:

vehicular xanax catastrophe

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Geo Metro supremacy

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
metros are cute but ~hypermilers~ drove the market way up

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
Tesla is for cucks.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
future

tesla

customers

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

future

tesla

customers

Honda insight supremacy also

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Ev1 . I remember. Who Killed The Electric Car, the movie. I remember.

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

yard salad posted:

remember, in America, conspicuous consumption is sinful according to our Puritan values. work is its own reward and frugality is virtuous. that's why people dump $80k into a pickup truck: it's luxurious and well-appointed inside, but from the outside, everyone thinks you're a Good Middle Class working man. luxury cars (especially foreign cars) are viewed with suspicion.

meanwhile, a Tesla S/X is a signal that the owner is a part of the investment class of the new tech economy, where money is venerated for its own sake and for whom conspicuous consumption is necessary to display virtuousness.

the model 3 trades on all that (and it's why the iPad is such an important inclusion). it doesn't violate Puritan frugality values because it's an EV and therefore thrifty / ecofriendly (even though it's really not)

this so loving much

the tesla is basically a big fat exemption to the the baseball bat speech that was made at google just before the ipo dropped. you see a red tiny loud car with a gigantic engine in the middle of it and you immediately, without thinking, know it's owner is loaded but the tesla is such a soup of bits and pieces of upper middle class cars that it takes a few seconds before it dawns on you that it cost almost as much

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
insights were very cool agree

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Smythe posted:

Honda insight supremacy also

my mom has one of those first gen insights, it's a really neat little car. it's got the CVT and sounds like a spaceship when you accelerate.

the manual ones even had this lean-burn mode where the A:F ratio goes to like 23:1 (regular is 14.7:1) and you could get some crazy high gas mileage that way.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Elder Postsman posted:

my mom has one of those first gen insights, it's a really neat little car. it's got the CVT and sounds like a spaceship when you accelerate.

the manual ones even had this lean-burn mode where the A:F ratio goes to like 23:1 (regular is 14.7:1) and you could get some crazy high gas mileage that way.

cool. rare car

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i feel like this is illegal. there has to be some law about how far you can stick out past the taillights, right?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

but yea first gen insight is awesome car. i loved them in high school particularly. an OG insight with manual transmission is like, eh, car #3 in my garage when i get the space

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Elder Postsman posted:

crazy how does it do that and not detonate? what kind of gas do they use? does it inject water to cool the mixture or something???

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
can you get it with a stick shift

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

kwinkles posted:

crazy how does it do that and not detonate? what kind of gas do they use? does it inject water to cool the mixture or something???

air to fuel ratio, not compression ratio. it's just super leaned out. insights use regular gas

i assume the reason it doesn't burn the valves is b/c it only enters that mode at extremely low engine load so there's barely any fuel burning in the cylinder anyway.

suffix posted:

can you get it with a stick shift

the insight, yes. the tesla, no.

i think my favorite part about the insight (of many, many cool features) is that the 3cyl engine doesn't have balance shafts. instead, it drives the electric motor in some kind of sinusoidal wave to balance the engine and i still dont' fully understand how that work

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 15, 2016

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

kwinkles posted:

it just takes regular gas afaik.

here is what wikipedia says

quote:

This lean-burn ability by the necessity of the limits of physics, and the chemistry of combustion as it applies to a current gasoline engine must be limited to light load and lower RPM conditions. A "top" speed cut-off point is required since leaner gasoline fuel mixtures burn slower and for power to be produced combustion must be "complete" by the time the exhaust valve opens.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Sagebrush posted:

air to fuel ratio, not compression ratio. it's just super leaned out. insights use regular gas

i assume the reason it doesn't burn the valves is b/c it only enters that mode at extremely low engine load so there's barely any fuel burning in the cylinder anyway.

but a leaner air to fuel ratio will burn hotter, so most cars don't go too high because it will warm everything up and then you blip the throttle and dump more fuel in and suddenly bammo, detonation. i am amazed.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
i found this interesting article on it, where a guy adds a damper to the throttle input to the ecu to get it to stay in lean mode more.

