Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
I just wanted to say that as a network guy who's been forced to become our VOIP guy, the thread title caused a small tear to show up in the corner of my eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

OmniCorp posted:

Any recommendations on a 60+, could grow to 100 seat office phone system? We might be upgrading from the Allworx system we have in place now. We have a SIP trunk and a PRI for faxes, but PRI could go away.

What are your needs?

Do you need conferencing? Video?

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin
You can use pretty much anything, depends on your cost etc.

Mitel is a good solid solution that will cost a bit more.
Shoretel loving sucks, don't use them ever.
Cisco is going to cost you a mint and the conferencing requires a blood sacrifice to understand.
Depending on your Microsoft EA (if you have one) a standard Lync Enterprise Voice solution will also work just fine.

Mitel is probably the best bet for your needs until you guys already have Lync and you'd just be adding an SBC.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Moey posted:

Since when does Shoretel suck?

I hope you're kidding.

Poor support, no ability to contact Shoretel directly when you do have an issue, forcing expensive 3rd party support contracts, Non-standard SIP implementation, poo poo handsets (I'm looking at you 2xx series), no ability to syslog on the 50v series, and when the log buffer fills up the box reboots or just freezes up, the T1k is ok in the US, but its a complete clusterfuck for T1/E1/PRI lines outside of the US and inside the US losing your D channel signalling is just something that's super fun and does happen several times a year without cause. Their VPN concentrator box for their non-standard SIP deployment on the 2x0 series can bite my rear end as well.

Oh, and the price/performance of the shoretel conferencing system is also poo poo compared to everyone else.

There, I think that covers it.

But I'm sure NEXT year's update will make it all better, just sign here for a software assurance contract please.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin
I love Yealink phones.

That said, their VPN client is 100% garbage. Don't bother trying to get it to work.

I've got a small business client I still support who wanted a phone at home. They're 100% google apps, so everything is in the cloud except for their PBX, which is an old on-site asterisk box. I set up a Yealink at his house using a raspberry pi with an extra USB nic as his openVPN endpoint and just routed the phone through the pi, works fine. Haven't talked to him in 8 months so it's either still working or he's dead.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin
Here's something we're dealing with right now;

We have 3 domestic SIP circuits through our LEC, Electric Lightwave. These are SIP connections only, no internet access on the 5 meg circuits.

About 5 weeks ago I get a call from their fraud department that they were seeing a bunch of calls being made to the Seychelle Islands at 6pm at night. I told them to turn off international calling and I'd investigate when I got home 3 hours later.

Turns out someone screwed up the circuits and opened 2 of the 3 up to the internet so our SBC got used as a relay. Yes, it was bad on me to not have backup firewall rules in place, but please don't randomly open my poo poo to the internet. Turns out the tech didn't know how to shut down international calling so he just let it go for 3 hours. We racked up 14,000 minutes of international calls for about 12k.

We're still fighting with them over the bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Partycat posted:

Normally if you manage your own border, you are on your own for fraud charges like that.

We have a fraud detection and protection service from them, capped at 500 minutes.

But they just got bought by a new company and they're trying to say that aspect of the contract isn't valid.

• Locked thread