Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OmniCorp
Oct 30, 2004

Any recommendations on a 60+, could grow to 100 seat office phone system? We might be upgrading from the Allworx system we have in place now. We have a SIP trunk and a PRI for faxes, but PRI could go away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

OmniCorp posted:

Any recommendations on a 60+, could grow to 100 seat office phone system? We might be upgrading from the Allworx system we have in place now. We have a SIP trunk and a PRI for faxes, but PRI could go away.

What are your needs?

Do you need conferencing? Video?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

OmniCorp posted:

How many locations?

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Ya'all are asking the wrong question

How much are you willing to spend?

OmniCorp
Oct 30, 2004

Just one location but could expand to a second. 2-3 conference rooms. Need ability to host conference calls. No video, cost not an issue. Having phones that easily work at home would be a plus.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Fuze?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
if cost is not an issue, would you be willing to hire me as a consultant for the project?

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Pretty normal usage requests, so nothing jumps out as an obvious choice

Mitel: has the conference system built in for setting up and hosting(dial-in, PINs, etc), remote phones are easy, options for hot desking/users with phones at home and office, able to link systems or use one and setup the other side as remote phones. Assuming for your conf rooms you have polycoms or something similar which is no problem(either analog or SIP). Runs on mitel hardware, standard servers, or even as a VM, or as a hosted solution. Systems would be the MiVoice Business, used to be the MCD/3300
Toshiba is similar but items like the conferencing are addons. Runs on dedicated equipment or as a hosted solution. This would be the IPedge(hardware) or VIPedge(hosted)
Allworx has a recent system out that goes upto 180 users but that's new since I left the last place I was at, was still working on the 6x and 48x lines

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin
You can use pretty much anything, depends on your cost etc.

Mitel is a good solid solution that will cost a bit more.
Shoretel loving sucks, don't use them ever.
Cisco is going to cost you a mint and the conferencing requires a blood sacrifice to understand.
Depending on your Microsoft EA (if you have one) a standard Lync Enterprise Voice solution will also work just fine.

Mitel is probably the best bet for your needs until you guys already have Lync and you'd just be adding an SBC.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

DigitalMocking posted:

Shoretel loving sucks, don't use them ever.

Since when does Shoretel suck?

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Moey posted:

Since when does Shoretel suck?

I hope you're kidding.

Poor support, no ability to contact Shoretel directly when you do have an issue, forcing expensive 3rd party support contracts, Non-standard SIP implementation, poo poo handsets (I'm looking at you 2xx series), no ability to syslog on the 50v series, and when the log buffer fills up the box reboots or just freezes up, the T1k is ok in the US, but its a complete clusterfuck for T1/E1/PRI lines outside of the US and inside the US losing your D channel signalling is just something that's super fun and does happen several times a year without cause. Their VPN concentrator box for their non-standard SIP deployment on the 2x0 series can bite my rear end as well.

Oh, and the price/performance of the shoretel conferencing system is also poo poo compared to everyone else.

There, I think that covers it.

But I'm sure NEXT year's update will make it all better, just sign here for a software assurance contract please.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
We acquired some branches that had shoretel phones and they worked just fine as configured, but getting support was a pain in the rear end. We replaced it with Cisco and saved a bunch of money on support.

That should be all you need to know.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If replacing anything with Cisco saved you money, I'm prepared to write that product off entirely.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

If replacing anything with Cisco saved you money, I'm prepared to write that product off entirely.
The previous institution was behind 2 years on support, and we had to get current by paying the back years plus a year of future. Replacing their 60 or so phones with cisco (which included 3 ISRs) was less expensive.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

gently caress vendors that decide to backdate support payments to get covered. You provided absolutely gently caress all for two years (as the support wasn't in place), eat a dick trying to charge for it.

It's the sort of practise that would make me switch suppliers out of spite.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Sonicwall is the same way...

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you let a Sonicwall device fall out of support and stay out for longer than a year, then when you apply a one-year license and support renewal you get the full term.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The MSP I used to work for recommended ShoreTel's cloud product for SMBs and nobody ever really had problems with it, I think people generally find their on-prem stuff to be the nightmare.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
What about Avaya's IPOffice product? I am guessing that the main problem is if you have that kind of money you can just buy phones made of pure gold.
edit for spelling

Morganus_Starr
Jan 28, 2001

stevewm posted:

Barracuda does this poo poo too, it's obnoxious. I wasn't using your Energize Updates (fancy word for software/definition updates) for 14 months at all, why backdate it? Oh you want me to switch vendors? Gladly.

I mean I get backdating a hardware warranty for a 3 year old piece of hardware so you can't skip out on the hardware warranty cost and just re-up it later down the line and get a "Free" replacement when a unit fails, but the backdating of software updates annoys me.

