Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

As mentioned before they may be looking for open registrations or easy to guess ones (usually I don't see them bother to try and register they just place calls), or an agent that's open that will permit their call to complete somewhere, if it does , then try often seem to try and get their calls to go through to a mailbox or do something they can break out of.

I would not expect anyone to be wasting their time dialing random extensions@ip trying to reach you for a scam but who knows.

You can block attempts or just let them do nothing and fail out, I've never seen the scanning really get _more_ aggressive because something responded. If your PBX responds with what it is, then there is a shot they can exploit it. I installed Trixbox years ago and it was hacked in like ... an hour, just installing a Live CD to see what was up.

BTW these things still come by in H.323 as well as SIP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Normally if you manage your own border, you are on your own for fraud charges like that.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I guess it depends what you mean by fraud, and fraud detection.

Most of the major carriers like Verizon or AT&T have fraud services and departments - and they're aware of toll fraud or suspicious destinations (some of which can get you a call from ye olde FBI). If they see your account making calls to those numbers then it is pretty easy to ring it up as potential fraud. Sometimes the "fraud" is that your PBX Is leaky and someone can get in and use it to place their calls - not for the purposes of making money from the far end but making calls for free. That is not always considered fraud. AT&T used to reach out if they saw you were racking up a large bill on an international call or something to make sure it was legitimate. In other cases, the provider may terminate long distance or international services from your billing account until they can reach you.
Or it could just look like call traffic and then you get stuck with a bill - and that's not really their problem if the reason for it is because your system let it in.

I'm not really including warranty/guarantee type services in that designation, of course.

Now in the case of "If it's fraud, and you can't get to us to stop it, shut it down" depending on how that's done that could be bad for your business. You can make arrangements to not have them do that, just notify you and not tamper with your traffic, but, if you do that then you are responsible for charges post-notification often.

This is also from the perspective of TDM services where it is not really as easy to filter your outbound traffic in their backend due to the way the call is being presented and metered.

In general "toll fraud" detection is a service any useful carrier should have, abuse/misuse detection usually is not necessarily. But your telephony solution could also have usage monitoring that can alert you when X number of units of calling have been used, or over a deviation or something to help you pinpoint these things as well.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

True, I do not work for a wholesale provider. As an end customer we have been on the receiving end of the situation I'm describing a few times. Once we have made arrangements to not have the carrier disrupt our traffic, it has come with the stipulation that if they determine it is fraud or are suspicious of it being fraud, and they let us know, we are on the hook for it.

I am more in the role of being a customer of someone such as yourself.

• Locked thread