Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Looking forward to paying for incredibly dumb fanart for this LP too, what will it be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Nier is like the ultimate example of a piece of art being more than the sum of its parts. I could write paragraphs about all its flaws, and yet I can't imagine ever being asked "what are your favorite video games" and not including Nier in my response.

E: Also, Jordan, you misspelled "Rad" in the thread title

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser
Oh man I can't wait to see all the infuriating gameplay of a Taro Yoko game in real time, after reading about all the hype in DarkId's LP.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The intro rant never fails to crack me up

Any chance you can bring in Dark Id as a guest commentator?

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette
I've never heard of this game, but that first video was cute, and charming, and pretty, so I'm pretty excited to see this blind.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
I loved this game but can't bring myself to bust out the old dusty rear end PS3 to play it before the sequel releases, so this LP will be just fantastic.

Skrewtape
Sep 10, 2003
I like pie
I've never heard of this game before, but I'm totally sold on this LP from the first video. I'm really curious how the "real world" combat will compare to the dream combat we've seen so far.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

:synthy: Update Time! :synthy:

Normally I would update this thread on Saturday, but there's something special happening tomorrow that I would like to bring y'all's attention to. A sequel to NieR called NieR: Automata is in development right now and it's looking pretty good. So far information on the game has been pretty light, but that's about to change. Tomorrow at 5:30 pm JST there's going to be a NieR concert where a whole bunch of new information about NieR: Auomata will be revealed.

The event will be broadcast like here. Viewing isn't free unfortunately, and you'll have to pay 2000 yen (approximately $20) for a digital ticket. NicoNico is a pretty crummy service and I wouldn't recommend it personally, but the option is always open! Any information shared at the event will be made public shortly afterwards as well.

NieR: Automata takes place hundreds of years after the events of NieR, so I'm sure you won't have to worry about spoilers too much during the event. Viewer discretion is advised either way, though!

Yonah's Diary Entries:

Weapon Stories:

Nameless Blade

quote:

Level 1:
GAK GAK GAK GAK
A man is sweating as he chips away at the iron ore.
Men's joyful singing fills the dark cave.
We are workers. We are miners.
Workers covered in dirt. Today we will mine for metal in high spirit too.
GAK GAK GAK GAK

Level 2:
VROOM VROOM VROOM VROOM
The sound of women working the furnace can be heard from the refinery.
The sound of red hot iron sand taken from the furnace.
We are workers. We are iron makers.
Workers who utilize the wind. Today we will make iron in high spirits too.
VROOM VROOM VROOM VROOM

Level 3:
GAN GAN GAN GAN
The sound of hammering for the creation of a strong and powerful sword.
I am a swordsmith. A natural born swordsmith.
A swordsmith who controls steel.
GAN GAN GAN GAN

Level 4:
SLASH SLASH SLASH SLASH
The sound of flesh being slashed apart on the battlefield.
The sound of killing, killing whoever. The sound of killing people.
Can anyone help me? It hurts. It hurts.
Help me mother.
SLASH SLASH SLASH SLASH

Nirvana Dagger

quote:

Level 1:
Ever since her birth, the girl had been told she had a fiancée.
During her upbringing, she was taught how to be a proper wife.
At night, she offered prayers for her fiancée while facing the scenery outside her window.
"Lord XX, I eagerly await the day of your arrival."

Level 2:
Several other girls lived in the house that she lived in.
During their upbringing, they were taught how to be proper wives.
At night, they offered prayers for their fiancées while facing the scenery outside their windows.
"Lord XX, I eagerly await your arrival.

Level 3:

One day, the girls had an argument about whether only the most brilliant of them would be the one chosen by their fiancée.
The girls stubbornly clung to their claim that they were best suited as a fiancée.
Their caretaker said to them gently, "Don't worry, you will all be Lord XX's wives."
Hearing that, the girls all broke out into smiles.

Level 4:
On the day of the wedding, the girls were brought to a place with stone pavement that could be seen from their windows.
A single dagger was given to the girls.
They were told that, to meet their fiancée, they would have to kill themselves right there.
Hearing this, the girls fought for the dagger and committed suicide.

Afterwards, a temple was built on the grounds where the girls died. The temple's name was that of their fiancée.

