Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morganus_Starr
Jan 28, 2001
Two things offhand I can think of.

1 - if you don't want to mess with site-site VPN shenanigans, just make sure this user has a static IP address on their home connection, or can order a static IP address (you can then whitelist their IP to talk to your pbx). Even if they can't, and are on say, a coax cable connection, you could whitelist their /24 netblock and typically even if the are dynamically assigned another IP in 4 weeks or when they reboot their router, your whitelist will still allow things to work. Disclaimer - I've had to do this with a few one-off users on a PBX solution we manage and it has worked well enough.

2 - You could put them on a separate system, something like RingCentral single standard user. It's like 35 bucks a month for 1 user. You could then just set up a virtual extension or forward in your PBX so internal staff could dial his extension or 10 digit DID and reach his phone. Your remote user wouldn't be able to dial the Office-PBX extensions unless you set up some type of speed dials on the remote side that would dial DIDs back into the system. It's kind of hacky but if this isn't scaling up at all, this setup would work without you having to open up any ports on your firewall. I'd say a softphone is feasible but if this is a technically illiterate remote user it may be too much headache, plus troubleshooting softphones adds the overhead of "oh gently caress my PC microphone sucks on my laptop." and "oh my PC can't make calls help malware and PUPs out the rear end!"

3 - another thing to caution you about with remote users is "ghost calls" whereby a lot of the default configs on phones allow direct IP calls. You'd want to check your Granstream configs for this. What this means is that remote user's phone just rings and rings randomly off the hook at 3 AM because his lovely Linksys firewall is being scanned for SIP (5060). A lot of the NAT implementations on these consumer-grade firewalls are not very restrictive and will NAT through these scanners and send SIP Invites to the user's phone, thus causing it to ring with junk caller-ID at random hours. Google "sip ghost call" for more info. Solution is typically disabling "allow direct IP call" on the phone via its web UI or config files.

4 - just migrate everyone to a cloud-based PBX solution so you don't even have to think about your on-prem PBX anymore :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morganus_Starr
Jan 28, 2001

FatCow posted:

An ASA5505 is like $300. Don't fart around with DDWRT in a business environment.

gently caress it,

Morganus_Starr
Jan 28, 2001

Super Slash posted:

so dat linskees box is my telephone????

what? Oh the phone has to be plugged in to my router? I just plugged it into my laptop - these things should just work! UGHHH

Morganus_Starr
Jan 28, 2001

stevewm posted:

Sonicwall is the same way...

Barracuda does this poo poo too, it's obnoxious. I wasn't using your Energize Updates (fancy word for software/definition updates) for 14 months at all, why backdate it? Oh you want me to switch vendors? Gladly.

I mean I get backdating a hardware warranty for a 3 year old piece of hardware so you can't skip out on the hardware warranty cost and just re-up it later down the line and get a "Free" replacement when a unit fails, but the backdating of software updates annoys me.

Fortinet does this too with their UTM renewals on their Fortigate units - a workaround is you can typically order a 2 or 3 year renewal and they'll start the UTM license term when you apply it, versus backdating it to your lapsed support period.

Anyway /derail over

• Locked thread