Fortinet does this too with their UTM renewals on their Fortigate units - a workaround is you can typically order a 2 or 3 year renewal and they'll start the UTM license term when you apply it, versus backdating it to your lapsed support period.

Anyway /derail over

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

OmniCorp posted:

We might be upgrading from the Allworx system we have in place now. We have a SIP trunk and a PRI for faxes, but PRI could go away.
Allworx is horrible too. They do everything through VAR installers, and every installer I've run into so far did a cut & run leaving a smoldering pile of garbage and tears in their wake. I actually lost a PRI customer because their Allworx box kept crashing/rebooting on its own. They went back to an AT&T PRI contract, and surprise, the Allworx box still rebooted. But the VAR was an idiot so that customer just got to eat a new, longer, more expensive contract.

OmniCorp posted:

Any recommendations on a 60+, could grow to 100 seat office phone system?
This...

OmniCorp posted:

Just one location but could expand to a second. 2-3 conference rooms. Need ability to host conference calls. No video, cost not an issue. Having phones that easily work at home would be a plus.
Plus this = Just subscribe to a hosted voip solution from a major provider or direct from your ISP if they offer it. You don't want to host a conference bridge on-site in hardware let alone hosting multiple conference bridges. If you have remote tele-workers, you don't want their phones to be dependent on your office's internet access. Let all of that poo poo be somebody else's problem.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 2, 2016

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

SubjectVerbObject posted:

What about Avaya's IPOffice product? I am guessing that the main problem is if you have that kind of money you can just buy phones made of pure gold.
edit for spelling

gently caress Avaya, their poo poo is garbage. Bad handsets, poor feature set, pain in the rear end to manage.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Maneki Neko posted:

gently caress Avaya, their poo poo is garbage. Bad handsets, poor feature set, pain in the rear end to manage.

Oh I know. I support Avaya stuff at the call center level. It always seemed to be that IPOffice and the small business stuff was always a stepchild that they didn't know what to do with.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

DigitalMocking posted:

I hope you're kidding.

Woof, never had any issues like that. When I managed it, it was in a smaller environment (300 regular users, 50 seat call center).

Our reseller was pretty solid, never had any issues with their support either.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

stevewm posted:

If nothing changed since I quoted them 3+ years ago, they backdate support up to a 1 year max. After that, you just lose a year. Unless you buy 3 years upfront - that forgives the backdate and gives you the full term.

Vendors do it to get rid of the loophole of "only buy support when poo poo breaks," so they don't lose money.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

KillHour posted:

Vendors do it to get rid of the loophole of "only buy support when poo poo breaks," so they don't lose money.

Seems like it'd upset their customers a lot less if they changed to a policy of "ok you can resume support, but any support incidents you file in the first 12 months come at a surcharge equal to the support cost for the 12 month period preceding the incident that you haven't already paid for".

Get new support and file an incident right away? That's a 12 month surcharge. Go 11 months before filing an incident? You only have to pay one month's surcharge. Let your support lapse for 3 months, then have an incident right after you re-up it? That's a 3 month surcharge.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is anyone using Cisco Spark for voice calls? We need to throw our barely functioning on-premise PBX at some point and as an iOS shop for corporate devices I'm interested in the "first class citizen" that VoIP apps are going to be in iOS 10. And Cisco are the first people to have announced that they are going to be working with Apple on this, which is appealing.

Or do people think that any non-poo poo vendor is going to get on board with support?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

biznatchio posted:

Seems like it'd upset their customers a lot less if they changed to a policy of "ok you can resume support, but any support incidents you file in the first 12 months come at a surcharge equal to the support cost for the 12 month period preceding the incident that you haven't already paid for".

Get new support and file an incident right away? That's a 12 month surcharge. Go 11 months before filing an incident? You only have to pay one month's surcharge. Let your support lapse for 3 months, then have an incident right after you re-up it? That's a 3 month surcharge.

Then it would just piss customers off that had an issue and expected support to cover it when their sales rep didn't properly explain that to them.

Also, it would make everyone else's support contract price go up. Support is like insurance. Companies calculate the cost expecting the times you have it and don't need it to offset their outlay when they need to fix your poo poo.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Asterisk is great if you're not relying on it for a paycheck. i run a small raspi board at home for some phones so i can sit on conference calls without burning my ear up, and I also do a lot of experimentation using the app_rpt plugin for Asterisk, which interfaces it to various two-way and ham radios. I can fire off touch tones over the air and it'll pipe back with a speech synth'd weather report or a slow-scan TV image of a webcam. And of course you can link it with other radio nodes via IAX.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Jonny 290 posted:

Asterisk is great if you're not relying on it for a paycheck. i run a small raspi board at home for some phones so i can sit on conference calls without burning my ear up, and I also do a lot of experimentation using the app_rpt plugin for Asterisk, which interfaces it to various two-way and ham radios. I can fire off touch tones over the air and it'll pipe back with a speech synth'd weather report or a slow-scan TV image of a webcam. And of course you can link it with other radio nodes via IAX.
I run a 200 node fax to email gateway on asterisk (well elastix, but same diff). Very successful and it saved at least 5 digits of currency.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Has anyone messed with the Meraki MC74? I got my NFR model yesterday and it's kind of nifty, but I can't do anything serious with it because the Systems Manager can't upload 50-100k files for the IVR recordings.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

1st AD posted:

Has anyone messed with the Meraki MC74? I got my NFR model yesterday and it's kind of nifty, but I can't do anything serious with it because the Systems Manager can't upload 50-100k files for the IVR recordings.

