Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is it a good idea to teach kids social justice in spanish class
gently caress you
this is some :laffo: stuff
:zoid:
social justice is totes good :nutshot:
lol no :secondpost:
you are offending xir feelings and zim will be very upset
the teacher was foolish for doing what she did
that's a hot tamale of a question :boom:
View Results

• Locked thread
TheWeepingHorse
Nov 20, 2009

Hahaha, the sheer presumptuousness of assuming that kids would be cool about writing about their disabilities for irrelevant reasons.

Order the teacher to go through, say, the most cliched Southern debutante-style finishing school. When she complains, tell her that this is what it feels like to be force-fed what random busybodies think is right for other people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWeepingHorse
Nov 20, 2009

My high school Latin textbook had dialogues whose running plot was all about a slave running away. My most vivid memories from Latin class were 1) a video about Pompeii, in which the hapless residents shouted "PUMICUM!" as they were burned by fiery rains of pumice, 2) discussion of Priapus, and 3) references to the First and Second Defenestrations of Prague.

TheWeepingHorse
Nov 20, 2009

Lumping together wildly disparate religions while hair-splitting sexual categories was the whitest, most First World thing she could have possible done

And yeah, why the gently caress was this not in Spanish

TheWeepingHorse
Nov 20, 2009

Cockmaster posted:

On the other hand, the problem with "Some of these things should be taught at home" is that there are so many parents would teach their kids to be bigoted shitbags towards anyone who isn't 100% heterosexual, 100% cisgender, and the same religion as them.

Certainly true, and certainly a problem, but stunts like that have nothing to do with a solution. Kids are often raised on poor diets and without enough exercise, but that wouldn't be an excuse to force kids in a French class to keep a diary of their BMI. It's categorically inappropriate to turn a French class into that kind of project - it takes time away from, well, French, and also it's a personal intrusion. It would be doubly inappropriate if the views on diet and exercise were heavily skewed by a particularly small-minded read of a particular ideology. (I "believe" in privilege and so on, but I have no faith that that Spanish teacher would deal with the concept in a correct manner.)

And for all that, that inappropriateness has nothing to do with the general importance otherwise of proper diet and exercise. It's not a commentary on diet and exercise. It's just a question of whether or not you are teaching French class, or pretending that being a teacher means that you just plain own kids for 90 minutes a day, during which time those children are yours to mold however you see fit.

TheWeepingHorse
Nov 20, 2009

Ork of Fiction posted:

That's because you actually have to be a part of the jewish community to be able to take advantage of the support network that it provides.

Bwuh? Why would anybody think that Hasidim are the ones with power among the Jews, let alone at all representative of Jews as a whole?

TheWeepingHorse
Nov 20, 2009

As long as we're agreed that nobody gives much of a poo poo about the Hasidim. Those guys aren't the ones with wealth and power, unless you're really into really specific parts of Williamsburg real estate, and even then, many (if not most?) Hasidim are actually quite poor and highly isolated. My family always regarded them as toxic space aliens - being connected with Hasidim would mark you as somebody to *avoid*. Which, I guess, is sort of my point: your average Jewy-looking motherfucker has more and better professional connections than your average Hasid. Not all Jews, and not all Jewish communities, are equally well-connected. And to the limited extent that I myself have ever had any Jewish connections, they've never appeared any more dramatic than, say, my wife's Chinese connections.

TheWeepingHorse
Nov 20, 2009

One of my best friends growing up is the child of Spanish immigrants. It was always cringey when people would try to correct her (or me) to say "Hispanic", instead of "Spanish". No, you dumb gently caress, there is a place called Spain, and her parents are from there. No, her skin is not brown. Yes, she is a native speaker of Spanish.

Likewise, my brother-in-law is Mexican, as in, he is from Mexico. More than a few people have pulled the Michael Scott thing of acting as if "Mexican" is a slur.

TheWeepingHorse
Nov 20, 2009

In ultra-white Polish-Italian rural-suburbia in the US, nobody has firsthand experience of anything else. They probably assumed that Spanish-speakers are generally brown, therefore Spanish people must also be generally brown. The idea that Spaniards are just as European as Poles and Italians never really entered into it. Likewise, these same people were dimly aware that most Spanish-speakers do not self-identify as being Spanish - however, they never really figured out that that was because Spain is just one of many places where people speak Spanish. This idea somehow got distorted into the idea that, like, I dunno, "Spanish" was an outmoded term or identity, like being Prussian. I dunno. On the one hand, I can see why people wouldn't want kids to automatically assume that all Spanish-speakers are Spanish, but at the same time, it's stupid to butt in to "correct" them, especially when it turns out that they're right and you're wrong.

It wasn't a huge thing, but it happened regularly enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWeepingHorse
Nov 20, 2009

That privilege worksheet might be a lame troll, but there are many sincere attempts to mathematify privilege:

http://www.autostraddle.com/rebel-girls-mapping-power-privilege-and-oppression-254794/

It's the kind of thing where I sincerely, unironically believe that everybody would be better off if they understood the concept of what it means to have privilege, BUT, it's loving stupid to reify the concept or to assume that, say, "white" is even a uniform category to begin with or to confuse group effects with individual situations or to mistake the map for the territory, etc. etc. etc.

• Locked thread