Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

FaxOIP - gently caress you it's 2016 just send me a dropbox link

FoIP is for suckers. Adorai's got it about as close as you can reasonably get but even still he's falling back to POTS for outbound fax transmission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Let's see if i can get Elastix to play nicely with CUCM....without breaking the phone system in the process.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I have my Asterisk server set up and everything is working (mostly) fine.

One small issue I'm running into is that every so often, instead of Asterisk showing the incoming call from (for example) number "555-1234", it will show it as "SIP 1".

"SIP 1" happens to be the the ID I've assigned to this SIP trunk in my provider's web platform
(ie: my trunks are managed from my provider's web platform, and the platform requires me to have a "User" which is basically my phone number, and a an "ID" which is basically an identifier for the trunk.)

Without doing IP lookups, I'm almost 100% sure that this is happening on calls coming in from callers that use my same SIP provider.

Looking at the Asterisk logfile the most relevant information I can see is this:
code:
[2016-06-30 16:11:59] VERBOSE[23596][C-000000d3] res_agi.c: dialparties.agi: Caller ID name is 'SIP 1' number is '5551234'
Phones that receive the call show the caller as "SIP 1", and I want it to show "5551234".
I'm guessing this is probably a fuckup on my provider's side which is probably processing SIP invites in the worst possible manner.

Is there any setting in Asterisk I can add that will make it ignore the Caller ID and just use the number?

Edit: just so it's clear, "5551234" is not my number, it is the caller's number. "SIP 1", however, is the ID of my trunk in my provider's web platform.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 30, 2016

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Does anyone have phone service from Time Warner Cable? Right now we have an Arris box with what looks like a centronics connector going to a 66 block. It has a single yellow ethernet port that I haven't been able to find anything about.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

thebigcow posted:

Does anyone have phone service from Time Warner Cable? Right now we have an Arris box with what looks like a centronics connector going to a 66 block. It has a single yellow ethernet port that I haven't been able to find anything about.

Those are the typical modems provided by most cable companies for business phone service. They are usually for phone use only, the Ethernet port will often be disabled or only for local management.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Anyone ever seen a phone, specifically Shortel, stop working over the handset but work over the speaker? I figured PoE but nope, and apparently Shoretel says it's a QoS issue. Lo and behold QoS is misconfigured, but could that really cause some bizarre issue with handsets vs speakers?,

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've seen it happen but it's just meant the handset or the cable is hosed.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Has nothing to do with cables, phones, etc.. If phone is moved it functions normally. Degradation occurs on some ports over the course of a week or two.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Any recommendations for full hosted VoIP?

4 locations, NYC, LA, London, Paris. Employees per office is 30, 10,10, 10 in that order.

We're looking for iPhone/Android app/Windows/OSX softphones only so people's extensions follow them.

In NY we'd need a receptionist console.

I honestly have no idea where to begin. We're rolling out Google Apps so I'm kind of thinking of picking the best option per location and just telling people to use Hangouts for inter office calls (like our current extension VTL setup on an ancient 3com NBX setup).

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Fuze is good

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Thanks Ants posted:

Fuze is good

Looks pretty good, kind of frustrated their website doesn't give pricing. Also a lit of their offerings seem kind of redundant with GSuite/Hangouts being implemented for us. I put in a request for contact from their sales team so fingers crossed.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I don't think I've ever seen a business oriented service give out prices on their website*

Caveat: really big players, Google et al.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
How prolific are hosted VOIP products with built in user monitoring suites and reporting interface?

There's a bit of a shitstorm brewing since despite hating everything about our old host they want its features back. Before everything was cloud/software based with the hardware just being an end-point of sorts, there would be a CRM applet staff would log into to make calls and control their user state (Ready, Out to lunch etc) which would feedback into an integrated reporting interface, but it didn't quite properly integrate with our IP phones leaving some janky issues.

Now the host we have now is more hardware based where the phones fully connect to the service, however there is almost zero user state control and minimal reporting (They would have to use the softphone interface to control their state). Despite the main goal from the big cheese to save money (previous host was hideously expensive) a main department is claiming they literally cannot function without the previous functionality.

