Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

What do I do with that Link-Skis thing you mailed me?

so dat linskees box is my telephone????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Ok legit question;

Currently we use Salesforce along with a hosted VOIP provider and both are connected. This year we'll be moving away from both as a bespoke CRM build is currently underway and we'll be moving to a much cheaper VOIP provider.

Now the problem; our director wants to move to the new VOIP while we're still using Salesforce. Why is it a problem? Because the provider doesn't have any kind of connector, adapter, or call center app for Salesforce.

So I'm shopping around the SF app store without much hope as it's filled with expensive businesses to sign on with, or cruddy outdated packages which are highly questionable.

Any recommendations out there for a connector?

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Thanks Ants posted:

From a brief look and not a recommendation because I have never used it before:

https://appexchange.salesforce.com/listingDetail?listingId=a0N30000004g5sgEAA

If your new hosted provider doesn't have a TAPI/CTI thing to connect to then you're probably out of luck.

I actually ended up giving this a go since there's pretty much nothing else, unfortunately it was waaaaaay too fiddly to use. You need to install and configure a TAPI driver on every machine, along with a local client of the connector software, the worst part is Salesforce has it's own built in crappy call center you have to use which is missing important parts (e.g. transfer call list). So ultimately things would get even more complicated and I'm sure our users would hate me off the face of the earth.

No beef with you but just a general gripe.

Personally I don't think there's any point whatsoever in jumping providers for the sake of a few months in the first place, but I've told the boss it's just not practical and we'd be worse off for many different reasons.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
How prolific are hosted VOIP products with built in user monitoring suites and reporting interface?

There's a bit of a shitstorm brewing since despite hating everything about our old host they want its features back. Before everything was cloud/software based with the hardware just being an end-point of sorts, there would be a CRM applet staff would log into to make calls and control their user state (Ready, Out to lunch etc) which would feedback into an integrated reporting interface, but it didn't quite properly integrate with our IP phones leaving some janky issues.

Now the host we have now is more hardware based where the phones fully connect to the service, however there is almost zero user state control and minimal reporting (They would have to use the softphone interface to control their state). Despite the main goal from the big cheese to save money (previous host was hideously expensive) a main department is claiming they literally cannot function without the previous functionality.

I'm just honestly curious how common functions like these are and if it's more of a "You get what you pay for" kinda deal.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
This is probably a long shot, but is there anyone out there who has hooked up a Yealink phone with a VPN?

I'm having a hell of a time getting home working VOIP operations up and running, and my hope was using these phones since they support OpenVPN as recommended by our VOIP host... but they can't actually assist with the setup beyond configuring the phones.

I haven't had much time to spend on this but I spent the last hour of the day setting up the OpenVPN hyper-v appliance, but I'm assuming I need to at least get an external IP/domain to route through and open up relevant firewall ports, then bundle the client.crt/client.key/ca.crt into a .tar to upload to the phone?

I mean I've hosed around with OpenVPN on a raspberry pi and my mobile phone, but that was a whole lot simpler in comparison.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Just kind of a bare-bones guide really, my google-fu lead me to a few guides but they all slightly differ in some way. At the very least I've got a VM set up but not the connectivity, and the keys etc I think need generating but the web interface is a bit vague so I'm guessing the meat of things need to be done in CLI.

With the rasp pi I basically just ran the http://www.pivpn.io/ command, generated a user, fetched the .opvn key file and slapped it onto my mobile for the OpenVPN client app to read.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

DigitalMocking posted:

That said, their VPN client is 100% garbage. Don't bother trying to get it to work.
Aww man don't say that, besides that I'm still smashing myself against OpenVPN. Using the ready made VHD they offer I can't make any headway in getting a test connection working, and with any github easy setup scripts out there I can't find where they store the key and cert files.

It's annoying because at home it's a piece of piss, PiVPN > Open firewall > SFTP the keyfile > Boom done.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

unknown posted:

Any managed voip provider can do what you want - a simple IVR and "follow me" for the extensions to get forwarded to a cell phone.

Pretty much this; for example the product we use customer facing numbers have an IVR which leads to different department extensions with their own call rules. For individual stuff if you were to call my extension it's programmable to go to a voicemail box or can be automatically sent elsewhere, this also is extended to a handset where you can setup call forwarding or forking.

I can only speak for two hosted products though, one purpose-built for SFDC and another purely UK based.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Thanks Ants posted:

Snom phones have magnetic hook switches, work perfectly.
That sounds like an utterly amazing quality of life thing.

Also I suppose this is a big question but what the gently caress are you supposed to do about extending business VOIP to home users? I've tried everything I could think of but call quality remains lovely despite working correctly, at the moment a home user can only use an RDP session to access company resources and the one last thing I haven't tried is getting the office router QoS set to prioritise RDP traffic. My networking knowledge isn't that fantastic so I don't know if prioritising RDP traffic would negatively affect the office VOIP, which would be a big problem since we're a contact center.

The only options I can think of to get this off the ground are;
- Install business WAN links to every home workers house
- Replace RDP with VPN but doesn't really change things from a QoS point of view
- Install business grade routers, questionable if ISPs are compatible

Super Slash fucked around with this message at 09:54 on May 25, 2017

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
No port forwarding just an RDP session connected to our Terminal Server (2008 R2, Poorly setup), it's also been tested using a thin client and a desktop without a difference. The quality seemed all over the place as calling a mobile phone had perfect quality besides having a 1 second lag time, one internal call was good, another two were jittery as gently caress, another had great inbound but outbound sounded underwater.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Bingo, RD Session Host/Remoteapp/RDS Manager only (I'm pressing to replace it with a new server host and to be setup with RD Gateway and Connection Broker) and the softphone is just a web interface using a USB headset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
It's hosted off-prem, we don't own it it's a product we pay for

• Locked thread