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=112735

neat, i guess it just dumps enough fuel in when you ht the throttle that it cools it off?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

nice boat

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
karmann ghia über alles

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Smythe posted:

karmann ghia über alles

there is a nice one that parks across the street from me:

check my sw9 instagram filter

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

i feel like this is illegal. there has to be some law about how far you can stick out past the taillights, right?

probably, yes, but it's one of those things that local/state cops don't have the knowledge or jurisdiction to deal with unless he's doing something legitimately dangerous, and feds aren't wasting time with some guy sticking cardboard on his car.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

quote:

A New York man says he had high hopes for the Model X, which comes with a 200-plus mile battery range, when he flew to California to pick it up from the company’s factory.

His dreams of driving the car across the country were quickly delayed when he discovered a string of problems.

For starters, he tells Consumer Reports that the “falcon wing” rear doors failed to close properly, and later failed to sense an overhang crashing into it, dinging the door. Next, the driver’s door failed to open from the outside, and that door’s window wouldn’t motor down properly because of a piece of stripping blocking it.

Each of the issues, which occurred at different times, required the man to visit the Tesla factory or a service center in Santa Monica on multiple occasions.

Other issues the man said he later encountered included the car’s curved windshield creating a double vision distortion of oncoming headlights and streetlamp, distracting him and making it difficult to gauge distances.

Finally, the car’s large infotainment system froze several times and the AutoPilot feature became confused on certain roads, requiring the man to take control of the vehicle.

The man’s issues with the car aren’t one-offs. Other owners, who received the first thousand Model Xs, have shared similar complaints on Tesla message boards, including problems with interior trim-piece tolerances, paint-spray quality, malfunctioning second-row seats, sheet-metal panel gaps, and climate control issues.
your plastic suv is a pos https://consumerist.com/2016/04/20/owners-of-teslas-new-model-x-report-doors-wont-close-other-quality-issues/

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

American made suv actually bad, film at 11

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Smythe posted:

Ev1 . I remember. Who Killed The Electric Car, the movie. I remember.

yeah that movie was awful.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
tesla quality has always been terrible, but the community is a bunch of dypers that are immune to any negative talk

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
buick ad on tv now

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

probably, yes, but it's one of those things that local/state cops don't have the knowledge or jurisdiction to deal with unless he's doing something legitimately dangerous, and feds aren't wasting time with some guy sticking cardboard on his car.

i think having a big piece of black material sticking out six feet behind what you perceive at night as the "end" of the car is legitimately dangerous. there's a reason farmers etc. have those little flags hanging off the back of their vehicles

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I was riding behind a pickup truck yesterday and he had a long metal poll hanging out of the back without a little flag on it. the poll was oriented in the bed such that if anyone hit it it would pierce through the back wall of the cabin and through the driver's lower back.

I guess what I'm saying is don't be a dumbass and set yourself up for impalement

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

The Management posted:

the community is a bunch of dypers that are immune to any negative talk

the same sort of people that are really into vr and costume conventions and hand built electronic curios covered in throbbing glowing leds that would exasperate any decent human being

basically, the audience of tested.com

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
The tesla costs a lot of money, but it isn't worth as much as it costs.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I am a Tesla shareholder.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

Which way do you turn the wheel if you go into a skid?

[tesla owner] "uh, if your car starts steering wrong you stomp on the brakes and pull over"

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

[tesla owner] "uh, if your car starts steering wrong you stomp on the brakes and pull over"

It's amazing how stupid these Tesla fanatics are. Jesus Christ they're so basic and stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Smythe posted:

It's amazing how stupid these Tesla fanatics are. Jesus Christ they're so basic and stupid.

personally, i plan on finding a bunch of tesla owners and then i'll beat them up and pull down their pants and underpants to expose their small weiners to their girlfriends and then i will have loads of new girlfriends when the girlfriends see how small their tesla owning boyfriend's ding dongs are

• Locked thread