I'm just honestly curious how common functions like these are and if it's more of a "You get what you pay for" kinda deal.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Anyone know of a reputable Online Fax service?

Need to fax some sensitive data to the US and while I know fax is poo poo for security, I'd rather not just use the first result off Google.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-avaya-bankruptcy-idUSKBN1532JY

As someone who works close to a team that deal with this company, can't say I'm surprised. They treat their partners like poo poo and the quality of the product documentation is appalling.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
This is probably a long shot, but is there anyone out there who has hooked up a Yealink phone with a VPN?

I'm having a hell of a time getting home working VOIP operations up and running, and my hope was using these phones since they support OpenVPN as recommended by our VOIP host... but they can't actually assist with the setup beyond configuring the phones.

I haven't had much time to spend on this but I spent the last hour of the day setting up the OpenVPN hyper-v appliance, but I'm assuming I need to at least get an external IP/domain to route through and open up relevant firewall ports, then bundle the client.crt/client.key/ca.crt into a .tar to upload to the phone?

I mean I've hosed around with OpenVPN on a raspberry pi and my mobile phone, but that was a whole lot simpler in comparison.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I haven't done it yet but that is near the top of my to-do list to play with. I have OpenVPN set up at my house and a few examples of both the T2x and T4x lines so I might tinker with it this weekend if I get bored. Any specific questions or just looking for an example config to follow?

edit: Unrelated FYI, if you have a Polycom phone with a MAC that doesn't start in 64167F rather than 0004F2 make sure you're running 4.0.10revD or newer.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Just kind of a bare-bones guide really, my google-fu lead me to a few guides but they all slightly differ in some way. At the very least I've got a VM set up but not the connectivity, and the keys etc I think need generating but the web interface is a bit vague so I'm guessing the meat of things need to be done in CLI.

With the rasp pi I basically just ran the http://www.pivpn.io/ command, generated a user, fetched the .opvn key file and slapped it onto my mobile for the OpenVPN client app to read.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
I love Yealink phones.

That said, their VPN client is 100% garbage. Don't bother trying to get it to work.

I've got a small business client I still support who wanted a phone at home. They're 100% google apps, so everything is in the cloud except for their PBX, which is an old on-site asterisk box. I set up a Yealink at his house using a raspberry pi with an extra USB nic as his openVPN endpoint and just routed the phone through the pi, works fine. Haven't talked to him in 8 months so it's either still working or he's dead.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I just recycled a bunch of yealink phones. One of our tenants bailed and left behind about 10. Guess I should have kept them.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

adorai posted:

I just recycled a bunch of yealink phones. One of our tenants bailed and left behind about 10. Guess I should have kept them.

If they were T2x phones they're not worth all that much, though they're still decent if ugly phones. T4x are my current favorite line of VoIP phones on the market, especially the new T4xS models.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Yeah their audio quality is on par with polycom minus the brain dead provisioning syntax.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

CrazyLittle posted:

Yeah their audio quality is on par with polycom minus the brain dead provisioning syntax.

Audio is about 97% the same on headset or handset, but Polycom's speakerphones are still worlds better than the competition. My Yealink T46S is my favorite day-to-day phone right now but if I know I'm going to be using speakerphone for something I switch over to my Polycom VVX400.

Which one are you calling brain dead? Yealink's is a pretty straightforward plaintext config file and Polycom's is XML Polycom's parser is a bit weird and the format of their example configs takes advantage of that weirdness, but they are valid XML that you can both generate and parse with standard XML libraries.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Polycom's XML format is bad. They made it with the intent of having a singular config that applies to all poly soundpoint phones, but it doesn't work that way. I still end up with a ton of tiny fixes here and there for models and firmwares where the customers BYOD.

Also the VVX series is kind of a joke, their android fork is kneecapped, and their companion software is barely functional if you can keep it connected to the deskset at all.

wolrah posted:

Audio is about 97% the same on headset or handset, but Polycom's speakerphones are still worlds better than the competition.

