Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Thanks Ants posted:

I've just had an email that one of our tenants has been accepted for the Skype for Business PSTN Calling trial (we're in the UK so it only just got here).

Is anyone else using / testing this out as a replacement for a phone system? Any tips on what to avoid?

I beta tested it on a fairly small scale and had no issues with it. How big is your organization?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Moey posted:

Looks like Meraki is getting into the VOIP game.

https://meraki.cisco.com/products/communications

Their initial provider is offering (what seems to me) to be fairly inexpensive service compared to the competition. I'm not sure if they've publicly revealed pricing yet (we're a partner), but the handset is certainly a premium item right now, hopefully they offer cheaper options down the road.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

SubjectVerbObject posted:

What about Avaya's IPOffice product? I am guessing that the main problem is if you have that kind of money you can just buy phones made of pure gold.
edit for spelling

gently caress Avaya, their poo poo is garbage. Bad handsets, poor feature set, pain in the rear end to manage.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

1st AD posted:

Has anyone messed with the Meraki MC74? I got my NFR model yesterday and it's kind of nifty, but I can't do anything serious with it because the Systems Manager can't upload 50-100k files for the IVR recordings.

Get that through a partner program or one of their webinar deals? We're a partner and the handset prices seem cuckoo, but the overall service options seem reasonable.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 21, 2016

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

beergod posted:

I'm starting a law firm with two offices in two different cities in the same state. I want the person calling in to get a cool message and be able to press "1" for office A and "2" for office B regardless of which office he or she called. I'd also like to be able to route to my cell phone if necessary. We are also heavily invested in the Office 365 infrastructure, so any integration with Skype for Business or whatever would be cool because I am a tech dork.

I have a VOIP landline through my ISP (Spectrum) and the other office currently has no landline.

Which service will do what I want? I was looking at Grasshopper but saw some p.bad reviews. Any advice is much appreciated.

Microsoft offers VOIP service through office 365 that you might want to look at. They've been adding more features recently including auto attendant.

https://products.office.com/en-us/skype-for-business/cloud-pbx

I did some beta testing of their cloud pbx/PSTN calling features and it seemed very easy to use and deal with, but didn't do anything particularly advanced with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Super Slash posted:

That sounds like an utterly amazing quality of life thing.

Also I suppose this is a big question but what the gently caress are you supposed to do about extending business VOIP to home users? I've tried everything I could think of but call quality remains lovely despite working correctly, at the moment a home user can only use an RDP session to access company resources and the one last thing I haven't tried is getting the office router QoS set to prioritise RDP traffic. My networking knowledge isn't that fantastic so I don't know if prioritising RDP traffic would negatively affect the office VOIP, which would be a big problem since we're a contact center.

The only options I can think of to get this off the ground are;
- Install business WAN links to every home workers house
- Replace RDP with VPN but doesn't really change things from a QoS point of view
- Install business grade routers, questionable if ISPs are compatible

Assuming you are talking about dumbos with satellite or something, vpn with no qos has always been good enough for us when it comes to remote workers and voip.

• Locked thread