:smith:

Fenns
Mar 18, 2015

[INSERT TEXT HERE]
Since Ikwaylx brought up speedruns of Nier in this video I'll just point out (for anyone else interested as well, I guess) that they do use rolling for movement, but they use the side roll since it's faster and goes farther. It also looks fairly hilarious.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."
For a tiny, sick child it seems like Yonah really made it pretty far. This is a cautionary tale about not lying to your children, though given what we've seen of her I am a bit surprised she hadn't run off after pink goats ages ago.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

A bit disappointed you didn't call attention to the music layering in the village, but I guess there's a better time later.

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

You can trip on my synthesizer.
You can say whatever for the graphics but this is one of the prettiest games I've played, along with SotC, fantastic soundtrack as well.
Really glad to see a good vlp of this.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
For what it's worth, the NIrvana Dagger's asymmetrical blade design isn't just a Soul Reaver thing. It's an Indonesian design and how you can tell the dagger's meant to be a pretty standard kris.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
It's nice to see a video LP of Gary Busey's Fatherhood Fantasy. I've played and beaten the game before and didn't know about the perfect guard&counter system.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Sure does look weird killing small shades that are holding books like they are children. Not aggressive like the bigger ones and probably wanted to learn to read on their way to killing the people in town.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Today we meet up with an old(?) friend(?) and try our darndest to save Yonah! Also, we set off on a grand adventure.

A quick heads-up: I'm currently dealing with a nerve issue in one of my arms that is making playing video games for any long amount of time very difficult for me. Two of my friends have offered to give me a hand recording footage for the time being. They've been a great help so far, but obviously I wouldn't want to burden them with extended instructions on how to get the right shot at every opportunity. So if you ever see something go by a little too fast or Nier standing still for a little too long, that's probably why.

Bless their hearts either way! :angel:

Weapon Stories:

Lily-Leaf Sword

quote:

Level 1:
I love him from the bottom of my heart.
And I know he loves me too.
Every time our eyes would meet, I could see the looks he'd give me.
And I could hear him telling me to keep this hidden from everyone.
And to hide all my feelings and gifts for him.
To keep them locked away in my room.
He was my one and only.

Level 2:
I can't believe him.
The one I thought was my friend seduced and stole him away from me.
And he just disappeared and left me alone.
Only I remained, alongside all the things I hid away and never gave him.
I sold them all off at the market.

Level 3:
I can't forgive him.
He was taken away from me against his will by that woman.
He still loves me—I know it—and I have to make him realize how much better and nice I am than she ever will be!
I just have to get rid of her!
I have to find her, beat her, main her, and rip her to pieces!!

Level 4:
Blinded by and jealousy, she took off after the young and naïve couple.
And stabbed and beat them until her sword was warped and bent from the abuse.
The next day, she was nowhere to be found.
And sticking out of the pile of meat and flesh that was once a couple of humans, stood the twisted blade.
Countless blacksmiths forged and remade the sword, but no matter how hard they tried, it would never regain its former shape.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

And because the music is awesome, here's The Song of the Ancients that Devola sings.

http://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DV1CjxQXXA7o

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And here's the sprites I did of the twins years ago.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

And here's the sprites I did of the twins years ago.

Aww, this is adorable. The twins are my favorite side characters in the game!

Also, I forgot about the optional Yonah conversations. I was not always as good a dad as you are being. I really appreciate all the small world and character details they sneak into the game. Not really groundbreaking or anything but its well enough done and adds a lot I think.

Also, if anyone was unaware, NieR is on sale for $10 for the PS3 in the North America Square Enix store right now.

jaydee864
Aug 15, 2010

Life is such a drag when the whole world's falling apart
I like to think Liam O'Brien's sole direction for this game was "Give us your best Alan Rickman impression". He's so haughty, it's fun to listen to. :allears:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

I'm pretty sure Weiss has a black cover, right?

shroomich
Apr 2, 2014

a black cover, yeah, but a lot of the detail on that cover is silver/white.

