Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
Important question: is this dude just working from home or is he a road warrior?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
An edge router from ubnt is $50 for the low end.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm surprised at how much duplication of effort Cisco and Meraki are doing, presumably there is a desire to keep the two brands separate but it seems really wasteful. Cisco have Spark, handsets etc.
You could say the same about Buick and Chevy. Ultimately, while they may do their own thing, I'm sure there is a lot of synergy.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I installed AsteriskNOW on a VM to play with and goddamn, I'm sorry for everyone that has to cj this professionally, you are not paid nearly enough.
The learning curve is very steep, but once you get the hang of the product it's not as terrible as it seems at first.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

OmniCorp posted:

Any recommendations on a 60+, could grow to 100 seat office phone system? We might be upgrading from the Allworx system we have in place now. We have a SIP trunk and a PRI for faxes, but PRI could go away.
How many locations?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
if cost is not an issue, would you be willing to hire me as a consultant for the project?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
We acquired some branches that had shoretel phones and they worked just fine as configured, but getting support was a pain in the rear end. We replaced it with Cisco and saved a bunch of money on support.

That should be all you need to know.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

If replacing anything with Cisco saved you money, I'm prepared to write that product off entirely.
The previous institution was behind 2 years on support, and we had to get current by paying the back years plus a year of future. Replacing their 60 or so phones with cisco (which included 3 ISRs) was less expensive.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Jonny 290 posted:

Asterisk is great if you're not relying on it for a paycheck. i run a small raspi board at home for some phones so i can sit on conference calls without burning my ear up, and I also do a lot of experimentation using the app_rpt plugin for Asterisk, which interfaces it to various two-way and ham radios. I can fire off touch tones over the air and it'll pipe back with a speech synth'd weather report or a slow-scan TV image of a webcam. And of course you can link it with other radio nodes via IAX.
I run a 200 node fax to email gateway on asterisk (well elastix, but same diff). Very successful and it saved at least 5 digits of currency.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Moey posted:

Care to elaborate on this some more?
I can elaborate some. Elastix (an asterix linux distro) has all the functionality built in. I have a sip trunk to the elastix box from my cisco call manager, and I create IAX extensions for any user that wants a DID fax number. I then tie that to a fax modem in elastix, and define an email address for the user. Call comes in to DID, routes to elastix, routes to IAX extension, routes to fax modem, turns into email with TIFF attached. it took about 15 minutes to go from reading about elastix to proof of concept, and that was 4 or 5 years ago. It's gotta be even easier today.

edit: calls that come in from our internet based sip trunk sometimes fail, but the vast majority (at least 99.5%) complete on the first retry). Our T1 calls are virtually 100% successful.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Moey posted:

This sounds pretty cool. I am getting sick managing our poo poo fax environment. It is a mix of pots lines, lines spit out via VG224 and then a bunch of ATA187/SPA112 hidden under desks and whatnot.

Edit: Are you sending faxes through Elastix as well?

You can but I don't. They just use the fax at the branch which shares a line with the Alarm.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I just recycled a bunch of yealink phones. One of our tenants bailed and left behind about 10. Guess I should have kept them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Kazinsal posted:

gently caress Cisco DX-series personal telepresence endpoints.

That is all.

Why? I just ordered 4 DX-80s. Don't make me nervous.

• Locked thread