Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BigPaddy posted:

Even if you ignore everyone having a mobile a decent voip system is nice for screen sharing and what not. Of course there are plenty of lovely ones out there, looking at you Cisco. Best one I have used is Skype for business which is shocking that MS didn't gently caress it up.

My company's Skype for business deployment is a clusterfuck and we all hate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If replacing anything with Cisco saved you money, I'm prepared to write that product off entirely.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

stevewm posted:

Sonicwall is the same way...

If nothing changed since I quoted them 3+ years ago, they backdate support up to a 1 year max. After that, you just lose a year. Unless you buy 3 years upfront - that forgives the backdate and gives you the full term.

Vendors do it to get rid of the loophole of "only buy support when poo poo breaks," so they don't lose money.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

biznatchio posted:

Seems like it'd upset their customers a lot less if they changed to a policy of "ok you can resume support, but any support incidents you file in the first 12 months come at a surcharge equal to the support cost for the 12 month period preceding the incident that you haven't already paid for".

Get new support and file an incident right away? That's a 12 month surcharge. Go 11 months before filing an incident? You only have to pay one month's surcharge. Let your support lapse for 3 months, then have an incident right after you re-up it? That's a 3 month surcharge.

Then it would just piss customers off that had an issue and expected support to cover it when their sales rep didn't properly explain that to them.

Also, it would make everyone else's support contract price go up. Support is like insurance. Companies calculate the cost expecting the times you have it and don't need it to offset their outlay when they need to fix your poo poo.

• Locked thread