Warren Waters
Feb 27, 2011
There's basically no way our smugly superior, self-proclaimed Omnipotent and Also Very Important Book will turn out to be less than super nice.
Right? :v

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

For the longest time I thought Liam O'Brien's Grimoire Weiss voice was his real voice because his Illidan Stormrage and War voices are so similar, but it's not. He doesn't even have a British accent!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

DOOP posted:

I'm pretty sure Weiss has a black cover, right?

that would be some textbook irony

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

shroomich posted:

a black cover, yeah, but a lot of the detail on that cover is silver/white.

ok, didnt get taht good a look at it

No way that book is evil tho. Just looks like smiles and sunshine

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Looks like a goomba in a Destro mask.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
These sword effects sound super-familiar and it's driving me crazy trying to remember where I've heard them before.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

I've got a very special update for you all today. As I've mentioned before, NieR is a sorta-kinda sequel to Drakengard. The games are only very tenuously related to one another and knowledge of Drakengard's plot isn't a requirement for enjoying NieR. That said, I do think you'll get a whole lot more out of this LP if you at least have a cursory idea of what Drakengard is and what happens in it.

So to that end, here is a 45-minute video in which I explain the plot of Drakengard to an increasingly dumbfounded Ikwaylx. Enjoy!

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

That was pretty great, thanks! I kinda just knew the major plot beats of Drakengard before this so being able to follow along as it all unfolds made the story a lot easier to follow.
Yoko Taro is a treasure of a writer.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yoko Taro is one of those directors that makes games with pretty engaging, unique stories, but just the worst gameplay, like early Suda51 and Swery. You can imagine, then, why people were excited to see that he's making a game with Platinum.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
There was an artbook thing that covered a bit of the Drakenpast and Young Verdelet had a Fabio-esque luxurious mane, so that hair price might have hit him harder.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Archenteron posted:

There was an artbook thing that covered a bit of the Drakenpast and Young Verdelet had a Fabio-esque luxurious mane, so that hair price might have hit him harder.

His loss was great.

Nice to see both a video LP of this, and also the reaction of someone coming in blind.

JordanKai posted:

So to that end, here is a 45-minute video in which I explain the plot of Drakengard to an increasingly dumbfounded Ikwaylx. Enjoy!

:allears:

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
For a moment I thought you had forgotten about the reveal of the scaffolding giants as (to me) that was the first weird/memorable moment in this game, the second of course being magical flying fortress nukes.

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser

Pesky Splinter posted:

His loss was great.

Holy poo poo he looks like a Castlevania protagonist.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

Aww man, I was listening to this with a friend who is unfamiliar with all this (Besides a few offhand comments from me and some of DoD3 she has seen) and she seemed as confused as Ikwaylx. I can't wait to get to B through E paths.

Waffleman_ posted:

Yoko Taro is one of those directors that makes games with pretty engaging, unique stories, but just the worst gameplay, like early Suda51 and Swery. You can imagine, then, why people were excited to see that he's making a game with Platinum.

That's how I feel too, but every time he has a new game I am afraid it will turn out like new Suda51. Its hard to keep going on weird charm, but Yoko Taro has managed so far.

Pesky Splinter posted:

His loss was great.

I forgot how anime he was!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

That was fun. I can't wait for the next part.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

MrAptronym posted:

That's how I feel too, but every time he has a new game I am afraid it will turn out like new Suda51. Its hard to keep going on weird charm, but Yoko Taro has managed so far.

I feel like the difference between the two is that, from what I understand, Suda just comes up with an idea and then lets a staff of writers work on it, so his actual input is light. Yoko Taro on the other hand seems to be part of the process throughout the entire development. So I think while that still stands, Yoko Taro's special brand of storytelling will continue to shine because he puts the work in for his ideas.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I can't remember what thread it was where I read it but people were talking about Suda51 and I think someone else too- the games in the discussion were Killer is Dead and Shadow of the damned and I remember the thing being that one game was told 'tone back the weirdness' [Shadow] and the other one was told to pump it up [Killer] and that's why poo poo like the Giggalo missions existed in the first place.

I'll try and find where it was that people were talking about it because my memory sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

im kinda sad yoko taro actually learned on how to write compelling characters whose trials and tribulations you feel for because caim being an rear end in a top hat who kicks children and old men in the head is still the best thing

• Locked thread