Get that through a partner program or one of their webinar deals? We're a partner and the handset prices seem cuckoo, but the overall service options seem reasonable.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 21, 2016

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Yeah through Ingram Micro - NFR is like 1/3 of our normal vendor cost.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

adorai posted:

I run a 200 node fax to email gateway on asterisk (well elastix, but same diff). Very successful and it saved at least 5 digits of currency.

Care to elaborate on this some more?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Moey posted:

Care to elaborate on this some more?
I can elaborate some. Elastix (an asterix linux distro) has all the functionality built in. I have a sip trunk to the elastix box from my cisco call manager, and I create IAX extensions for any user that wants a DID fax number. I then tie that to a fax modem in elastix, and define an email address for the user. Call comes in to DID, routes to elastix, routes to IAX extension, routes to fax modem, turns into email with TIFF attached. it took about 15 minutes to go from reading about elastix to proof of concept, and that was 4 or 5 years ago. It's gotta be even easier today.

edit: calls that come in from our internet based sip trunk sometimes fail, but the vast majority (at least 99.5%) complete on the first retry). Our T1 calls are virtually 100% successful.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

DigitalMocking posted:

I hope you're kidding.

Poor support, no ability to contact Shoretel directly when you do have an issue, forcing expensive 3rd party support contracts, Non-standard SIP implementation, poo poo handsets (I'm looking at you 2xx series), no ability to syslog on the 50v series, and when the log buffer fills up the box reboots or just freezes up, the T1k is ok in the US, but its a complete clusterfuck for T1/E1/PRI lines outside of the US and inside the US losing your D channel signalling is just something that's super fun and does happen several times a year without cause. Their VPN concentrator box for their non-standard SIP deployment on the 2x0 series can bite my rear end as well.

Oh, and the price/performance of the shoretel conferencing system is also poo poo compared to everyone else.

There, I think that covers it.

But I'm sure NEXT year's update will make it all better, just sign here for a software assurance contract please.

The 480 series handsets seem pretty good. I like them better than the Cisco sets I dealt with several years ago, and there's absolutely no comparison with the dogshit Avaya phones we had. My only gripe with the 480s is they take forever to boot up.

I do have gripes with Shoretel, though. I'm not a fan of their SG90 phone switches, and the SG90-V is a bad joke; they offer virtual switches, which seem fairly solid, but for some reason vendors sure like to keep pushing the physical hardware. And Shoretel Communicator is hot garbage, especially if you try to use it as a softphone as it loves to mysteriously break at random.

SubjectVerbObject posted:

edit for spelling

Put it this way: I work in an office that went from Avaya IP Office to Shoretel, and the Shoretel system was tremendously better.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

adorai posted:

I can elaborate some. Elastix (an asterix linux distro) has all the functionality built in. I have a sip trunk to the elastix box from my cisco call manager, and I create IAX extensions for any user that wants a DID fax number. I then tie that to a fax modem in elastix, and define an email address for the user. Call comes in to DID, routes to elastix, routes to IAX extension, routes to fax modem, turns into email with TIFF attached. it took about 15 minutes to go from reading about elastix to proof of concept, and that was 4 or 5 years ago. It's gotta be even easier today.

edit: calls that come in from our internet based sip trunk sometimes fail, but the vast majority (at least 99.5%) complete on the first retry). Our T1 calls are virtually 100% successful.

This sounds pretty cool. I am getting sick managing our poo poo fax environment. It is a mix of pots lines, lines spit out via VG224 and then a bunch of ATA187/SPA112 hidden under desks and whatnot.

Edit: Are you sending faxes through Elastix as well?

Moey fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 22, 2016

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Moey posted:

This sounds pretty cool. I am getting sick managing our poo poo fax environment. It is a mix of pots lines, lines spit out via VG224 and then a bunch of ATA187/SPA112 hidden under desks and whatnot.

Edit: Are you sending faxes through Elastix as well?

You can but I don't. They just use the fax at the branch which shares a line with the Alarm.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

adorai posted:

You can but I don't. They just use the fax at the branch which shares a line with the Alarm.

FaxOIP - gently caress you it's 2016 just send me a dropbox link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
(Yes, I know it's a compliance issue on most cases)

• Locked thread