... and then there's Cisco.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Has anyone made the jump from Asterisk to 3CX, or more accurately, from Elastix 4 to Elastix 5? Is 3CX needs-suiting for your setup?

I toyed with 3CX in a VM and considered migrating to it, but I was actually a little put off by how simple and configuration-free it was compared to Asterisk.

By the way, there is no problem with my Asterisk config. The uptime is measured in months and only changes when I periodically have CentOS update. Asterisk also does everything I need it to sufficiently. But the interface, even in Elastix is horrendous, and my job may not always have someone like me who wants to mess about with software as complex as Asterisk. Which is why I wondered if 3CX would be a nice move towards a more simple setup?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

CrazyLittle posted:

Polycom's XML format is bad. They made it with the intent of having a singular config that applies to all poly soundpoint phones, but it doesn't work that way. I still end up with a ton of tiny fixes here and there for models and firmwares where the customers BYOD.
Weird. I use literally the same config template for everything on 4.0 or later, and the old 3.x phones will still take those configs but they take longer to process and throw a ton of warnings while doing it.

quote:

Also the VVX series is kind of a joke, their android fork is kneecapped, and their companion software is barely functional if you can keep it connected to the deskset at all.
Are you trying to say the VVX series uses Android? They run Linux for sure but I haven't seen any evidence that Android is hiding in there anywhere. It's been a while since I used a VVX1500 but the UI elements on the touchscreen models made me think Qt more than any of the Android variants. The non-touch models don't really expose any UI elements that haven't been Polycom themed so there's not much to judge there. I'm not saying they don't run Android, just that if it does they did a really good job hiding it.

Agreed about the companion software, I've literally never had it work.

quote:

... and then there's Cisco.
Who for years rebranded Polycom's conference room phones as their own. Cisco's desktop phone speakers are pretty drat good though, at least on their flagship line. The SPA series, not so much. Back when the 7940/60 were still relevant those were our go-to standard for companies that weren't willing to spend the money for a proper conference phone, until the Polycom SPIP550 came out.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Trio 8800 runs Android, that's about it as far as I know.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thanks Ants posted:

The Trio 8800 runs Android, that's about it as far as I know.

Ah, yea that definitely is Android underneath based on the screenshots, no way they accidentally copied Google's look and feel that well.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

DigitalMocking posted:

That said, their VPN client is 100% garbage. Don't bother trying to get it to work.
Aww man don't say that, besides that I'm still smashing myself against OpenVPN. Using the ready made VHD they offer I can't make any headway in getting a test connection working, and with any github easy setup scripts out there I can't find where they store the key and cert files.

It's annoying because at home it's a piece of piss, PiVPN > Open firewall > SFTP the keyfile > Boom done.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
Out of curiosity - I run a PBX that does accept remote SIP so people's cellphones can have SIP clients ring at the same time as their desk extension does, plus road warriors.

Constantly getting bruteforce attempts on it, that fail2ban promptly blackholes.

Anyone know what they're actually intending to do? Are these forwarders for tech support scams, shady calling-card companies or something? I'm trying to wrap my head around why anyone gives a poo poo about stealing VoIP when it's so cheap to buy it to begin with.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

They're trying to register on your system and place calls to revenue-generating numbers that they have control of

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Thanks Ants posted:

They're trying to register on your system and place calls to revenue-generating numbers that they have control of

Oh jesus, that was a scam back in the 80s, I'm (not) shocked that it hasn't been cracked down on.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Most of the successful attacks I've seen on my customers have tried to pass international calls through our system. One of the times where my boss redirected the calls to his phone it turned out to be some calling card thing. The attackers had hacked some west coast dentist's PBX fully and were routing calls through one of his unused numbers out a trunk they had pointed at my customer's insecure system, where they were then having it dial a number in some Pacific island country I don't recall where they could then dial through to their actual destination.

Our best guess is it was a fully automated attack, because our system plays an audio error message rather than just rejecting the call so it would have looked like the international call succeeded.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

wolrah posted:

Are you trying to say the VVX series uses Android?

I could have sworn they did because when the VVX500 was first released, we got one for a lab sample and I distinctly remember developer documentation talking about android and APKs. But I can't find any of that info anymore so I must have been thinking of something else

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Harik posted:

Out of curiosity - I run a PBX that does accept remote SIP so people's cellphones can have SIP clients ring at the same time as their desk extension does, plus road warriors.

Constantly getting bruteforce attempts on it, that fail2ban promptly blackholes.

Anyone know what they're actually intending to do? Are these forwarders for tech support scams, shady calling-card companies or something? I'm trying to wrap my head around why anyone gives a poo poo about stealing VoIP when it's so cheap to buy it to begin with.

Saw this on one of my mitels that I was adding sip trunks to. Just try after try after try to register a sip extension. All random extensions all getting 403forbidden

There were about 5 different ips they came from. China or Russia I forget which internet hellhole they were from.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

As mentioned before they may be looking for open registrations or easy to guess ones (usually I don't see them bother to try and register they just place calls), or an agent that's open that will permit their call to complete somewhere, if it does , then try often seem to try and get their calls to go through to a mailbox or do something they can break out of.

I would not expect anyone to be wasting their time dialing random extensions@ip trying to reach you for a scam but who knows.

You can block attempts or just let them do nothing and fail out, I've never seen the scanning really get _more_ aggressive because something responded. If your PBX responds with what it is, then there is a shot they can exploit it. I installed Trixbox years ago and it was hacked in like ... an hour, just installing a Live CD to see what was up.

BTW these things still come by in H.323 as well as SIP.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Partycat posted:

As mentioned before they may be looking for open registrations or easy to guess ones (usually I don't see them bother to try and register they just place calls), or an agent that's open that will permit their call to complete somewhere, if it does , then try often seem to try and get their calls to go through to a mailbox or do something they can break out of.

I would not expect anyone to be wasting their time dialing random extensions@ip trying to reach you for a scam but who knows.

You can block attempts or just let them do nothing and fail out, I've never seen the scanning really get _more_ aggressive because something responded. If your PBX responds with what it is, then there is a shot they can exploit it. I installed Trixbox years ago and it was hacked in like ... an hour, just installing a Live CD to see what was up.

BTW these things still come by in H.323 as well as SIP.

I got nailed once when I first setup VoIP - although it was some idiot adding an easy-to-guess extension password rather an exploit. Getting fail2ban working on the logfiles properly took some doing but it's nice seeing it shut attacks down fast.

There was some sort of pager/notification callback exploit on an actual analog PBX I had the misfortune of dealing with once, that was exciting. I can't even remember what the hell it was, except expensive as poo poo and dumped on my lap with no service contract, documentation or support.

No backoff so they hammered PIN extensions until they got in and setup some forwarding. The $10k phone bill cost a lot more than they saved not getting a support contract for it.

Charter/spectrum has started molesting SIP traffic, has anyone else seen that? The packets arrive, but they're rewritten to come from some not-us address, then
it fails to forward the RTP to me. I'll contact support about it but it would be nice to have something specific to tell them other than "My VoIP with not-you doesn't work anymore".

I "fixed" it by using a third-party VPN, but that adds audible latency.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
Here's something we're dealing with right now;

We have 3 domestic SIP circuits through our LEC, Electric Lightwave. These are SIP connections only, no internet access on the 5 meg circuits.

About 5 weeks ago I get a call from their fraud department that they were seeing a bunch of calls being made to the Seychelle Islands at 6pm at night. I told them to turn off international calling and I'd investigate when I got home 3 hours later.

Turns out someone screwed up the circuits and opened 2 of the 3 up to the internet so our SBC got used as a relay. Yes, it was bad on me to not have backup firewall rules in place, but please don't randomly open my poo poo to the internet. Turns out the tech didn't know how to shut down international calling so he just let it go for 3 hours. We racked up 14,000 minutes of international calls for about 12k.

We're still fighting with them over the bill.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Normally if you manage your own border, you are on your own for fraud charges like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Find a new provider. Not being able to timely shut down fraud is amazingly incompetent. We can go from event to detection to shutdown in single digit minutes if the stars align.

• Locked thread